Quick lube shop left the old filter on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jake54
and cheap.

Sorry man, ya got what ya paid for this time. It is well worth it to pay a little more for quality.

that's the thing, they usually do a very good job and have good deals. this the exception from one bad apple. that's why I go there from time to time.

one of the other times that they messed up it was a tire pressure gage they broke on one of my rims, the low tire pressure light came on, they told me it would take a littly while to reset...couple days later it's still on, went to the shop and told them, the shop rat that first came up I wanted to smack, he gave me the same generic answer (it'll reset itself). got ahold of the manager, got the tire off, and sure enough, broken tire pressure gage. They put a new one on there free on charge.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Jake54
and cheap.

Sorry man, ya got what ya paid for this time. It is well worth it to pay a little more for quality.

I worked at a tire shop and we had to save old oil filter gaskets for liability reasons... against allegations we left a gasket stuck to the block, "double gasketing" and blowing an engine.

It also helped prove we changed the fitler. We put them in a little baggie, stapled them to a copy of the work order, and sent them off to a file cabinet somewhere.

You can always stand in the service bay and watch them do their work. I've done it on many occasions. Once on my dad's car this big bruiser guy was incredibly nice to me. I caught him not changing the oil filter and he wasn't so friendly afterwards. Tried to be a sneak right in front of me.

Just stay out of their way and let them do their work. For example keep the convo to an absolute minimum.

Ask the manager what brand of filter they use. Then ask him why the brand that you installed previously is still on there? Then ask for a full refund since you now have to change the oil yourself to get a new filter installed. If they don't comply file a dispute with your credit card, start leaving reviews, contact bbb etc. And yes I know the bbb is worthless but some businesses will not want a report against them on it.

Last edited:
I did just message him and ask what brand they use, it didn't match up with what's on my car now.
he asked me to bring it by so he could fix it with no charge. it's actually more convenient for me to do it myself this weekend. I might just change the oil too while I'm at it. I've got more than enough around and the oil that's in there is already pretty dirty.

Originally Posted By: Barnaclebob
Ask the manager what brand of filter they use. Then ask him why the brand that you installed previously is still on there? Then ask for a full refund since you now have to change the oil yourself to get a new filter installed. If they don't comply file a dispute with your credit card, start leaving reviews, contact bbb etc. And yes I know the bbb is worthless but some businesses will not want a report against them on it.

So it's messy? Please. He paid for an oil and filter change and that is no excuse.

WTH does that have to do with anything? He asked if he'd be able to just swap the filter on his own without draining the oil from the engine first. So that's what I was responding to.

I agree with you guys any errors are not tollerable, but errors do happen, and this shop is more than happy to fix any issues free of charge, I will still go to them, and I will still recommend them to my friends and family

I think he thought you were referring to why the shop didn't change the filter.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So it's messy? Please. He paid for an oil and filter change and that is no excuse.

WTH does that have to do with anything? He asked if he'd be able to just swap the filter on his own without draining the oil from the engine first. So that's what I was responding to.

They should give you a complete oil change, and of course new oil filter. Any reputable shop would do this all for free after screwing up like that.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Is it possible that you could swap the filters without draining the oil?
The filter in my car is right on top of the engine and I suspect that I could take it off with the oil in and the engine not running without too much mess...could be totally wrong on that, haven't tried it as I just change it after draining the old oil and before refilling.

Yes, as an all-around automotive expert, I personally recommend turning off the engine first. Always a good idea. Yesssirreeee.....

On a serious note, having an oil filter reachable from the top side is awesome. Much easier.

For those whose oil filter is located in a tough to reach area, you really need to get a Fram Ultra, the best dirt capacity there is, and then change every other oil change (up to 15k miles total). Less hassle.

My girlfriend has a service policy with the local Chevrolet dealer on her 2014 Malibu. They do the oil changes for free (as part of the extended service policy she paid for). On the work order they state they use AC Delco dexos semi-synthetic oil and a GM oil filter.

I think next time she goes in for an oil change, I am going to put a Sharpie mark on the filter. Since Sharpies are permanent ink, I can easily see if they changed the filter.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Yes, as an all-around automotive expert, I personally recommend turning off the engine first. Always a good idea. Yesssirreeee.....

On a serious note, having an oil filter reachable from the top side is awesome. Much easier.

For those whose oil filter is located in a tough to reach area, you really need to get a Fram Ultra, the best dirt capacity there is, and then change every other oil change (up to 15k miles total). Less hassle.

I figured the oil would drain faster if the engine were running when I changed it, but some nervous Nellie convinced me it might be dangerous.
Yeah,right, and throwing cigarette butts in my gas tank after filling up is "not recommended"...wouldn't all those extra filters clean impurities out of the fuel???

Originally Posted By: stchman
I think next time she goes in for an oil change, I am going to put a Sharpie mark on the filter. Since Sharpies are permanent ink, I can easily see if they changed the filter.

Most places do put one on of course. It could be they just forgot, in a hurry, or they could always claim that as an "ooops" defense. There was an expose' news investigator video up in Canada a while back where the shop was, for example, caught only putting new coolant in the clear overflow tank to give the appearance of a coolant change, and other stuff like not even changing the transmission fluid when they were supposed to, etc., they tried everything!!!

Originally Posted By: stchman
My girlfriend has a service policy with the local Chevrolet dealer on her 2014 Malibu. They do the oil changes for free (as part of the extended service policy she paid for). On the work order they state they use AC Delco dexos semi-synthetic oil and a GM oil filter.

Be careful! I used sharpies and/or other permanent markers on some decals in the rear window and on chipped/worn paint on a spoiler. It looked good for awhile, but I think the sun bleached it or something because it isnt apparent anymore...aka it wore off. So, maybe heat will wear it off. I also tried it on keys, but it wears off as well. Nailpolish works better, but alas, it seems to be slowly wearing off.

So dont think your plan is full-proof!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back