Snow RFT tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
So I got rid of my VW CC and got BMW X5 35d. Great machine!
Anyway, I have on car now 19 inch All Season tires, and I am about to order new set of 18 inch wheels for winter.
This X5 has 3rd row seats, so no space for spare tire, meaning, I am stuck with RFT's unless I want to risk with some tire patch kit. Still did not decide on that.
Anyway, anyone has experience with snow RFT's?
I found on tire rack Good Year Ultra Grip SUV (good scores in European testings), Pirelli Scorpion Winter. Any experience with those tires?
Bridgestone LM-60 are almost $300 so I will skip them.
Any other suggestions, opinions?

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Hey guys,
Anyway, I have on car now 19 inch All Season tires, and I am about to order new set of 18 inch wheels for winter.
This X5 has 3rd row seats, so no space for spare tire, meaning, I am stuck with RFT's unless I want to risk with some tire patch kit. Still did not decide on that.
I found on tire rack Good Year Ultra Grip SUV (good scores in European testings), Pirelli Scorpion Winter. Any experience with those tires?
So you can afford the car but not tires. Must be a lease.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Hey guys,
So you can afford the car but not tires. Must be a lease.

I can afford tire, and it is not lease.
I had LM-60 on VW CC, and while they are good in snow, they were just too soft.
They are going for $300, while GY UG goes for $206 and Pirelli for $221. Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2, new SUV winter tire goes in DT for $156 for 255/55 R18, but it is not RFT.
I highly doubt LM-60 is worth $100 per piece compare to GY UG. I can afford car, but that does not mean I should be stupid.

When I went to school in Auto Mech I worked nights at your favorite houshold name in discount tools and tires in the garage.

From my PERSONAL experience, you'd be amazed at how threadbare some of the 4 year old BMW owner's tires were. They definately had something figured out that I didn't.

I'd offer the advice, "you need new tires, yours are dangerously worn out"...

After showing them prices, I learned to recommend two things as absolutely nothing else made them leave quicker:

1) Walmart is that way.

2) No, this expired $19.95 oil change coupon doesn't apply to your car.

Now here is what I would buy for tires if I owned your X5:

(Looks up in the air and fantasizes for a minute...)

I'd get the Blizzaks and enjoy them.

Don't stick Dollar Tree tires on such a nice ride.

Seeing the Blizzak logo on the sidewalls would go best with your X5 and give you performance that would actually be worth the extra cost.

Just my opinion though... I'd feel cheap having Goodyear tires on a BMW, it would bother me for the small extra cost to have some pride in your ride.

I owned Pirelli Snow Control tires on my Fit and they were horrible. Tossed them after only ONE season and got Yokohama IG20s at the time and those were DARN EXPENSIVE 15" TIRES IN CANADA AT THE TIME.

I don't think Pirelli makes good Winter tires. No, I'm not saying it is an Italian thing, they just aren't the greatest from my own experience sliding through stop signs all Winter on a set (they were the only 175s on the market at the time).

And TRUST ME, I am a CHEAP GUY. I cut my own hair and change my own tires in the street (just did it today actually).

I drive a Fit and I can't afford to feed a gold fish for Pete's sake.

Seriously think about that one "The Ultimate Driving Machine" guy! Don't be a part of the BMW stereotype! (the actual stereotype I mean).

Hope this helps out, I vote Blizzaks.

Last edited:
I have two sets of Blizzaks (all 4 tires) for each of our two cars. You can't go wrong with Blizzaks. They are great winter tires. They actually have traction on glare ice, something that can't be said for some other snow tires. On glare ice Blizzaks grip about half as much as studded tires. You have to take it easy but you still have complete control.

If you run Blizzaks in warm weather you will wear them out fast. So you have to have a set of summer tires (or all season) and be sure to NOT to run the Blizzaks in warm weather.

You bought a car on Consumer Reports "worse than average" list.
Is that smart?

I do not read CR.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I have two sets of Blizzaks (all 4 tires) for each of our two cars. You can't go wrong with Blizzaks. They are great winter tires. They actually have traction on glare ice, something that can't be said for some other snow tires. On glare ice Blizzaks grip about half as much as studded tires. You have to take it easy but you still have complete control.

If you run Blizzaks in warm weather you will wear them out fast. So you have to have a set of summer tires (or all season) and be sure to NOT to run the Blizzaks in warm weather.

Yeah, have Blizzaks on Tiguan (WS70), and had LM-60 on my previous car. Probably I will get new wheels, downsize to 235/60 R18 and get DM-V2. Get spare tire set, and on long drives and skiing just put in trunk. Problem is this is 3rd row seat version, so no additional trunk compartment for spare.

Last edited:
People don't even like run-flat NON winter tires!

What tire size do you have? Your X5 was available with multiple tire sizes. You can also minus-size with tires, a smaller size than you use for summer or all-season, which can give you a better price

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
People don't even like run-flat NON winter tires!

What tire size do you have? Your X5 was available with multiple tire sizes. You can also minus-size with tires, a smaller size than you use for summer or all-season, which can give you a better price

Yeah, I just researched, 235/60 R18 is smallest option. So will get new set of 18 inch wheels, probably Blizzaks DM-V2 and spare tire.

I've got dunlop wintersport M3 dsst on my car. hardwearing, but a bit noisy. and you do loose some comfort with the rft. they were under the limit for winter use afterlast winter so continued using them on the rear during summer. still didn't wear them out completely.

17" on my car though...

You bought a car on Consumer Reports "worse than average" list.
Is that smart?

Who says vehicles should only be purchased based on reliability stats, and CR's stats at that?

Yeah, I just researched, 235/60 R18 is smallest option. So will get new set of 18 inch wheels,

That's the size we're running on the Q5 for winter. There is a decent selection of winter tires available in this size, and the sidewall height provides good protection from winter potholes, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yeah, I just researched, 235/60 R18 is smallest option. So will get new set of 18 inch wheels,

That's the size we're running on the Q5 for winter. There is a decent selection of winter tires available in this size, and the sidewall height provides good protection from winter potholes, IMO.

Yeah, I always downsize to minimum during winter. On Tiguan I put 215/65 R16, while in the summer I put 235/50 R18.
And like you said, it does service to the car when all potholes start to pop out.
What are you using? Those General's?

What are you using?

Nokian Hakka R2 SUV.

How are they? If you do not mind, how much you paid a piece?

Nokian Hakka R2 SUV.

How are they?

Fine, I guess. I don't really have a good point of reference because we have not used any other winter tires on this vehicle yet.

They feel slightly softer than the all-season Contis 235/55/19 that we use during the other three seasons, but that's to be expected given the taller sidewalls and R-speed rating. They did well in snow during last winter. Haven't really had any serious icy conditions, so I can't comment on that.

Quote:

If you do not mind, how much you paid a piece?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...tud#Post3892842

Nokian Hakka R2 SUV.

How are they?

Fine, I guess. I don't really have a good point of reference because we have not used any other winter tires on this vehicle yet.

They feel slightly softer than the all-season Contis 235/55/19 that we use during the other three seasons, but that's to be expected given the taller sidewalls and R-speed rating. They did well in snow during last winter. Haven't really had any serious icy conditions, so I can't comment on that.

Quote:

If you do not mind, how much you paid a piece?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...tud#Post3892842

Yeah, now I remember that.
That is not bad price for those tires.

Discount Tire had them on sale last year around thanksgiving time. They were around $150 a piece i think, which was a lot cheaper than any official Nokian dealer.

Discount Tire had them on sale last year around thanksgiving time. They were around $150 a piece i think, which was a lot cheaper than any official Nokian dealer.

Good point. I will wait for thanxgiving since Colorado winter does not really hit until December/January in full force, and even that is not as bad as February-April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back