Quick lube shop left the old filter on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Is it possible that you could swap the filters without draining the oil?
The filter in my car is right on top of the engine and I suspect that I could take it off with the oil in and the engine not running without too much mess...could be totally wrong on that, haven't tried it as I just change it after draining the old oil and before refilling.

Yes. You can. Change filter whenever.

Originally Posted By: Jake54
I will still go to them, and I will still recommend them to my friends and family

Unbelievable. You have described a shop that has screwed up this time and a couple of times before and you have to go to your buddy to make it right. Yet you continue to go to them and still recommend them to your friends and family? The next time they might forget to put oil back in the engine (not uncommon at quick lube shops). I am glad you are not one of my friends.

.I figured the oil would drain faster if the engine were running when I changed it, but some nervous Nellie convinced me it might be dangerous..

Those nervous Nellies, they are annoying, aren't they? I mean, its not like your engine needs a flow of oil while its running, right?!
crackmeup2.gif

Wow, just.... Wow.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: stchman
My girlfriend has a service policy with the local Chevrolet dealer on her 2014 Malibu. They do the oil changes for free (as part of the extended service policy she paid for). On the work order they state they use AC Delco dexos semi-synthetic oil and a GM oil filter.

I think next time she goes in for an oil change, I am going to put a Sharpie mark on the filter. Since Sharpies are permanent ink, I can easily see if they changed the filter.

Be careful! I used sharpies and/or other permanent markers on some decals in the rear window and on chipped/worn paint on a spoiler. It looked good for awhile, but I think the sun bleached it or something because it isnt apparent anymore...aka it wore off. So, maybe heat will wear it off. I also tried it on keys, but it wears off as well. Nailpolish works better, but alas, it seems to be slowly wearing off.

So dont think your plan is full-proof!

I was going to do it a day or so before she went in for an oil change. Maybe I could take a nail and scratch my initials into the filter paint.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Is it possible that you could swap the filters without draining the oil?
The filter in my car is right on top of the engine and I suspect that I could take it off with the oil in and the engine not running without too much mess...could be totally wrong on that, haven't tried it as I just change it after draining the old oil and before refilling.

Yes, as an all-around automotive expert, I personally recommend turning off the engine first. Always a good idea. Yesssirreeee.....

On a serious note, having an oil filter reachable from the top side is awesome. Much easier.

For those whose oil filter is located in a tough to reach area, you really need to get a Fram Ultra, the best dirt capacity there is, and then change every other oil change (up to 15k miles total). Less hassle.

Ok dude, how much is FRAM paying you or how many free filters you been getting? Lol

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy
Ok dude, how much is FRAM paying you or how many free filters you been getting? Lol

Some oil filters are hard to take off, so just put the kind on there that can go 2 oil changes, all I'm saying. Stop the paranoia.

And, you comment on that, but when some mental midget proposes changing the oil filter while the engine is running, you have nothing to say? Really?

I actually am with this shop, My buddy is the manager, and they've always done a very good job otherwise and have given me great VIP price breaks. for instance I had a simular deal with my car about a month ago,
5.5qts new oil, tire rotation and balance, top off fluids, check alignment, and they plugged up a slow leak on one of my tires... all for $30!!
I know they actually did what they charged me for that time because I watched them.

So you are "with" a shop that ripped you off?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
05 hyundai tucson 2.0L

If it's the same filter location like on this 2.0 Elantra, then it'll likely be a fairly messy job...

Ummm... thats about as easy a filter change as I could ever imagine. Why do you say it'll be messy??

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Missing oil filter was a mistake. For example, some pilots have landed airplanes forgetting to put the landing gear down in position. So you think some hung-over weed-smoking garage mechanic might lapse from time to time? Human error. And his manager buddy is probably a cool guy regardless.

.I figured the oil would drain faster if the engine were running when I changed it, but some nervous Nellie convinced me it might be dangerous..

Those nervous Nellies, they are annoying, aren't they? I mean, its not like your engine needs a flow of oil while its running, right?!
crackmeup2.gif

Wow, just.... Wow.

Do I need to put "joke" wrappers around my attempts at humor for your benefit?!?!?
I assumed the cigarette butt comment would be the tipoff no matter what...

Some oil filters are hard to take off, so just put the kind on there that can go 2 oil changes, all I'm saying. Stop the paranoia.

And, you comment on that, but when some mental midget proposes changing the oil filter while the engine is running, you have nothing to say? Really?

The irony here could be mined enough to construct an icebreaker!

Sorry Virtus_Probi, its just that when you suggest changing an oil filter without turning the engine off first, I lost it. Looks like I hurt your feelings.

Sorry Virtus_Probi, its just that when you suggest changing an oil filter without turning the engine off first, I lost it. Looks like I hurt your feelings.

Ummm...you were the one who made light of me asking if the OP could quickly switch his old oil filter out and put a new one in while the car is off and not have a big mess...I honestly don't know the answer, that's why I asked.
I could point you to an oil additive manufacturer that recommends its product be added through the fill point (I understand pulling the fill cap and the oil filter are different things with possibly different effects) while the engine is running, if possible...the idea of even trying that blew my mind.

No feelings hurt, just kind of like having Peter Dinklage mosey on up to me and call me a shrimp. Had to chuckle and rebroadcast...

Originally Posted By: buck91
Ummm... thats about as easy a filter change as I could ever imagine. Why do you say it'll be messy??

Because he said he was going to try to change the filter without draining the sump first. It looked like the filter hole would spill some oil in that scenario.

I'd take my receipt to the shop and demand a full refund. If they refused, I would advise them that I would notify the news media and see if their consumer reporter would be interested in a news story.

He's not a walking, talking, breathing FRAM advertisement.
Besides I'm sure he'd only try that once before he figured out why that's a bad idea lol.

Really its all just in fun with me though. Ima use a FRAM and cut it open and post. Just to show my love for all. Peace brother

Also, you might apologize to him for calling him a mental midget. I'm sure he has feelings too and maybe just doesn't know.

Nevermind I see you already apologized

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Jake54 said:
05 hyundai tucson 2.0L

If it's the same filter location like on this 2.0 Elantra, then it'll likely be a fairly messy job...

I don't see what would be difficult in fact I owned a 2003 Elantra and did all my own oil changes and there was never any problem at all.

Ummm...you were the one who made light of me asking if the OP could quickly switch his old oil filter out and put a new one in while the car is off and not have a big mess...I honestly don't know the answer, that's why I asked.
I could point you to an oil additive manufacturer that recommends its product be added through the fill point (I understand pulling the fill cap and the oil filter are different things with possibly different effects) while the engine is running, if possible...the idea of even trying that blew my mind.

No feelings hurt, just kind of like having Peter Dinklage mosey on up to me and call me a shrimp. Had to chuckle and rebroadcast...

I changed just the filter on an 4.6 and lost approximately three pints.

I wasnt too sure what would happen. The whole engine couldve drained afaiknew, but apparently the adbv held a quart, plus the pint capacity of the filter = 3 pints.

I can assure you, the feeling is mutual
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I will still go to them, and I will still recommend them to my friends and family

I am glad you are not one of my friends.

yes.
Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Missing oil filter was a mistake. For example, some pilots have landed airplanes forgetting to put the landing gear down in position. So you think some hung-over weed-smoking garage mechanic might lapse from time to time? Human error. And his manager buddy is probably a cool guy regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back