Right oil for BMW Valvetronic engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I think he was only talking about cold temp performance. Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 and Mobil 1 0w-40 aren't really comparable oils.

Why not? Because of the weight or low saps?

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: Ph1l

So you think, that M1 ESP 5W-30 should "suit" me "better"? Is it good stuff? In comparison with M1 0W-40, what are the differences, except it being low saps oil?

Can you use a LL04 oil in your country?

Yes. Local dealer has only LL04 oils (and TWS of course).

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I think he was only talking about cold temp performance. Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 and Mobil 1 0w-40 aren't really comparable oils.

Why not? Because of the weight or low saps?

They are formulated to meet different goals.

But I completely forgot that you were in a market where LL-04 oils can be used. In that case, I would say go for Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30. Lucky you, by the way.
55.gif

I`ve decided to try Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w-30
19.gif
Very similar to M1 ESP Formula, but slightly thinner from cold
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks everyone for advices
cheers3.gif
cheers3.gif

I`ve decided to try Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w-30
19.gif
Very similar to M1 ESP Formula, but slightly thinner from cold
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks everyone for advices
cheers3.gif
cheers3.gif

Careful with that oil. The Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 is recommended by Ferrari and I have used it in the past and it foams terribly. Makes reading the dip stick very hard....and well, foaming oil cannot be a good properly. The only reason I can think Ferrari recommends it is because of the sponsorship dollars.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Unfortunately Helix Ultra 0w-40 isn't sold in the U.S. The only well known 0w-40 in the U.S. is Mobil 1.

Personally with the short trips I would look at a 5w-30 or 0w-30, but that's just me.

You can find it at most Ferrari dealers...but I believe they are in the process of switching to Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 now. For the past 15 years they recommended the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back