Quick Lube Strikes Again!

I don’t think the internals of the filter housing are the same. It’s not just the cap that’s different.
Same principle then. If dorman makes an oil filter plug for my F150, and they do, then it should all just be plug and play. But that's the LSS guy in me trying to idiot proof things.

The Pentastars took a different filter starting in (I believe) 2015. Dorman simply makes one style of housing, which takes the later filter. So if you install that on an earlier vehicle, you need to be sure to use the later filter.
So based on this - the installer of the housing modified the vehicle substantially so it no longer takes the specified filter. If they did this with clear communication to the owner that this was now modified and required something other than the specified filter, then there absolved. If they didn't - there part of the problem.

The orange cap which had the instructions about the filter was changed to one that did not. The designer of said orange cap should have used different threads so a standard cap would not fit, or offered a version of the entire thing for that year that took the right filter. Bad design destined for this problem.

The lube jocky didn't care about either and simply used the filter on the work order. That is what there trained to do.

The owner took his modified vehicle to the cheapest place, and didn't demand the proper filter be used.

Trying to blame one person for this is a fools errand. The entire food chain is messed up. Any of those above could have stopped this failure.

Same principle then. If dorman makes an oil filter plug for my F150, and they do, then it should all just be plug and play. But that's the LSS guy in me trying to idiot proof things.
You can only idiot proof so much. There is always a better idiot out there than what you thought was the lowest of lows.

If a bright orange cap and a permanently mounted metal plate telling you which filter to use is not enough, I don’t know what is.🤷‍♂️

So based on this - the installer of the housing modified the vehicle substantially so it no longer takes the specified filter. If they did this with clear communication to the owner that this was now modified and required something other than the specified filter, then there absolved. If they didn't - there part of the problem.

The orange cap which had the instructions about the filter was changed to one that did not. The designer of said orange cap should have used different threads so a standard cap would not fit, or offered a version of the entire thing for that year that took the right filter. Bad design destined for this problem.

The lube jocky didn't care about either and simply used the filter on the work order. That is what there trained to do.

The owner took his modified vehicle to the cheapest place, and didn't demand the proper filter be used.

Trying to blame one person for this is a fools errand. The entire food chain is messed up. Any of those above could have stopped this failure.
Different threads? So then if the cap gets damaged, you’re stuck. And we would have people moaning how could Dorman be so stupid to change the threads. People would probably accuse them of being greedy to force people into buying their caps.

A designer cannot please everyone nor should that be their goal.

It easy to criticize after the fact. Everyone is an expert by then.

Different threads? So then if the cap gets damaged, you’re stuck. And we would have people moaning how could Dorman be so stupid to change the threads. People would probably accuse them of being greedy to force people into buying their caps.

A designer cannot please everyone nor should that be their goal.

It easy to criticize after the fact. Everyone is an expert by then.
Yes, change the thread. Solves the problem - no?

I suppose it depends on how this is marketed. If its marketed as a drop in replacement - then that is mis-leading because its not.

Changing the thread solves part of the problem. Or an entire different design. Or simply say it doesn't work for that year. Then the manufacturer is off the hook - you used a part outside of its intent.

Its no more inaccurate to blame the designer, than to blame the oil jockey. Or you could blame the installer for modifying the vehicle - however in this case it appears they had no choice. In the end the owner took a modified vehicle to the cheapest place - so its on them.

Any time a car owner makes modifications to a car, that changes it from the original specifications, they better be ready to do their own service on that modification. Or they better be prepared to very clearly communicate, to any shop that they take their car to, what modification has been made, and what the new specifications are.

It is unrealistic to expect anyone else that works on a modified car, to recognize the modification, understand what changes it makes, and know how to address it. Particularly at a place like a quick lube shop.

I agree that a good auto mechanic should have read the label on the cap. But lube bays aren't staffed by good auto mechanics. They are often staffed by kids that think they are real mechanics, but really only know the basics. And the work order says to put filter A on, so that is what they do.

If the Jeep owner knew that the filter housing takes a different filter, and did not tell the quick lube shop, then he needs to understand that this is his mistake, and accept the consequences.

You can only idiot proof so much. There is always a better idiot out there than what you thought was the lowest of lows.

If a bright orange cap and a permanently mounted metal plate telling you which filter to use is not enough, I don’t know what is.🤷‍♂️
Not being racist here, but what happens when Armando De Hungarian changes it? Armando no speak-a English.

It's an unnecessary design change. Dorman's change engineer should have put the kaibosh on this. My change management experience is in the medical field. I'm not designing and marketing any part that can jack up an Alaris pumps ability to push the right amount of medication to an IV. There is a reason that connectors etc are exactly all the same. Armando De Nursegarian can open up any pack of etc for said Alaris pump knowing that it doesn't matter if it says Cardinal Health, Medtronic, or Chucks Packa Parts.

Yeah the only one at fault is the vehicle owner. If you buy the vehicle with said modifications, it's still on you.

I can't be the only one here who upgrades to a different part or different model year part for advantages or revisions? This can be common in brakes and suspension, cooling systems, fuel injection (poppet style Vortec, anyone?) and more. Then it's ON YOU to know you have to order [part X] for a different make or model year.

My old Bronco had axles from an F350, seats from an Audi, a Taurus alternator, an E-series van p/s pump and a '70s F250 voltage regulator, just to name a few things. It's no one's responsibility to know these things but the vehicle owner.

Part of me wants to say that VIOC should have turned the job down right when they opened the hood. I'm sure their liability insurance makes their SOP alone says never to use anything but what is in the book. There is a reason they verbally call out every action they do, twice. Everything they do is verbally verified by 2 people. They are following their procedures.

Once the variable changed the customer should be doing it themselves, or coming back to your shop. I absolve VIOC completely here. Just my 2 cents.

I offered my help to my customer, if needed, to further explain their mistake to the manager. I want to talk them anyway to see WTH they have for an excuse.
This whole thing reminds me of the 6.0 Powerstroke oil filters. So many people get irrationally angry when they have to buy a cap because whoever did the change before used the one piece design and tosses the factory cap.

Part of me wants to say that VIOC should have turned the job down right when they opened the hood. I'm sure their liability insurance makes their SOP alone says never to use anything but what is in the book. There is a reason they verbally call out every action they do, twice. Everything they do is verbally verified by 2 people. They are following their procedures.

Once the variable changed the customer should be doing it themselves, or coming back to your shop. I absolve VIOC completely here. Just my 2 cents.
I get what you're saying....but the problem is that they did not take due diligence at all and did not notice the retrofit to "cancel service". In addition with literally thousands of these installed - all quick lubes have most definitely seen them before. The mere fact that they installed a replacement Dorman cap tells me they are aware of Dorman products. The tech doing the job is fully responsible for hacking that oil change and literally cracking TWO caps - the orange original and the one they replaced it with was cracked too. At what point does someone realize that hey something is wrong here - 2 times i can't get the filter cap secure easily?? Then you can't tell me the tech didn't see (hell even feel!) the huge metal tag on the orange filter cap that explains everything? This is truly a situation Dorman created but the techs at these quick lubes should know better and probably just don't care.

I get what you're saying....but the problem is that they did not take due diligence at all and did not notice the retrofit to "cancel service". In addition with literally thousands of these installed - all quick lubes have most definitely seen them before. The mere fact that they installed a replacement Dorman cap tells me they are aware of Dorman products. The tech doing the job is fully responsible for hacking that oil change and literally cracking TWO caps - the orange original and the one they replaced it with was cracked too. At what point does someone realize that hey something is wrong here - 2 times i can't get the filter cap secure easily?? Then you can't tell me the tech didn't see (hell even feel!) the huge metal tag on the orange filter cap that explains everything? This is truly a situation Dorman created but the techs at these quick lubes should know better and probably just don't care.
Brother what should be and what is are totally different things anymore. It's a shame really.

If you want it done right, do it yourself… The BITOG way!

This reminds me of the 6.0 liter powerstrokes. People would use an aftermarket filter that came with a cap that was slightly taller than the oem cap, then they put the oem filter back in with the taller cap and it would cause loss of oil pressure. Stick with the oem setup. They do this so they don't get sued for patent issues.

Have to agree here. Better safe than sorry. My Cobalt has been there a few times (during winter) and they have done a good job, knock on wood……

Back