Run Away KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Duffman77

I just went out and checked the car, from left to right (or left moving clockwise when looking from the passenger side), accessory, lock, run, start and there was no interlock to take the key out. From my memory of my parents 70s and 80s GMs the accessory is always on the other side of the lock.

As someone started earlier, unless you have practiced a manouver once before you may not do or get what you think you will the first time you try it in a panic situation.

Did you try this while in gear?

Manual transmission.

I just went out and checked the car, from left to right (or left moving clockwise when looking from the passenger side), accessory, lock, run, start and there was no interlock to take the key out. From my memory of my parents 70s and 80s GMs the accessory is always on the other side of the lock.

As someone started earlier, unless you have practiced a manouver once before you may not do or get what you think you will the first time you try it in a panic situation.

Manual transmission.

Oh wow, that's absolutely retarded. Even my old Fox 'stang had a button on the bottom of the column that you had to push up on to get the key into lock/out mode.

Manual transmission.

Oh wow, that's absolutely retarded. Even my old Fox 'stang had a button on the bottom of the column that you had to push up on to get the key into lock/out mode.

Its a 1975 F-Body, I have seen other manual 2nd gen that have had interlocks (even holding the gear I think). Maybe mine was disabled by a prior owner or maybe its not new enough?

'70s GM cars didn't have the best lock cylinders.
You could completely remove the key from the ignition lock cylinder from our '73 Vega and it would continue to run. The car had completely rusted out by '76 so it wasn't an old car.

From '87 to '96, Ford took a turn at the bad lock cylinder. On a large percentage of those trucks, you can simply turn the lock cylinder. No key necessary. It will often allow the truck to start. There aren't any real detents, just turn the lock cylinder until the engine starts or shuts off. It works, it's just sloppy. And a pain to get lined up again so you can insert the key.

I just went out and checked the car, from left to right (or left moving clockwise when looking from the passenger side), accessory, lock, run, start and there was no interlock to take the key out. From my memory of my parents 70s and 80s GMs the accessory is always on the other side of the locks

Back in 1997, my driver-ed teacher let us take on a back country road where there was a long street of nothingness. Out of the blue, this little thing yelled out, CutPower, ten proceeded with, Apply Brake and Steer Right onto a that driveway. Let's say I got panicked but still did it with success. It was a big Crown Victoria but a pain to steer with power steering. Lately, I had to practice shoving the lever to Neutral whenever my Corolla cuts out. That was never fun. Yesterday, I was driving fing at 55 when it cut out and I was in the fast lane with no shoulder and a big semi on my [censored]. I still managed to shove it into Neutral to maintain speed and took it onto the grass and rode parallel with the ditch until my semi passed me. Two weeks earlier, I had no one behind me, I was able to shove it in Neutral, crossed 3 lanes, took a turn into a church parking and parked it. Going 65 mph at that time gave me plenty of momentum to maneuver but having a loss of power is much worse than simply just dealing with unintentional acceleration problem. You can always slowness down or cut power or shift into Neutal or a combination action of more than once with the former. Loosing ability to maintain or increase speed is like a 747 free-falling from the sky, you got a very limit windows before SHTF.

By the way, I am not that great of a driver, according to those who know me. But I am a careful and attentive drivers and that make me a safe driver. The highways are full of accidents involving people claiming to be good driver. Attentive and carfful drivers rarely cause accidents.

I highly recommend people teach their kids how to stop a car in a safe test and effective way on empty roads just as one would do with parallel parking and stick driving, which I can't claim I feel confident with doing since I never own a stick but did get my license with a stick vehicle in 1997. Then I drove a stick a few times with my father in the car last year and did alright but I had never driven one by myself so I didn't buy a manual Fit this time. Testing driving is nervou enough as I am not that great of a driver, meaning I can't drive while talking with something or being distracted. If not distracted, I am pretty good at most things except for depth reception.

Ok, I just typed the oboe with my iPad and literally butchered the English language. I got to stop doing posts with iPad.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

You could completely remove the key from the ignition lock cylinder from our '73 Vega and it would continue to run. The car had completely rusted out by '76 so it wasn't an old car.

My dad said his 75 GMC would do that as well, he claims it was a feature of the truck, not a flaw as you do.

My dad said his 75 GMC would do that as well, he claims it was a feature of the truck, not a flaw as you do.

Well, it's not a safety "feature" nor is it an anti-theft "feature".

It does allow you to take the keys out so you can leave it running and lock the door while you go into the store without seperating the door key off your key ring, it is handy.

Dad's 87 Astro did the same thing, as did wifey's 86 or 87 Cutlass. I'm sure they didn't design it to do that, but it was kinda cool.

Dad's 87 Astro ignition key would work in my brother's 69 Impala ignition also.

Oh, I thought the thread was about if you know what's good for you, you'll run away from Kia...

It does allow you to take the keys out so you can leave it running and lock the door while you go into the store without seperating the door key off your key ring, it is handy.

...and gives the car thief a running car. Or if you didn't select Park fully, the selector falls into Reverse and your car runs away from you while you run alongside trying to work that little round headed key in the door.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
My hyundai has plastic tabs that connect to each floor mat. It prevents the floor mat from moving any direction. Hyundai is learning from others mistakes?

The new F-150s have a back seat sized floormat for the driver's side and two(2)hooks. No mat at all near the pedals. Ford does not want that mat sliding up to the pedals.

And yet, a fair amount of F-150s are showing up with the mat all askew. On one or less of the hooks. Driver error.

I saw a 2011 F150 last week with both of the hooks snapped off.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

The failure of the OPERATOR (panicking women) to understand what to do in such a situation is
COMPLETELY her responsibility.

Instead this nitwit calls 911 jabbering on the phone while the car is speeding up to 100 mph.

This goes with my contribution to the "texting is for losers" thread: many many people exist with a cellphone and an idea that they don't have to know anything, they just have to know someone who does, then bug them for that knowledge, then immediately forget it in favor of --ooh, pretty shoes!!!

2011Sorentostartstop.jpg

Anyone else notice how the button is not lit? That will be a great thing to fumble for in the dark.

When I worked at a tire shop we had these newfangled button cars come in. I had to ask another tech how to start one, turns out you also need your foot on the brake. I NEVER have my foot on the brake, it drains the battery needlessly during cranking.

We hashed this to death in the toyota threads last year but "off" should work the same in park or in drive. It's good training for the driver for something to work consistently.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman

I turned the key off once while driving down the road due to a noise comming from the engine that was abnormal. My steering column then locked on me while doing 30 mph, not every solution is without pitfalls.

How do you manage to do that when cars with steering locks have had mechanisms to keep you from doing that for a while? Automatic transmission shifters keep you from doing that unless you shift to park, and manual transmissions usually have some button, lever, or push-to-turn mechanism to prevent that. Even my low-tech MG requires you to push a tiny button below the key to turn it to the lock position.

NO! One click back on the key turns the ignition off, but as long as the gear selector is in anything other than "park" (on an automatic) or the driver doesn't consciously push the key removal lock button (manual) the steering wheel doesn't lock, because the key doesn't go to the "lock" position. Fully locking is TWO clicks back from "ignition run"!

This is a perfect example of how we can USE something every day and not fully realize how it ACTUALLY works! I'm not being critical of you, I'm sure I do the same thing with other devices I regularly use.

This is a perfect example of jumping to conclusions on your part and assuming that others do not fully realize how it ACTUALLY works
wink.gif
. My question was how he got past the interlock, not why he didn't stop at the first click. Try not to assume that others have no idea that it takes two clicks to get back to lock and that the ignition turns off at the first click. If he locked it in his haste to turn the key off, obviously he turned it through TWO clicks and locked his steering, which bids the question of how he got past the interlock that's supposed to prevent locking the steering, WHICH IS WHY I ASKED.
smirk.gif

If there wasn't much of a detent at the first click, I'd probably turn the key back as far as it goes if I was trying trying to shut the engine off in a hurry. Peace!

Sorry if I misread your post, the attribution is starting to get a little complicated.

Getting past the interlock is not possible in an automatic if the car is still moving and the interlock mechanism is functioning correctly. Its not a question of a detent being weak, its a solid wall you hit if the shifter is in anything but "park." A manual- maybe the "muscle memory" mentioned could let you push the button and get to the "off/lock" position... but on most stick cars I've driven its a bit of a hassle to push the button that lets you get past the "off" detent and to the "off/lock", and get the key out even when you are THINKING about doing it right.

Of course if the mechanism breaks... anything can happen. I'm personally not a huge fan of steering wheel locks- I think its a pretty weak deterrent to theft and always has been. Now that we have SKIM/SKIS and other similar systems I think they could do away with steering wheel locking. Heck, in my 60s cars *nothing* is interlocked, except you can only operate the starter in "P" or "N". You can shift it to neutral and turn the wheel all you want even without a key, and hot-wiring them takes about 15 seconds. Which is why I put in secret ignition disablers that are hard to find, let alone bypass in the normal way ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back