Break in oil for 2005 LS2

Hello, I recently rebuilt my 2005 corvette’s LS2. I’m about ready to start it but I want to be 100% certain what I’m giving my car will be the best for it. I have already put 6 quarts of Joe Gibbs (Driven) 5w-30 break in oil and after the initial start and vacuum pulls I was planning to put in 6 quarts of dino STP 5w-30 from autozone with a rislone zinc supplement as this is all I could find nearby to me. Will this second option potentially be harmful? I have seen mixed opinion online in the rare occasion I see this topic being discussed, on one hand there are people saying conventional with ZDDP additives are interchangeable with specialty break in oil And just as many people it’s a stupid idea to use normal oil (I haven’t seen comments about the additives however). There are also people recommended to use 5w-40 or even straight weights too. In addition, If I am good to use Dino oil with an additive is there one ZDDP additive I should use over others? I would appreciate some guidance on this topic greatly. Thank you in advance!

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

I would go by what is on the fill cap. Mobil 1 full synthetic and if I remember correctly it's a 10W30. I owned a brand new 2005 Corvette and drove it up to 82,000 miles and sold it last summer to buy a C7. I had great luck with the Mobil 1 synthetic. My 2005 Corvette didn't burn any oil between changes and I changed it at least once every year and many times twice.

Ftb9tUi3QYOeDS9WWyy%SA.jpg

ma3tiudgStOLrClaQwXbBg.jpg

For off the shelf oils to use in something like that I'd get castrol edge euro 5w-30. I wouldn't bother with any additives.

Did you build the bottom end? I would ask the builder what they recommend for break-in oil/mileage etc.
You seem to already have the break-in oil, so the procedure you use to load & unload the rings is all you need to decide.

run the break in oil for your initial heat cycles and drives then drain it. if you kept stock clearances, my recomendations are in order. any HPL 5w-30 or 5w-40, Valvoline EP HM 5w-30, any Euro 5w-30/40, or PUP.

In all reality, you spent a lot of money getting your LS2 back to like new condition and your best option is a boutique like HPL to keep it healthy for a long time.
even their PCMO 5w-30/40 lines will be plenty of protection, but you can go up from there.

My recommendation would be the same oil I'm running in my C7, which is Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. This oil is a little bit more stout than the normal Mobil 1 5w30, it's formulated on the thicker end of the 30wt range and has a stronger HTHS of 3.5, compared to 3.1 for the regular M1 5w30. That way when the oil temperatures are hotter and you're driving it hard, it will protect the engine better.

With a roller cam, I don't think the zinc has much relevance. These came out of the production plant with Mobil 1, nothing special.

With a roller cam, I don't think the zinc has much relevance. These came out of the production plant with Mobil 1, nothing special.
If the lifters are roller, and the rocker arms are roller, you are correct. Zinc only really matters for flat tappet cams and lifters. Think old school SBC/SBF cam and lifter setups.

If the lifters are roller, and the rocker arms are roller, you are correct. Zinc only really matters for flat tappet cams and lifters. Think old school SBC/SBF cam and lifter setups.
My 25 yr old S10 4.3 V6 has a roller cam and roller rockers so this config has been around a while in GMs.

Back