Question on a employment screening test

Here is a list of top countries where oil production is significant in their GDP, a downfall hurts their economies tremendously.
just has to look at how we are punishing Russia right now.

Why isin't Norway on your list? I thought Norway's relatively high standard of living was due to their oil exports.

As for Russia, everything I read says their oil exports have continued unabated this year, with a shift to China and India, even have sold above the cap price.

600 HUNDRED questions?!!!

Job interviews I've done lasted 30 mins, maybe an hour tops!
Yea- is the retention factor higher because of the 600 questions? Unless it was my dream job assuming I was extremely qualified for the job I would politely tell them I'm not answering 600 questions. It's amazing how much they value YOUR time when they are not paying you.

All I know is I have met plenty of Texas oil workers- all of them seemed to have been doing well. Yes, there are times of busts in the industry where some jobs are gone, but those busts seems few and far between. I suspect the overtime when times are good make up for the bust times.
You won't see it in the patch - there always busy. You might see it at places like NOV stops building drill rigs, or like when USS shut down there seamless pipe plant after the great recession.

Where you will see it is in 3rd world countries, where they have far less elastisity in their weekly budgets. Of course they have lots of other problems, so its insult to injury.

In general, stable oil prices, in a range, are good for most other businesses and good for the globe. Of course your contrived question was about Americans, so ya, who cares I guess.

Some of these tests are designed by companies that specialize in making them confusing and difficult to answer. Multiple correct choices where you question the logic of the test designer. Very annoying.

Reactions: GON
It's not a policy position, it's a reading comprehension exam. Don't "read" too much into it.
That's why I believe #3 is correct. Presidential campaigns should focus on the full impact of lower oil prices.

The price of crude oil has remained at the forefront of political and economic conversations due to its far-reaching impact on foreign policy and the financial prosperity of U.S. citizens. Though Presidential campaigns may tout how they will reduce the price of gas for the American consumer, lower oil costs are not always the cure-all they are made out to be. Plummeting oil prices have a vast impact on the global economy, but local economies can also suffer. For example, when U.S. based oil companies lose money, it often results in personnel layoffs. If the costs remain low for a long period of time, the economic downfall will continue to spread throughout the cities and towns built around the oil industry.

The paragraph is about political talk/ presidential campaigns missing the point. The red highlights are the topic sentence and summary. The remaining sentences are the development and examples. While answer number 2 is somewhat correct, the paragraph talks about local economies, not the entire American public.

" it's a reading comprehension exam. Don't "read" too much into it." Many of you took the bait and did not see the forest for the trees (fail to grasp the main issue because of excessive attention to details).

Last edited:
Some possible answers:

Some senior folks in HR went to a seminar.

The test is provided by a company owned by a close relative of someone fairly senior in the hiring company.

The test is really a test of compliance.

Who knows?

It does seem a bit goofy though and is demeaning.

Why isin't Norway on your list? I thought Norway's relatively high standard of living was due to their oil exports.

As for Russia, everything I read says their oil exports have continued unabated this year, with a shift to China and India, even have sold above the cap price.
It's not my list, good question though, here is the source. It shows Norway at 6%
I typically do post the source but didn't think to much about it since I was answering what a trough 4 number I thought was correct on the test. I chose #4 because of this.

Last edited:
That's why I believe #3 is correct. Presidential campaigns should focus on the full impact of lower oil prices.

The price of crude oil has remained at the forefront of political and economic conversations due to its far-reaching impact on foreign policy and the financial prosperity of U.S. citizens. Though Presidential campaigns may tout how they will reduce the price of gas for the American consumer, lower oil costs are not always the cure-all they are made out to be. Plummeting oil prices have a vast impact on the global economy, but local economies can also suffer. For example, when U.S. based oil companies lose money, it often results in personnel layoffs. If the costs remain low for a long period of time, the economic downfall will continue to spread throughout the cities and towns built around the oil industry.

The paragraph is about political talk/ presidential campaigns missing the point. The red highlights are the topic sentence and summary. The remaining sentences are the development and examples. While answer number 2 is somewhat correct, the paragraph talks about local economies, not the entire American public.

" it's a reading comprehension exam. Don't "read" too much into it." Many of you took the bait and did not see the forest for the trees (fail to grasp the main issue because of excessive attention to details).
Disagree—that’s why I asked if the bolded bits were from the test. I was told yes. That meant all the Presidential stuff was GON’s opinion, inserted into the text, between the question and the answer section. Not part of question/test, and thus interjection on GON’s part, and exactly what the test giver wants to test for—to either check reading comprehension, or bias in the test taker.

Disagree—that’s why I asked if the bolded bits were from the test. I was told yes. That meant all the Presidential stuff was GON’s opinion, inserted into the text, between the question and the answer section. Not part of question/test, and thus interjection on GON’s part, and exactly what the test giver wants to test for—to either check reading comprehension, or bias in the test taker.
None of the Presidential stuff was my opinion, it was cut and paste directly from the test. There was no interjection on my part in this thread with the exception that I thought the question was not really a critical thinking questions, as it was labeled in the test.

This is the only text I inserted into the initial thread:

I don't concur with that theory. Over the past 100 years, the drilling, refining, and selling of oil has been an above average return for most in the oil industry, from employees to investors. Yes, every industry has its ups and down, but the ups in oil almost always far outweigh the downs.

Last edited:
Some possible answers:

Some senior folks in HR went to a seminar.

The test is provided by a company owned by a close relative of someone fairly senior in the hiring company.

The test is really a test of compliance.

Who knows?

It does seem a bit goofy though and is demeaning.
Yes, quite possibly compliance and related dimensions were indirectly part of the test.

None of the Presidential stuff was my opinion, it was cut and paste directly from the test. There was no interjection on my part in this thread with the exception that I thought the question was not really a critical thinking questions, as it was labeled in the test.
They are Federally required to have DEI personnel now I believe.

They are Federally required to have DEI personnel now I believe.
Had to google DEI. No idea what it meant.

I did apply for a job, and it stated a less qualified applicant may be selected based on factors not performance or potential related. No one said life was always fair- it never was and never will be.

Well in these tests for reading comprehension one does not judge the veracity of the contention presented but merely what is comminicated , rightly or wrongly, in the "article".
Obviously the contention is wrong, however Answer 2) is the correct one in the sense of this "exam".

I think we are all aware that Oil is the overhead price baked into the cost of just about everything, and the higher that costs the less "stuff" is affordable to both industry to produce and to households to consume.
High oil prices are always a headwind to the economy.

My brother said on his interview applications they have asked for current income. I’ve never heard of that granted I have not applied in 7 years. But in 2016 neither co asked me for current income. As a matter of fact only 1/2 asked me what I was looking for. The 2nd one said oh we’re not in that range at all and I was thinking that’s funny at the time I had almost 20 years experience (I get this is a negative) so I’m not entry level.

I told my brother no one will leave a good job for a new one without some bump and he said no it’s got legal mumbo jumbo. These are insurance cos maybe they are different.

But I was saying why give personal info which they will compile when it’s not even likely you’ll work for them.

Maybe it’s not an employee’s market but if my co did some of the things on this thread we’ll never get anyone on board. Admittedly there is a hiring freeze since mid 2023 due to the recession.

Are just the bolded parts from the question and answer?

The bottom bolded statements are the multiple choice answers available.

Ah, I misunderstood then. Changes my interpretation then. Is the first person statements yours or theirs?

Disagree—
Just ask my wife - I am always right ;)

And, paragraph interpretation of any type still involves critical thinking. I still stand by my answer, a somewhat trick question to test reading skills. I went back to basic paragraph construction: topic sentence, development, examples, summary.

Last edited:

And, paragraph interpretation of any type still involves critical thinking. I still stand by my answer, a somewhat trick question to test reading skills.
fair enough, at the moment I’m confused as to what the question is, and if GON has interjected commentary into it. Changes how I read it, as I thought all non bolded text was his interjection.

And, paragraph interpretation of any type still involves critical thinking. I still stand by my answer, a somewhat trick question to test reading skills. I went back to basic paragraph construction: topic sentence, development, examples, summary.
My buddy and this spun off of when I asked if he ever forfeited an airline ticket that was non cancelable. He said yes his wife decided last minute his son needs SAT prep. He lost a $1200 plane ticket and son’s prep $5,000 so he says he lost $6,200. But it boosted his son’s scores to nearly 1500.

I didn’t get 1400 but I got close to that in one try thanks to my public HS.

No different than our time, the actual
Skills to interpret and make decisions is not really related to the test taking…

No one said life was always fair- it never was and never will be.
Used to be true, fairness, equality of opportunity was possible but no longer. Equity has displaced equality. It guarantees that chance, fate and the foibles of humanity are no longer factors in outcomes.

Back