The Solar Eclipse & The Path to Totality

Jackson_Slugger

$50 Site Donor 2022
A swath of the United States arcing from Texas to Southern Ontario Canada will be ground level zero for a total eclipse and this is causing foreboding and a bit of mayhem. In the greater Buffalo NY area the population will double or even triple because of the prime view here. Towns in Texas are declaring disaster areas nearly a month out because of the fear of the influx in traffic and tourists:

ARc57yw8KnCu5mHb6Vv6bn-970-80.gif

Buffalo leaders urge residents to be ready, stay home for total solar eclipse
City leaders are asking residents to 'take this event seriously and prepare in advance, much like they would for a winter storm.'

City of Buffalo prepares for eclipse visitors

Author: Tommy Gallagher (WGRZ)
Published: 8:21 PM EST March 9, 2024
Updated: 8:21 PM EST March 9, 2024

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Buffalo leaders are preparing for total solar eclipse on April 8, when hundreds of thousands of visitors will flock to the area.
City officials on Friday insisted there could be between 500,000 and 1 million people coming to the area to watch the eclipse, with a path of totality that will span 2,000 miles across the country.

Within that path live 31 million Americans who won't have to travel to see this unique event, but for those who are traveling, Buffalo and Western New York is an attractive option.
"With Buffalo so uniquely positioned to view this celestial event, people from around the country will be flocking here to see it for themselves," Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said in a statement. "Public safety is our top priority, and we will be ready to ensure it will be a safe and enjoyable experience for all."
NASA provided these time estimates for when to enjoy the eclipse on April 8:
  • Partial eclipse begins: 2:04 p.m.
  • Totality begins: 3:18 p.m.
  • Maximum totality: 3:20 p.m.
  • Totality ends: 3:22 p.m.
  • Partial eclipse ends: 4:32 p.m.
Brown said Friday during a news conference that he doesn't want to turn the eclipse into an apocalypse, and so he made no mention of the possibility of issuing a state of emergency. He did, however, ask people to "take this event seriously and prepare in advance, much like they would for a winter storm."
So, what exactly does that mean?
For starters, city leaders are asking residents to do routine tasks — grocery shopping, picking up items, getting gas, etc. — in advance or after April 8, citing an influx of visitors who will clog the roads.
EMS services might be delayed, given the amount of people and law enforcement agencies getting ready to work that day.
City leaders also suggested the best place to watch the total solar eclipse is at your own home, even if you would rather be in a unique spot or an elevated location.
If you are heading out to watch the eclipse — there's no shortage of events and locations planned — city officials ask that you attend one that's within walking distance of your home. If you're driving, be prepared to get there early and stay late.
"Four weeks from today, a total solar eclipse will darken the skies across Buffalo for nearly four minutes," the mayor said. "While we want this once-in-a-lifetime cosmic event to be enjoyed, we are asking city residents today to take this rare event seriously, to plan ahead if you haven’t already, be patient and be prepared."

I'll be at my (ironically) solar powered off grid cabin in Franklin County, ME with my Pink Floyd collection. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

And, yes, I'll plan my food shopping and vehicle fueling around this phenomenon.

The last one in what 2017, I was able to drive to Elizabeth Town, IL with no problems....

after the eclipse everything was jammed. No shortcuts, avoid the interstate, took me 7 hours to move 30 miles.

The last eclipse was neat. Colorado had a partial eclipse, and Wyoming ended up with a full eclipse. Hotels were sold out. I keep up with space related stuff but why is this eclipse in such an odd arc? Wouldn't it follow a more longitudinal path?

I am traveling 100 miles north to the path of totality. But I am driving up that morning, and driving back that evening. Bringing a lunch and just looking for an open space to sit and watch.
Based on my prior experience in South Carolina, I'd recommend bringing dinner too. The drive home will be very slow since so many people leave all at once. Better to wait for traffic to clear.

I am fortunate that I live near Carbondale, IL, the intersection of totality of the 2017 and 2024 events.

I'll be out to see it, but not sure I'll drive far enough to get to totality. It's "close enough" at my home, so I'll probably just go outside, with my eclipse shades and look up provided the clouds cooperate.

I was in Gatlinburg for the 2017 eclipse and watched it while tailgating in an old graveyard just outside Cades Cove. Took us about 30 minutes to get there from our chalet, and about an hour in traffic to get back. All in all not terrible, I expected it to be much worse.

My house is a few miles inside the path of totality for this one so I'll be sitting by the pond on a chaise lounge sipping a few cold ones. A bunch of my family who live east of here are not in totality so they are planning be here at the house with us. A good number of my coworkers are supposed to be here as well. According to the maps and graphs we are supposed to get 1 min 36 secs of totality in my area.

If it ends up being forecast to be a cloudy day here, we'll probably leave early in the morning to get to wherever it will be clear, if possible.

Sounds more like locallities trying to drum up tourist business for the area. I mean why else would you go visit Buffalo in April?

There is literally 1000 mile path to go watch, and It will likely be cloudy :ROFLMAO:

The last one I went to (I guess it was 2017) I drove about 45 minutes south to just about 20 miles N of Columbia SC - even though I was in an area that had about 98% coverage, I wanted to get the full monty. Pulled off on an exit, drove about 3-4 miles until I found an abandoned house, sat up in the driveway. No big traffic deal going to it or returning. I was gone about 3 hours total. There were quite a few people in clearings, along the side of the road, etc, but it was just traffic, not a traffic jam.

I would recommend anyone who hasn't been in complete totality to do it.

I was in Madisonville TN for last one in 2017. Clear skies is the important part!

Likely going to miss this one but it was a very cool thing to experience.

Back