Should I push HPL longer than 4K OCIs with track use?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Our esteemed moderator, @wwillson, has suggested longer OCIs for my Sportwagen on the HPL Euro 5W40. Thinking on it, ~4K OCIs are only being driven my track time, not miles. For example, my last OCI was ~4.1K including 5 track days...the UOA is forthcoming but I can't see why it will look any different than my other HPL UOAs....100 deg C viscosity at ~12cST and normal analyte/wear metal values, likely a bit of fuel but nothing egregious from what I have seen. Should have those results back in a few weeks. If they look fine, I think I may push this next one out a bit longer. Forecasting my 2024 HPDE schedule, I'm looking at ~11 total track days/~6 events over the course of the year. Oil temps on my car push upwards of 280 during these events. 11 track days equates to roughly 15 hours on track. My daily driving at this point is about 10K/year but can fluctuate. My consumable costs are not insignificant; based on my track events to-date, I am at $288/day in consumables (primarily tires/brake pads) but oil can be factored in too; this number is over-estimated b/c I've done quite a bit of experimenting with brake pads etc. so I expect that number to fall steadily over this year's events as I've landed on tires/brake pads that I like/last a reasonable time. This cost doesn't include fuel but I can't change that cost. Brake fluid is free from FCP Euro. So anything I can to do to intelligently reduce consumable costs is a good thing. One HPL oil change is $100 for me, filter is free from FCP Euro. So drop $200 off my 2024 costs at ~3 changes currently.

Can HPL Euro 5W40 be used for 15 hours of track conditions/high oil temps? So 1 year/~10K OCI?

Edit. I can just pull oil samples during the year...duh.

8bbzmi.gif

FB_IMG_1704074834410.jpg
FB_IMG_1704074849855.jpg

Last edited:
Sure makes maintenance easy this year...bleed brakes and swap front pads before each event is it!

Not my car I’d do it for sure 😀 the Facebook action pics seals the deal for sure.

Absolutely… HPL is an amazingly well made oil for usage like yours or people running extremely long intervals.

Do some UOAs like you mentioned earlier and that would keep you in the know where everything is at.

Tigeo I enjoy your posts about your road course racing… I think it’s really quite neat and impressive what you do.

HPL lets us know more about their products than any of the others. With what we know about it, I think you can safely carry on with your proposal to extend your OCI. If I was into the kind of driving you are I'd do the HPL at the OCI you're considering.

HPL lets us know more about their products than any of the others. With what we know about it, I think you can safely carry on with your proposal to extend your OCI. If I was into the kind of driving you are I'd do the HPL at the OCI you're considering.
I'm going to go for it. I'll just pull a few samples this year to have a look-see. Will be a good data point for the site.

I'm going to go for it. I'll just pull a few samples this year to have a look-see. Will be a good data point for the site.
What happens if your engine blows up ;):ROFLMAO:
What were you changing it at before 3333 miles? since you are going from 3 to 1

What happens if your engine blows up ;):ROFLMAO:
What were you changing it at before 3333 miles? since you are going from 3 to 1
Roughly 4K so just rounded up. I'm a little over 10K a year in that car.

I have ~2.5 gal of HPL Euro 5W40 on the shelf and a spare Carquest filter for the GTI/W8...thinking I'll use it for the W8 instead of the free LM FCP kit this go around and leave the HPL in for a few years (3-4K annually) vs. using for the Sportwagen this year now that I'm on-board with a longer OCI....decisions...

I mean what does it matter really?

It is a VW. And everyone knows per BITOG standard protocol this car is probably toast soon anyways. Might as well go out in a blaze of glory and flames like a legend. 🔥
I like how you think. WOLVERINESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Back