BMW 230i (B46) oil

Just to add, official MB designation is: MB-Approval 22x.xx. Not just MB22x.xx.
The way SOPUS is listing it is correct. Their issue is that they always put meets and exceeds, when in reality it is approved. Most punctual are Mobil1 and Motul. Motul will give you brief explanation what each approval is.

What about this? LL04, SP. Looks like the same oil on Castrol UK site.

The packaging is not like the UK Castrol oils

Castrol markets a couple of oils that meet LL04, one has LL where that oil has K, I think the other has an M.

I would have to double check as they are both in my local Costco.

Yes, for diesels, not for gasoline.
Maybe in the US

In the UK there is no such thing as Petrol oil or Diesel oil.

The spec is the spec, BMW adopted LL04 not own for diesel and one for petrol.

I think some people don’t realise oil specs are not chosen by Politicians outside the USA

Hence why US market BMW handbooks don’t list all the oils that an engine is specced for in Europe.

Maybe in the US

I think some people don’t realise oil specs are not chosen by Politicians outside the USA

Hence why US market BMW handbooks don’t list all the oils that an engine is specced for in Europe.
LL04 ONLY when in 2009 EU went with ULSG! Hence BMW recommending LL04 in EU+some countries since 2009 in petrol engines too.

Directive 2003/17/EC (CEN standard 590:2009): From 01/01/2009 Petrol must have up to 10.10ppm sulfur limit. Up until 2009 from01/01/2005, directive 98/70/EC, CEN standard 228:2004 and 590:2004, 50ppm.

BMW recommended LL04 in EU+ some countries (Switzerland etc) in ALL engines from 2009 once fuel was ULSG. From 2004 until 2009, LL04 was ONLY used in diesel engines.

Politicians CHOOSE the quality of your petrol. What they decide drives how much you pay, and their probability of reelection.

Last edited:
Maybe in the US

It is not really complicated. LL04 is based on ACEA C3 oils which were developed with the primary goal being exhaust particulate filter compatibility. This was implicitly diesel at the start since GPF/OPF did not become mainstream until recently in petrol engines.

LL04 ONLY when in 2009 EU went with ULSG! Hence BMW recommending LL04 in EU+some countries since 2009 in petrol engines too.

Directive 2003/17/EC (CEN standard 590:2009): From 01/01/2009 Petrol must have up to 10.10ppm sulfur limit. Up until 2009 from01/01/2005, directive 98/70/EC, CEN standard 228:2004 and 590:2004, 50ppm.

BMW recommended LL04 in EU+ some countries (Switzerland etc) in ALL engines from 2009 once fuel was ULSG. From 2004 until 2009, LL04 was ONLY used in diesel engines.

Politicians CHOOSE the quality of your petrol. What they decide drives how much you pay, and their probability of reelection.
Forgot you live in the EU

Back