BMW 230i (B46) oil

Synthetic Esters, Glycerol Monooleate, PAOs, Ionic Liquids, Polymers, and even ZDDP, can contribute to friction reduction. Formulation is everything. Ultimately, it is not what an oil is, it is what an oil does.
Yes. Didn’t realize it was verboten to simply observe that it’s using the only SP additive pack so far that doesn’t have any. I’m an engineer in another field and typically when you see everyone do something a certain way, there’s a reason. Deviating does not mean it’s worse, could be leading edge. Even Castrol who historically has not used much moly in the past 20 years it seems has been showing up with moly in the SP licensed oils.

BMW periodically revises all of their active approvals and most recently occurred in 2022-23. Anyways LL01 is still used in many markets especially those which do not require ULSG/ULSD.
Most common oil for BMWs in the UK is LL04.

It’s the oil that BMW Assist carries in their 5Series BMW Assist vehicles.

It’s the only BMW branded oil I have seen, 0w30.

My 2020 (21 model year) with a B58 isn’t specced for LL01.

Only LL04, LL12 and LL17

in Europe the same, if you go to the german shell, only oil in the oil selector for B48 is LL17FE+
That might be in the selector.

But if you check the vehicle handbook the recommend everything from 0w20 to 5w40.

And most cars are specced for multiple BMW LL specs

I had a 230XE (PHEV with the 1.5) for a week and it had multiple oils specced, same for what I think was a 218i (it was debased but also with the 1.5) they gave me for another week recently.

Only LL04, LL12 and LL17
Ya. Not surprised

Only LL04, LL12 and LL17
That is bcs. ULSD is available since 2004 and ULSG 2009. Considering number of diesel engines in Europe, LL04 was natural choice.

Seems like I have 2 primary choices...

1. Change to a LL01 or LL04 0W30 which I'd do with the Castrol Edge 0W30 that @edyvw linked and take the chance that I have no engine wtty claim and/or BMW doesn't do a forensic on the oil.

If I have a engine wtty issue I can change out to the "correct" oil if it's not a tow the car in situation

2. Leave it with 0W20 until wtty runs out.
I'd be running a lower HTHS oil than ideal. Would I minimise the chance that creates wear by not pushing on the car? Or the fact that BMW's (at least my N52 powered one) run hotter when cruising negate that?

I plan to keep this car a long time.

1. Change to a LL01 or LL04 0W30 which I'd do with the Castrol Edge 0W30 that @edyvw linked and take the chance that I have no engine wtty claim and/or BMW doesn't do a forensic on the oil.

If I have a engine wtty issue I can change out to the "correct" oil if it's not a tow the car in situation

I'd be running a lower HTHS oil than ideal. Would I minimise the chance that creates wear by not pushing on the car? Or the fact that BMW's (at least my N52 powered one) run hotter when cruising negate that?

You’re not taking any chances. Warranty is predicated on damage and Longlife-01 or -04 isn’t going to damage the engine.

B generation runs equally hot. It uses a similar system where DME determines your driving profile. Slower driving, constant hwy speeds, more heat. City driving a bit less heat. Pushing hard, DME will put the cooling system into overdrive. Add to that that, unlike in N52, you have a turbo.
Take into consideration that you don;t have to go 0W30 LL01. You could do any LL01 which includes oils like Mobil1 0W40, PPE 5W40, Castrol Edge 5W30 A3 (Wal mart), Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2 etc, etc. I personally do think Edge 0W30 is superb oil, and considering that the manual has 0W30 language, you could claim that you followed it. However, BMW is not particularly picky when it comes to warranty claims. I had a warranty claim on the SCR mixer in X5 35d, and they just asked me which oil I used, who changed it (me), and how often (5K), and that is where the story ended.

Other option is to run LL17FE. The engine won't blow away. It will run fine, it will last long whether you push it or not. The question is the margin that LL01 allows and how long you actually plan to keep the vehicle. If turbo fails at 150k it is hard to say whether that is due to oil or not. But...

The question is the margin that LL01 allows and how long you actually plan to keep the vehicle. If turbo fails at 150k it is hard to say whether that is due to oil or not. But...
B46 70K - not a drop of burned oil (noticeable) (knock on the wood). Mostly 4.5-5K on LL17FE+ since new, sometimes summer LL01FE /P L 5W30 LL04
If the OP would change oil every 4K as he stated - nothing that matters which approved oil

LTR at FCPEuro saves big on BMW oils

Now it makes sense: Castrol updated the blend. They made the oil a bit thinner, while maintaining minimum HTHS - most likely scenario. That's why it can now be used in BMW LL01 FE applications. However, I doubt it is as "stout" as the previous iteration that was thicker and had a ridiculously low pour point of -60C.

View attachment 207193
Where did you find that specific version of the datasheet, if you recall? It's not what I can find through the regular website. Interesting because it's quite different from the late 2022 dated version I can find, with a very high VI and pour point that at least suggests more Group III base.

Where did you find that specific version of the datasheet, if you recall? It's not what I can find through the regular website. Interesting because it's quite different from the late 2022 dated version I can find, with a very high VI and pour point that at least suggests more Group III base.
Castrol updated the Canadian MSDS now in 2024, but the US version hasn't been updated. I doubt they sell one version in the US market, and one version in Canada.

Here is how you search:

Go here: Castrol MSDS PDS search tool and click Continue.

Then configure the search tool like this:

1710042104926.jpg

And you will get these results:

1710042132727.jpg

I hope this helps.

Castrol updated the Canadian MSDS now in 2024, but the US version hasn't been updated. I doubt they sell one version in the US market, and one version in Canada.

Here is how you search:

Go here: Castrol MSDS PDS search tool and click Continue.

Then configure the search tool like this:

View attachment 207603

And you will get these results:

View attachment 207604

I hope this helps.
This is the first time I have seen 2024 MSDS and PDS.
So, they change on MSDS that PAO is 30-60%, instead of 25-50%. At the same time pour point increased.
I am not sure what would distinguish Edge 0W30 now from other oils, short of some exceptional Noack or HTHS.

if so, then the US A3/B4 version is now the same with the european A3/B4 version,one version for 2 continents.

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2024-03-10, 9.26.48 πμ.jpg

and they are almost identical as far as characteristics concern with the C3 LL04 european 0-30 ,except
Sulphated ash,maybe noack and hths which are not mentioned as usually with castrol.but almost identical..
in europe ll04 C3 has also 2 versions:

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2024-03-10, 9.27.06 πμ.jpg

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2024-03-10, 9.27.21 πμ.jpg

I assume there isn't much difference between LL17FE+ and LL19 as these two look like the same oil. That should bolster my argument if I ever got into an engine wtty issue with BMW after using the 0W-30. Make sense??

I assume there isn't much difference between LL17FE+ and LL19 as these two look like the same oil. That should bolster my argument if I ever got into an engine wtty issue with BMW after using the 0W-30. Make sense??
if you care that much about warranty now and further under CPO, change at the dealer every calculated, manufacture recommended OCI (which is around 11K) and between to what you want. This what I was doing during my warranty.

I think BMW has promo like this often, check your dealers around

3 YEARS PREPAID FOR $225.​

Hmm. I usually diy oil changes, but this is something I'd consider if it were possible to get them to use a "better" oil.

Hmm. I usually diy oil changes, but this is something I'd consider if it were possible to get them to use a "better" oil.
Warranty won't be denied if you DIY. Think about that if you go any LL01 or LL04 from Wal Mart, you are looking $26-29 for 5qt plus maybe $10 for filter from FCP or ECS? I always go with 5 or 10-pack filters from ECS. The only thing I would do during the warranty is going OE filters.

I let them do the changes and then do a mid interval change with my own oil. This way they have record you did the free services and then you can have the peace of mind that you've used a non FE oil at least half the time.

Back