Recommended time based oil change on BMW N52?

If only Castrol 0w-30 or 0w-40 was found locally. I've never seen those two products in any Walmart in a 100 mile radius. Which is why I ended up getting the Mobil 1 Euro FS 0w-40 instead. WM not putting it on their shelves for some reason. 🤷‍♂️
0W30 was some time ago regularly available at Auto Zone. 0W40 was regular at WM for 10yrs.
Now it is Amazon.

M1 0W40 is in that league.

Very nice E82. Wish I had opted for one instead of an E90. The 3 stage manifold is a must but the increase in power is deceptively subtle. There's just more power where there was none before, with more torque across the entire power band.

If you can get away with it, catless headers also make a significant difference in power. I had to relearn how to accelerate due to the increase in power and response. There is slightly more engine noise but the exhaust barely changes with stock secondary cats and cat-back, although the E82 has a different set up from my E90.

Bimmerlabs software is simple to use as you simply run their batch files. It's getting everything set up that is time consuming.

I run Pennzoil Euro 0w30 and a Mahle filter on an annual basis. The engine definitely ran better with proper euro spec oil compared to regular Pennzoil Platinum. Call me crazy but it also seemed to improve when I switched from Mann to Mahle filters. Maybe there's a reason why BMW specs Mahle as the OE filter on the M3 and M5?

Very nice E82. Wish I had opted for one instead of an E90. The 3 stage manifold is a must but the increase in power is deceptively subtle. There's just more power where there was none before, with more torque across the entire power band.

If you can get away with it, catless headers also make a significant difference in power. I had to relearn how to accelerate due to the increase in power and response. There is slightly more engine noise but the exhaust barely changes with stock secondary cats and cat-back, although the E82 has a different set up from my E90.

Bimmerlabs software is simple to use as you simply run their batch files. It's getting everything set up that is time consuming.

I run Pennzoil Euro 0w30 and a Mahle filter on an annual basis. The engine definitely ran better with proper euro spec oil compared to regular Pennzoil Platinum. Call me crazy but it also seemed to improve when I switched from Mann to Mahle filters. Maybe there's a reason why BMW specs Mahle as the OE filter on the M3 and M5?
On some BMW’s Hengst is OE.
I ran all 3, and never noticed difference.

F8x M cars run Mann filters. G8x run Mahle. I don't think there's a real difference, it's whoever wins the bid for the contract.

I can’t remember what filter was in my 745Le when I changed the oil a month or so ago, I am fairly certain it was marked BMW though, I replaced it with Bosch.

The air filter was changed aswell, I used Bosch aswell.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, we live in an emissions controlled area, so catless headers are a no-go (going through the hassle of swapping them back and forth every 1-2 years doesn't sound terribly appealing). I've considered a set of aftermarket catted headers, but with our state (Colorado) recently adopting California's nazi-esque CARB laws, you can only run OEM or CARB specific catalytic converters... apparently if doesn't matter if the federal use cats we used for years passed emissions without issue, as now it doesn't matter that it passes emissions if it's not CARB certified... and going through the CARB process ends up increasing the price of the few CARB legal cats you can find by a large multiplier. Back when I still had an old Integra, out of curiosity I looked up the cost of a replacement cat (on Rock Auto): federal standard cat from Walker: $248.79. CARB compliant cat from the same company (Walker): $802.99. Madness!

What all is involved with setting everything up for the Bimmerlabs software? Apparently I haven't looked very far into it.

Thank you for the feedback!

Thank you!

Unfortunately, we live in an emissions controlled area, so catless headers are a no-go (going through the hassle of swapping them back and forth every 1-2 years doesn't sound terribly appealing). I've considered a set of aftermarket catted headers, but with our state (Colorado) recently adopting California's nazi-esque CARB laws, you can only run OEM or CARB specific catalytic converters... apparently if doesn't matter if the federal use cats we used for years passed emissions without issue, as now it doesn't matter that it passes emissions if it's not CARB certified... and going through the CARB process ends up increasing the price of the few CARB legal cats you can find by a large multiplier. Back when I still had an old Integra, out of curiosity I looked up the cost of a replacement cat (on Rock Auto): federal standard cat from Walker: $248.79. CARB compliant cat from the same company (Walker): $802.99. Madness!

What all is involved with setting everything up for the Bimmerlabs software? Apparently I haven't looked very far into it.

Start here: https://bimmerlabs.com/help

It's not complex but there are a lot of steps to go through. The most difficult part might be finding a working download for BMW Standard Tools. A lot of the old links have been taken down now

If only Castrol 0w-30 or 0w-40 was found locally. I've never seen those two products in any Walmart in a 100 mile radius. Which is why I ended up getting the Mobil 1 Euro FS 0w-40 instead. WM not putting it on their shelves for some reason. 🤷‍♂️
Castrol just updated their euro 0w40. I switched to mobil 1 since I can get it at walmart/autozone.

Thank you!

Move to El Paso County :)
While CARB is now a CO thing, most counties do not do emission testing. El Paso does diesel but not gas. The Clean Air Act allows tougher standards than federal standards, but not lower.
As for Bimmerlabs:

Move to El Paso County :)
While CARB is now a CO thing, most counties do not do emission testing. El Paso does diesel but not gas. The Clean Air Act allows tougher standards than federal standards, but not lower.
As for Bimmerlabs:

Believe you me, I would love to move out of the metro area! Unfortunately, for various reasons, that's not an option right now. We're currently in Douglas County, which, as a whole, I like Douglas County, I just wish they would do away with emissions testing like all the rural counties. In about ~3 years, we'll likely be moving on to better pastures- so I'm stuck dealing with emissions in the meantime.

Thanks for the links!

Believe you me, I would love to move out of the metro area! Unfortunately, for various reasons, that's not an option right now. We're currently in Douglas County, which, as a whole, I like Douglas County, I just wish they would do away with emissions testing like all the rural counties. In about ~3 years, we'll likely be moving on to better pastures- so I'm stuck dealing with emissions in the meantime.

Thanks for the links!
Hey, El Paso is most populated county in CO.
You are welcome. There needs to be meet among naturally aspirated folks in CO. Everything is these kids with N54/55 and who can do fastest 0-60 on falling apart BMW.

Thanks for the links!
Since Douglas County is currently in nonattainment you'll never get rid of testing unless that changes. Same as the five-county area here in Southeastern Wisconsin.

F8x M cars run Mann filters. G8x run Mahle. I don't think there's a real difference, it's whoever wins the bid for the contract.
M62 BMW uses Hengst oil filter and air filter, although recently it appears BMW switched to Mann for air filters. For N63 they use Mahle for oil and air.

Last edited:
Back