Mobil1 EP 0W-20 vs Total Quartz 9000 XTRA Future FGC

I'm probably over thinking this but wouldn't mind everyone's thoughts.

So I have been debating for a while between these two oils. Both are ILSAC-GF6A and carry the GM D1G3 and Ford WSS-M2C962-A1 approvals. I've been using the M1 in my 2011 Rav4 with the 2.5 engine for the last 50K and she's been running great, no complaints. I do 60K a year and change the oil every 10k.

The M1 costs me $9.88/L on sale. I can buy the Total in a 60L keg working out to $6.88/L. I also service a number of other vehicles so having bulk is not an issue.

I've debated doing a VOA on both oils, sample the M1 in my car at next oci, and run the Total 2-3 oci's and do another sample to do an accurate assessment. These tests do get expensive however at $50-60 shipped here in Canada.

Any advice?

image.jpg

At that price difference the Total seems like the obvious choice. Do you have availability of Costco Kirkland?
I do. It's essentially the same price as the total oil.

Although the savings is excellent and not having to recycle so many plastic jugs is great, I want to be sure I'm using a quality synthetic. Unfortunately I couldn't find a recent VOA for the M1 and Total seems not to be very common and as such little info about it either.

I do. It's essentially the same price as the total oil.

Although the savings is excellent and not having to recycle so many plastic jugs is great, I want to be sure I'm using a quality synthetic. Unfortunately I couldn't find a recent VOA for the M1 and Total seems not to be very common and as such little info about it either.
What would you learn from a VOA that would sway you one way or the other? Seems like a waste of money to me. All the OA's would more than negate any savings of the cheaper oil.

Reactions: wlk
Total is good oil, I'm actually surprised by the price as it's made in France and shipping would add to final (total.... lol) price.
Personally, I've become a bit of a fan of VW 504/507 and MB 229.52 oils, mid SAPS and 0w-30 or 5w-30 covers most applications for me with excellent wear protection, cleaning, sludge, fuel economy, LSPI, oxidation properties.

o
What would you learn from a VOA that would sway you one way or the other? Seems like a waste of money to me. All the OA's would more than negate any savings of the cheaper oil.
my thoughts were to be able to compare the TBN, and add packs to see how they stack up to one another and then a UOA to see how they shed their properties over a given oci.

my thoughts were to be able to compare the TBN, and add packs to see how they stack up to one another and then a UOA to see how they shed their properties over a given oci.
A spectrographic analysis is a listing of certain elements from decomposed compounds, not an analysis of “add packs”. Even more so it’s only those (mostly metallic) elements that can and are tested by an ICP.

Trying to predict future performance of an oil via a listing of decomposed compounds isn’t something that the test is designed to do. You may be able to ascertain some gross generalities from those tea leaves (such as identifying a really bad oil) but there’s no way you will ever make a comparative ranking as you suggest. You’re not even close for that.

Determining comparative oil quality is an expensive and time consuming endeavor. You’re not going to do it for $30.

Back