Oil Info Overload 0W-20

So i am in quite a bind here. I have a flaw where I research things to the point where it makes it difficult to conclude on the actual product to purchase (in this case Oil) m. I have a brand new Lexus which I plan to do all my own maintenence on (at increased intervals that Lexus recommended of every 10k miles). I have my choices down to Mobil 1, Pennzoil, or GTMO. I understand Exxon makes GtMO but also that its different than their Mobil 1 brand. I can get 6 qts of GTMO for around $40 locally vs market pricing on M1 and Pennzoil. What do you all recommend? I know GTMO has more moly which maybe explains the 10k oil change intervals however I just need someone to knock me straight. I plan to change after the first 1000 miles and then at every 5000 mile interval thereafter.

Thanks!

if you dont have a stash of free or cheapo oil and only acquire said oil the day of the oil change= Supertech or QS depending on the price.

If you plan to build a proverbial oil depot in the garage, then keep it an eye out for deals. If you are flexible in oil weight, even better, where you could be paid to use their oil.

If you feel the oils in store are lacking you are free to open up to boutique oils like HPL, but they are priced accordingly for long service intervals etc. 5k is going to be costly in that direction.

if you dont have a stash of free or cheapo oil and only acquire said oil the day of the oil change= Supertech or QS depending on the price.

If you plan to build a proverbial oil depot in the garage, then keep it an eye out for deals. If you are flexible in oil weight, even better, where you could be paid to use their oil.

If you feel the oils in store are lacking you are free to open up to boutique oils like HPL.
I dont think I need an HPL (or want to pay for that). I think store bought oils will be sufficient. I used to wait until pennzoil or M1 ran a rebate (usually pennzoil) and stocked up then.

So i am in quite a bind here. I have a flaw where I research things to the point where it makes it difficult to conclude on the actual product to purchase (in this case Oil) m. I have a brand new Lexus which I plan to do all my own maintenence on (at increased intervals that Lexus recommended of every 10k miles). I have my choices down to Mobil 1, Pennzoil, or GTMO. I understand Exxon makes GtMO but also that its different than their Mobil 1 brand. I can get 6 qts of GTMO for around $40 locally vs market pricing on M1 and Pennzoil. What do you all recommend? I know GTMO has more moly which maybe explains the 10k oil change intervals however I just need someone to knock me straight. I plan to change after the first 1000 miles and then at every 5000 mile interval thereafter.

Thanks!
What Lexus and engine?

I dont think I need an HPL (or want to pay for that). I think store bought oils will be sufficient. I used to wait until pennzoil or M1 ran a rebate (usually pennzoil) and stocked up then.

Each manufacturer’s leading GF6A will be fine, then.

If you want the potential for less wear and don’t want to spend more, you’ll have to go outside the manufacturer’s recommended spec and run a 0w30 or even something like an A40 approved euro oil like M1 0w40. The onus is on you to make sure it is safe though (odds are, it is).

If you want something with an even better potential, you have to pay more.

Owners manual just says GF6A. I guess I am overthinking it
Many GF6A oils also meet Dexos1 Gen3, which is a more stringent spec in some areas. I'd use any D1G3 oil. Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum are both good choices, though your choice of oil won't matter much if you stick to 5k OCIs.

Many GF6A oils also meet Dexos1 Gen3, which is a more stringent spec in some areas. I'd use any D1G3 oil. Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum are both good choices, though your choice of oil won't matter much if you stick to 5k OCIs.
See i was really confused about the penn plat vs ultra plat. I know the ultra plat isnt dexos but should be better than plat?

Mobil 1 formulations have changed, not saying better or worse. TGMO has a strong additive package with a lot of dinuclear moly but I quit using it when found the base oil inferior to GTL base. Now use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with a strong additive package and GTL. Definately wait for the rebate to stock up.

Edit… I see the turbo on post 18. Personally would follow the OM.

Last edited:
Back