Question on a employment screening test

Interesting. In my original post before editing (after you identified the "company"), I said that taking that test "profiled" you. With what they know about you, you will NEVER gain employment anywhere in the energy business. Your profile is already in the HR system for dozens of energy companies.

Scott
Scott,

Sorry- the company posted was a satire based on @Jdeere562 being from Western Iowa. Not a company I applied for.

Years ago i was working in Western Iowa and was pretty upset. I discovered plenty of ethanol free gasoline at many of the stations, and at very favorable prices. And where I lived ethanol had to be imported, yet ethanol free gas was rare to find and when found at a super premium price. Credit that situation to the ethanol lobby......

Last edited:
Years ago i was working in Western Iowa and was pretty upset. I discovered plenty of ethanol free gasoline at many of the stations, and at very favorable prices. And where I lived ethanol had to be imported, yet ethanol free gas was rare to find at at a super premium price.
I have no words.

Scott

Scott,

Sorry- the company posted was a satire based on @Jdeere562 being from Western Iowa. Not a company I applied for.

Years ago i was working in Western Iowa and was pretty upset. I discovered plenty of ethanol free gasoline at many of the stations, and at very favorable prices. And where I lived ethanol had to be imported, yet ethanol free gas was rare to find and when found at a super premium price. Credit that situation to the ethanol lobby......
Figured you were pulling my leg.;) Oh well, offer is still open on the pork loin if you ever make it this way!

Being from Iowa and an ethanol plant about 10 miles from here, I pay extra and burn real gas.
Ugh...mean used to. Gave my SUV to the Granddaughter and buy no more gas.

600 questions? I didn't have that many on my five hour LSAT years ago.

Agree, #2 is most correct. It seems to be an oblique economic application of Bastiat's 'Broken Window Theory'.

I remember in fall 2009,
Regular unleaded was $1.319, when not that long ago it was $3+. It was a scary time.

Gas was also cheap June 2020. These were not good things. How much gasoline did we buy in June 2020? There was no demand. I forfeited 3 days of free rental cars. Where would I go?

I lastly remember in October 2016, super unleaded was $1.819. At that time, things seemed to be great.

I wouldn’t mind $2.259 regular in 2023, but $0.999 would be downright scary. Like $1.99/lb pork chops have been for 4 years every week. How much does one eat at that price?

Gasoline is not oil, but they bear some relationship, though indirect.

I spent some time with a major oil company during my training. Their employees had an open mind concerning economic issues, environmental issues and pretty much everything else. I liked that.

I now own stock in that company. As a company and as an investment they've done well. I think they will continue to do well.

If you have a bunch of people who all think the same way you may miss opportunities and not foresee problems.

600 HUNDRED questions?!!!

Job interviews I've done lasted 30 mins, maybe an hour tops!
My current job was 3 rounds of interviews. Imho that was small time (co was 700 mil back then, it’s 7X that today) thinking as if afraid to make the wrong hiring decision.

Every person on the team participated in round 2 (at the time 24?).

Round 3 was with the CIO 1:1.

Today it’s like you said. Maybe half an hour and the hiring manager alone.

The question is obviosly intended to test your ability to read and decipher an idea and not get emotional and not simply click on the answer that meets your personal need, given the correct answer - 2 - is almost directly quoted - text "lower oil costs are not always the cure-all they are made out to be. " answer 2, The long term economic effects of lower oil prices may not benefit Americans.

I suggest the 600 questions are not about how many you get correct, but your ability to keep a level head and not fall into any personal feeling traps, hence the need for 600 questions - to lure you off your guard and get you to answer impulsively.

Were there other questions that were similar - in that they commanded answers that were possibly what a majority of the public would consider correct - like equity or climate change or whatever?

If they wanted your IQ they can get that in about 60 questions.

My current job was 3 rounds of interviews. Imho that was small time (co was 700 mil back then, it’s 7X that today) thinking as if afraid to make the wrong hiring decision.

Every person on the team participated in round 2 (at the time 24?).

Round 3 was with the CIO 1:1.

Today it’s like you said. Maybe half an hour and the hiring manager alone.
I did interview at one that the recruiter called me to schedule what I thought was an interview on the phone.
Spent 30+ mins answering the usual pagent questions.

Later found out that was just for screening for an interview.

This was for a job hauling fuel. Beyond checking experience and proper certs, not that much else to do!

Would it be a double edged sword though? We are not in an area that produces oil so my local economy does not rely on refinery jobs and that industry. We do, however, own mineral rights and property in Oklahoma that produces oil. The income is helpful and nautrally is better when oil prices go up.

On the other hand, when oil/fuel prices are low and our farm profits are up I have more money to inject into the local economy through equipment upgrades, facility repairs, etc.

My thought it that oil prices are directly tied to the health of local economies but not by only one way.

Well if you want to analyze the question as a question - not as it pertains to why it was asked in an employment screening - the simple answer is there is definitely a magic number for oil prices. Too low for too long, and investment and exploration will stop. That will eventually lead to a shortage that will eventually lead to a spike and turmoil.

Too high is obviously a drag on the economy, here to a degree but especially true in emerging markets. Fuel gets too high and people literally can't afford to eat in a lot of countries.

Lots of speculation on where that price is. Many think its around $60 / barrel WTI.

A 600 question pop test? I bet the browser close stats on that are something... I know unless this was a mega buck job i really wanted, id have been out right then and there's and by mega buck i mean well into 6 figures.

Well if you want to analyze the question as a question - not as it pertains to why it was asked in an employment screening - the simple answer is there is definitely a magic number for oil prices. Too low for too long, and investment and exploration will stop. That will eventually lead to a shortage that will eventually lead to a spike and turmoil.

Too high is obviously a drag on the economy, here to a degree but especially true in emerging markets. Fuel gets too high and people literally can't afford to eat in a lot of countries.

Lots of speculation on where that price is. Many think its around $60 / barrel WTI.
All I know is I have met plenty of Texas oil workers- all of them seemed to have been doing well. Yes, there are times of busts in the industry where some jobs are gone, but those busts seems few and far between. I suspect the overtime when times are good make up for the bust times.

A 600 question pop test? I bet the browser close stats on that are something... I know unless this was a mega buck job i really wanted, id have been out right then and there's and by mega buck i mean well into 6 figures.
Good point. I completed the test as I wanted to finish what I started. When I started the test I had no idea what the questions would be like. I started to think that future questions were presented based on answers to prior questions, the test was dynamic and not static.

Who knows.........

Retirement once again proven to be excellent.

The idiocy brought on by that guy who thought higher oil prices are a great thing for us continues and really when senility is involved the infantile corrupt numbness of minions speaking for the one are boundless. Uncontained idiocy is excellent! Wheeeeee!!

Back