Snow RFT tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edy, congrats on your new car. Neighbour has one in white , he had no problems whatsoever in this few years, only brakes. Brakes are really expensive. IIRC over 1k only discs and pads.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Edy, congrats on your new car. Neighbour has one in white , he had no problems whatsoever in this few years, only brakes. Brakes are really expensive. IIRC over 1k only discs and pads.

I always liked BMW's. I know brakes are not long lasting, but makes sense since it is braking like crazy. Actually, brakes are not that expensive if you are doing it on your own, and I do those stuff for all my cars.
OEM pads on ecstuning are $156 (front pads) while Pagid (OEM supplier) goes for $65, Textar goes for like 80+. EBC Red Stuff are around $120.
Rotors are in the similar ballpark. So pretty much, OEM front pads are like $40 more expensive then for my wife's Tiguan.
But, if you take it to dealer they will rip you off.

I've run a set of the Hakka R2 SUVs (in 235/70R16) on the Jeep in my sig the last 2 winters. I've also driven a set on a friend's Highlander. They're fairly quiet as far as winters go (they had a bit of a whine in the Highlander, but I can't hear my set at all from inside). No noticeable mpg penalty either, and they grip very well. They're a little mushy on dry pavement in the winter, but not unpleasant. IIRC, cost was around $160/tire.

As far as the cost of maintenance, it's not even just the dealers. For BMWs and such, it's usually not the parts that kill you, it's the cost of someone willing to touch the thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I've run a set of the Hakka R2 SUVs (in 235/70R16) on the Jeep in my sig the last 2 winters. I've also driven a set on a friend's Highlander. They're fairly quiet as far as winters go (they had a bit of a whine in the Highlander, but I can't hear my set at all from inside). No noticeable mpg penalty either, and they grip very well. They're a little mushy on dry pavement in the winter, but not unpleasant. IIRC, cost was around $160/tire.

As far as the cost of maintenance, it's not even just the dealers. For BMWs and such, it's usually not the parts that kill you, it's the cost of someone willing to touch the thing.

Yeah, I always tell people if you buy car like this always have good Indy mechanic that knows these cars.
Luckily, I have guy from the Balkans here in the Springs who actually worked in Munich as BMW technician.
So once warranty is expired, he can do more complicated stuff. As far as regular maintenance (brakes, oil etc) my garage will do
smile.gif

Thank on info about Hakka R2. They look really good, and I want hardcore snow tire so I know they will be mushy on dry pavement, so tire like Michelin Xi2 or Alpin are out of question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back