Serious hiking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to West Virginia, wayyyyy up in the sticks for a real hike next month. I have not been away from civization for more than an hour anytime in the past 20 years. I grew up in the sticks but have softened to the city ways. Any essential or really good stuff to have with me? I will be travelling with one other person. So far I have the following.... .32 cal pistol revolver, sleeping bag, tons of water.

Good boots, good socks, spare socks, Gore-Tex, good knife, small first aid kit, space blanket, matches....are you backpacking (overnight)? Or hiking? If hiking (not overnight), then above is good, otherwise, start adding a few comforts like a tent/shelter, sleeping pad, stove. If it's for the day, then leave the sleeping bag at home and carry a space blanket...and a few clothing items for layering...

Last edited:
I'd bring along a .22 or a Magnum spring piston pellet rifle.

A tin of .177 or a few boxes of .22 LR can keep you fed for a very long time with squirrels, rabbits and small game even birds and frogs if you are stuck.

Also, a GPS and a map and compass, and a single person tent to have on you. They are really small and if you get lost at least you will be comfortable at night.

Also, a small hatchet and a really sharp folding knife to skin rabbits and stuff, matches, small 1 AA LED flashlight, etc.

thanks so far, we will be spending 2 nights in the mountains so we can bring all of the food we need. Will be camping overnight after a 9 mile hike the first night. Not sure where we will go from there.I honestly have not looked forward to a trip like this in a long time

Add waterproof jacket and insect repellent, leave the revolver home.

I'll assume you have the absolute basics - good, broken in hiking boots, socks, bug spray, sleeping bag, tent, flashlights, batteries, first aid kit, matches, etc. I'm assuming this is more than a simple day hike.

I'd suggest:

1. GPS - it's nice to at least know where you are and if you have a route for the trail, where you are in relation to it. Also keeps your tracks so you can see where you've been. We tke our eTrex everywhere. Cell phone may be helpful too as you may be abe to get service and with the GPS you can give them exact coordinates in case of trouble.

2. Backpacking stove - Yes you can build fires but if it rains, there's nothing like firing up a stove and making dinner. I've got a Jetboil Zip and it's compact and will boil water in under 5 minutes.

3. Water tablets. I'd not carry tons of water - it's weight and if you're near water/streams you can purify with tablets or by boiling.

4. FIrearm - you may want to increase your caliber. Confronting a bear or sasquatch I'd want the biggest I could get (.45) and some hollow points.

5. Food - consider dehydrated foods - less weight, can taste OK but expensive. But it's less weight.

Yikes, the revolver is a great idea to BRING ALONG!

Can be used for signaling, food, and defense.

I owned a piece of land where poachers were everywhere. They'd hunt moose and deer anytime they felt like it.

There was a small dump at the end of my tract, and I'd always find hooves and sawed game bones hidden there when I'd go to visit. Creepy.

I always felt very comfortable having my Mini-30 with me... Keeps people polite out in the sticks.

We are talking about REAL hiking here. Nobody out to help you in the boonies.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
thanks so far, we will be spending 2 nights in the mountains so we can bring all of the food we need. Will be camping overnight after a 9 mile hike the first night. Not sure where we will go from there.I honestly have not looked forward to a trip like this in a long time

The right sack/rope/set-up to get food up and away, to prevent access by bear and raccoon.

Originally Posted By: Danh

Take the revolver along.

I agree UP to leaving the gun. Do bring the gun!

I carry the gun everywhere I go, I never use the darn thing but the one time I need it I want to have it. Thanks for all of the other suggestions. I am really interested in the water purification stuff. I do not want to bring along tons of water since the first day will involve more miles than I have walked in years.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Take the revolver along.

After decades of hiking I can say the only thing that's ever really worried me were the very, very few hikers i encountered with handguns. Most every one you meet hiking you'll find to be fun, interesting and caring. And unarmed. If bears are your issue, take bear spray - it works on Grizzlies in Montana and it'll work even better in West Virginia.

If you were a 100 pound woman hiking the Pacific Crest trail solo, I'd get it, but what are all us big, strapping guys so afraid of?

Originally Posted By: volk06

Take the revolver along.

After decades of hiking I can say the only thing that's ever really worried me were the very, very few hikers i encountered with handguns. Most every one you meet hiking you'll find to be fun, interesting and caring. And unarmed. If bears are your issue, take bear spray - it works on Grizzlies in Montana and it'll work even better in West Virginia.

If you were a 100 pound woman hiking the Pacific Crest trail solo, I'd get it, but what are all us big, strapping guys so afraid of?
other people with guns.

Add another vote for treating water instead of carrying all of it, as long as water sources are plentiful. I have used an older version of the Katadyn Hiker filter that worked well. There's everything from iodine tablets to ultraviolet purifiers now.

Also, make sure one of you has a camp stove. A campfire might be cool, but quick, hot food when you're hungry is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back