Is this oil too old? Recs for a 2019 Subaru Outback, 2022 Lexus RX450h . . .

Of course.

And on the other, other hand, the oil burner could get rear ended and totaled, then you don’t need all that oil for top offs anymore.

Well whatever car you need to buy to replace the wrecked one needs oil too, but yes, you are right, generally hoarding oil is completely pointless for most people.

I'm still running oil of a similar vintage, and almost never to spec.
Navi: specs 5w20, using 10w30 from stash
Outlander: specs 0w20, using 5w20 from stash
Others: older Accord specs 0/5w 20 (not sure which), using 5/10w30.

Installed the Mobil 1 EP in the lexus today. We'll see how this goes. Going to post a oil analysis when I hit 10k.

They say GF 6 oil is better than the older GF5 but I have used both without issues. Oil is already millions of years old so use what you got.

Those oils would work fine in both cars. The Lexus has an engine that hasn’t changed too radically from 2016, the Subaru may have oil consumption issues but generally the Japanese OEs say 0W-20 is fine but nudge for a 5W-30 for “better” production especially if the car is driven under “severe” use.

That is a lot of oil to stash. As they are full synthetic from premium brands, you’d be ok. But it would take you 15+ years to go through thr stash.

If I am you, now would be a great time to start a car club and hold its first annual oil change day.

If you’re within the VA area, I’ll take a few jugs of your hands.

last year i picked up a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali 6.0...I went to change the oil and a buddy who was moving said I have 6 quarts of Farm and Fleet full synthetic 5W-30 (the weight recommended for my GMC) and it's yours if you want it...I asked a similar question you asked on this Forum and the responses were similar...all the quart containers were still sealed...

the oil color was the usual light, golden color, the approvals were GF-5 and SN...in went the oil with an OEM ACD filter...about 7 months and almost 4K miles later it was removed and replaced...no issues noticed and appeared normal throughout its use...turned out that this Farm and Fleet oil was oil I bought for my 2000 Escalade back in 2012 and originally gave to him...he never used it...almost 11 years old but in the sealed, quart containers

I bet you'll be fine IF it meets or exceeds the specs/requirements/recommendations for your vehicle...my 2005 GMC came with standard Dino oil so full synthetic of higher approvals worked just fine...

Good luck with your choice,

Bill

Back