Should I Continue With Shaeffer's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Shaeffer's Supreme 9000 in my 2006 Avalon since I quit going to the dealer at about 24k mi. I now have 52k and will need to change at 53k for 10k on this change. I have been satisfied with the Shaeffer's. I might not trust another oil to go 10k before changing though. It took me 3 OCI's to work up confidence to go 10k. We are not real hard on an engine but do expect it to last at least 200,000 miles. Since I'm now retired, that may take another 8-10 years. I use Wix(NAPA Gold) or Toyota filters.

I've got to put in my order to Salesrep soon if I'm going to stick with Shaeffer's. Otherwise, what would the "experts" here recommend to replace it.

John
W.TN

You'll here a lot of opinions here on BITOG. Most of us will agree with this. "If it's working for you, and everything seems to be smooth. Don't change anything that you're doing" The good old 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' statement says it best and most will agree.

It is a great oil and there are a few others that you could buy off the shelf that could work as well but as previously posted, if it is working well for you then why change.

I'd stick with the Schaeffers oil. Especially if it took you time to build the confidence to go the 10K. Since you're a BITOG member you might find yourself up late one night in a cold sweat wondering if the new oil is up to the task.

I don't know a thing about Schaeffers, I'm sure it's good, but I have done 10,000 mile OCIs with M1 oils for 31 years with never a failure. My engines have remained very clean and long lived, so with the right oil, yes, 10,000 miles is no problem.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd stick with the Schaeffers oil. Especially if it took you time to build the confidence to go the 10K. Since you're a BITOG member you might find yourself up late one night in a cold sweat wondering if the new oil is up to the task.

+1, it's a great oil and definately up to the task of 10K OCI's.

I'd stick with it unless you get sick of ordering it.. Then I'd switch to either M1 EP or castrol edge and maybe 1 uoa at 8k or so on first change.

(I say edge because its on a crazy sale/deal right now.)

M1ep is 26@walmart now too for 5qt

edge is 10$ at AAP for 5qt + pure 1 filter after rebate.

.. again I'd like to say I'd stay with shaeffers unless you get sick of ordering it.

Last edited:
I'd stay with what you've been using. Everybody knows that Schaeffers makes great stuff, it's just the way they choose to market that's iffy.

Schaeffers 7000 gets some press around here, but we hardly ever hear about the 9000 oil. I know the 7000 is group II+ and group IV, does anybody know what the 9000 is?

I know they advertise the 9000 as "full synthetic", but is it ester or PAO? Or is it a mix?

If it's working well for you, definitely keep using it! Schaeffer oil hasn't gotten as much "press" on here since Bob left the site, however it's still a very good oil. I've still got 18 quarts of the Supreme 7000 blend 5w30 that I found in my basement a short while ago and am now planning on using it in my wife's Civic.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to take so long to acknowledge. Had overnight company. I guess I will contact Salesrep and order the 2 cases. I hope I can work something out to get an extra 2 quarts. The Avalon takes 6½ quarts with filter. Doesn't work out too well when you get to the end of the case. If that doesn't work out, I guess another synthetic from Wal-Mart can make up the other ½ quart. Anyone see a problem with that?

John

If you want the same results and save a little money, use the Schaeffer's 7000 series oil. It is a great product.

Salesrep can correct me, but I believe the 9000 series is a mix of Group III and PAO, which I personally do not think is that much of a leap over a good Group II+ and PAO mix which the 7000 series is.

+1 Johnny.
Alamogunr, I always recommend a mineral base when mixing, you'll have no problem with 1/2 qt. add on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back