Powertrain Warranty Question

My wife’s 2018 Buick with the 1.4L turbo has the dreaded coolant leak at 48,000 miles. The car is under factory power train warranty. Took it to a local dealer. Dealer said the coolant inlet pipe on the turbo is leaking. Provided as estimate of $1,900 to R&R the turbo, gaskets, etc. The dealer said the part that needs to be replaced is part of the “turbo kit” so the entire turbo requires replacement.

The dealer said it’s not covered under the power train warranty. I tried to argue with them saying if it’s part of the turbo assembly which makes the car move how is it not power train? They said sorry can’t help.

Is this typically not a power train covered item? Also seems ridiculous that the entire turbo needs to be replaced for a leaking $4 hose.

Car also has 125k mile extended warranty from another dealer screwing up an oil change…I’m sick of dealerships lately.

I don't think it's covered. That is an external part. GM's powertrain warranty coverage is very specific.

1714778036297.jpg

1714778134706.jpg

Engine Coverage includes: All
internally lubricated parts, engine oil
cooling hoses and lines. Also
included are all actuators and
electrical components internal to the
engine (e.g, Active Fuel
Management Valve Lifter Oil
Manifold) cylinder head, block,
timing gears, timing chain, timing
cover, oil pump/oil pump housing,
OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan,
seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel,
water pump, harmonic balancer,
engine mount, turbocharger, and
supercharger. Timing belts, and
other associated components
required in the timing belt service
replacement procedure are covered
until the first scheduled
maintenance interval.
Exclusions: Excluded from the
powertrain coverage are sensors,
wiring, connectors, engine radiator,
coolant hoses, coolant, and heater
core. Coverage on the engine
cooling system begins at the inlet tothe water pump and ends with the
thermostat housing and/or outlet
that attaches to the return hose.
Also excluded is the starter motor,
entire pressurized fuel system
(in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines,
fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and
return line) as well as the Engine/
Powertrain Control Module and/or
Module.
This is from manual.

Sounds like they are ripping you off big time. The coolant inlet pipe is GM 12690018 and runs under $40 at rockauto and the outlet is available as well. You don't need the whole turbo. I have fixed this before and the leak was actually the crush washers so perhaps snug the bolts up little to see if that works or replace the line if need be. The turbo is not hard to remove and the lines are easy to change.

Dealers are independent businesses. They're not going to fix something for free if they are not being paid for it.
I wasn't talking about the dealership...it's poor form GM isn't covering it. It makes little sense to say gee we know we made this defective product and oh hey here is a special-coverage bulletin to cover it but we aren't going to cover the $1,900 worth of stuff required to replace the defective part. I'm a pretty forgiving person but that'd be a problem for me.

That's just bad form to charge $1900 for a known problem that has a special-coverage bulletin...regardless of what the warranty states.

I think the special coverage bulletin is just for a failed turbo. The actual diagnosis from the dealer is the coolant inlet hose to the turbo. So the turbo functions, it just leaks at the coolant inlet hose.

I think the special coverage bulletin is just for a failed turbo. The actual diagnosis from the dealer is the coolant inlet hose to the turbo. So the turbo functions, it just leaks at the coolant inlet hose.
"The dealer said the part that needs to be replaced is part of the “turbo kit” so the entire turbo requires replacement."

Yet, GM makes the dealer replace the entire turbo and it's not covered. That just doesn't sound right to me. It may be technically within the contract of the warranty but it is still bad form.

"The dealer said the part that needs to be replaced is part of the “turbo kit” so the entire turbo requires replacement."

Yet, GM makes the dealer replace the entire turbo and it's not covered. That just doesn't sound right to me.
Those turbos are hot garbage. I think the real truth is that they don't want an unhappy customer when the turbo fails 6 months later and the customer just spent money on replacing the hose.

Those turbos are hot garbage. I think the real truth is that they don't want an unhappy customer when the turbo fails 6 months later and the customer just spent money on replacing the hose.
Lol...well that's also bad form...

Good form is providing a turbo that isn't hot garbage.

Lol...well that's also bad form too...
I mean, they gave the customer a politically correct answer to avoid the inevitable "ever since you replaced my coolant hose, my turbo now failed" conversation.

My wife’s 2018 Buick with the 1.4L turbo has the dreaded coolant leak at 48,000 miles. The car is under factory power train warranty. Took it to a local dealer. Dealer said the coolant inlet pipe on the turbo is leaking. Provided as estimate of $1,900 to R&R the turbo, gaskets, etc. The dealer said the part that needs to be replaced is part of the “turbo kit” so the entire turbo requires replacement.

The dealer said it’s not covered under the power train warranty. I tried to argue with them saying if it’s part of the turbo assembly which makes the car move how is it not power train? They said sorry can’t help.

Is this typically not a power train covered item? Also seems ridiculous that the entire turbo needs to be replaced for a leaking $4 hose.

Car also has 125k mile extended warranty from another dealer screwing up an oil change…I’m sick of dealerships lately.
...and GM wonders why people only shop their wares for the deal?
GM seems mired in the ethos of the seventies.

Another reason to buy a Toyota, with the lifetime Guarantee.
Interestingly, the only problem I've had with my 2020 Tundra was the hose going to the water pump was leaking - they replaced the hose, under warranty.

Makes sense to me. Even more reason for me to seek out a “patch repair” until the turbo inevitably grenades and replaced for free - with another new coolant inlet hose. Me paying for the full repair just delays GM paying for it. Hopefully me turning down the repair isn’t some kind of excuse for them to deny me in the future.

The first 30k miles were put on my wife before I married her. The original dealer used the incorrect oil filter the entire time - a Hengst filter jammed in the UFI housing. Unfiltered oil for 30k miles. I imagine that can’t help turbo life…hence the 125k mile extended warranty I received after writing GM a long letter.

Makes sense to me. Even more reason for me to seek out a “patch repair” until the turbo inevitably grenades and replaced for free - with another new coolant inlet hose. Me paying for the full repair just delays GM paying for it. Hopefully me turning down the repair isn’t some kind of excuse for them to deny me in the future.
It really isn't a difficult job. I would consider doing it yourself - you can have it done in a few hours.

Back