Oil changes for warranty

No paranoia required, just a storage tub and a lid. I keep all of my used oil filters during warranty. Doesn't take up much space. Log the OCI into the Owner's Manual, sign and date each entry and make notations on oil receipts also, including date and mileage. Ken.
At first glance I thought you were saving your used oil while under warranty. :ROFLMAO:

At first glance I thought you were saving your used oil while under warranty. :ROFLMAO:
Oh, I wondered about the "wow"

Maybe that would be a good idea for some here to save the used oil too :).

I also forgot to mention I also have UOA records on potential "bad actors"

... reminds me I have a sample to send out.

Last edited:
It's sad we have to look at oil changes this way but the manufacturer does want documentation. I know it costs more per change but I just pay for the oil change during the warranty period. I've had cars where I wanted the change more than the recommended interval of the manufacturer and I'll do a change in between the dealer changes. I do buy my oil in larger quantities when it's outside of warranty though.

I did technically void my powertrain warranty a hint early going Stage 1 on the GTI, so I don't bother anymore. All service will be done by me from now on. I've done a couple of changes myself but at least at the 10k mark each time I had the dealer do the service. Doesn't seem to matter now. I never had drivetrain issues, my only problem was a heater core and the powertrain wouldn't have come into play anyway.

Except Toyota which says it won’t deny a warranty claim based on lack of documentation, only for lack of maintenance. My interpretation is if you keep a log of service dates and mileage and abuse isn’t obvious you’re okay even if your WalMart invoice is missing.

These types of warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on, and the fact that there is so much wiggle room for the seller. I wouldn't purchase a substandard car with a great warranty, I might buy a great car with a regular warranty.

I keep my oil and filter receipts (usually walmart) I write the date and mileage on the receipts. I also keep a notebook with dates and mileage along with services performed. My brother has bought nothing but new cars for decades and does all his own maintenance and never saves receipts or has a log book. In all likelihood it will be very obvious during a warranty claim whether or not basic maintenance has been done.

These types of warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on, and the fact that there is so much wiggle room for the seller. I wouldn't purchase a substandard car with a great warranty, I might buy a great car with a regular warranty.
I have had gobs of stuff replaced under warranty across multiple products over the years (not just vehicles.) In fact, I had a brand new AC unit installed at the house a few years ago and last year the outdoor compressor shorted out. The installer and manufacturer replaced the entire outdoor unit free of charge and added a surge suppressor in case the utility was the one causing the problem. They even provided a warranty on the new outdoor unit.

I’m not sure what kind of fly-by-night or shady places you deal with regularly but I have not really had an issue with warranties. YMMV.

As some have said in this thread, I think a lot of this concern is way overblown.

Because money is essentially always involved and dishonest people band together (conspire) to cheat, steal and shield dishonesty when they're cornered.
But just because something is possible, doesn’t mean it is always a given. There are actually decent people in the world. The problem is nobody champions the good deeds people do so we only ever hear about the bad ones… Which makes it seem like that is all that ever happens.

I have had gobs of stuff replaced under warranty across multiple products over the years (not just vehicles.) In fact, I had a brand new AC unit installed at the house a few years ago and last year the outdoor compressor shorted out. The installer and manufacturer replaced the entire outdoor unit free of charge and added a surge suppressor in case the utility was the one causing the problem. They even provided a warranty on the new outdoor unit.

I’m not sure what kind of fly-by-night or shady places you deal with regularly but I have not really had an issue with warranties. YMMV.

As some have said in this thread, I think a lot of this concern is way overblown.

I can start with Honda....
But generally- my buying practices aren't swayed by warranties that are unrealistic.

For my last Genesis to document oil changes and service, I kept receipts and wrote my mileage on them and date changed, then took a photo copy because the receipts fade. But I also took it another step and pulled my phone out to record me pouring in the jug of oil, then in the same video film my receipt and show the odometer. Then upload to YouTube, unlisted so nobody else can see.

Pretty overboard but I didn't want to take any chances with my extended warranty denying a claim. This Genesis I'm having the dealer do the oil changes. I'll just document the fuel injector cleaner I pour in the tank.

School me please.New in 2019,VW Tiguan used Castrol Synthetic, labeled VW-508,0W-O-OW-20,you could find the same grade and brand at the parts store minus the label saying the VW specifications. But the quart at the dealer said VW specifications. Rumor has it,and I don't know who to believe,VW could tell by color or an additive what oil was actually in it.I have the 6 year-72,000 mile warrenty so I just do the dealership.My friend from H.S is a car salesman, He says VW can get really nasty about warrenty. I use to do all my own oil changes on previous cars,but for what these cars cost,and possible warrenty hassles,the stealerships price might not be to bad.And I might add,I do oil samples,the dealer pulls the sample,and the dealer paper work shows he did that.My oil sample paper work stays with car.I feel thats in my case the best I can do

School me please.New in 2019,VW Tiguan used Castrol Synthetic, labeled VW-508,0W-O-OW-20,you could find the same grade and brand at the parts store minus the label saying the VW specifications. But the quart at the dealer said VW specifications. Rumor has it,and I don't know who to believe,VW could tell by color or an additive what oil was actually in it.I have the 6 year-72,000 mile warrenty so I just do the dealership.My friend from H.S is a car salesman, He says VW can get really nasty about warrenty. I use to do all my own oil changes on previous cars,but for what these cars cost,and possible warrenty hassles,the stealerships price might not be to bad.And I might add,I do oil samples,the dealer pulls the sample,and the dealer paper work shows he did that.My oil sample paper work stays with car.I feel thats in my case the best I can do
If Castrol or any 0W20 doesn’t have VW 508.00/509.00, than it cannot be same oil! You can find plenty VW508.00/509.00 oils online.

I know there's plenty of shady dealers out there but my experiences have been mostly okay out here in Arizona. When my 2010 f150 with the notorious 5.4 3 valve Lost the motor, the Ford dealer didn't question me on maintenance just replaced it. Our old 2017 Armada had a few issues including the rear end needing to be replaced and didn't have any problems there either.

Like so many others have said just keep receipts and a basic maintenance log is the best you can do 🍻

If Castrol or any 0W20 doesn’t have VW 508.00/509.00, than it cannot be same oil! You can find plenty VW508.00/509.00 oils online.
Exactly. The poster expresses "My friend from H.S is a car salesman, He says VW can get really nasty about warrenty" and then in the same paragraph advocates for using an oil without the proper VW approval.

On the other hand also calling the grade "0W-O-OW-20" is something else to add to the mix.

You can buy the 508 00/ 509 00 at a local Audi or VW parts counter; in my town the Audi dealer was cheaper. I was going to change the oil myself on my leased 2019 VW Jetta But I couldn't (or wouldn't) manage the large undertray removal on the driveway - also I had a '67 Buick restoration going on the barn lift.

I am sure a ILSAC GF6A 0w20 would be fine in non-diesel applications with a moderate 5-7K mile OCI. VAG 508 is a low HTHS low saps oil - like ILSAC spec - and given the myriad other small 4 and 3 cylinder turbo engines that specify ILSAC lubes we would hope VW isn't using marginal materials in their engine assembly that would require a super special oil "crutch". The adjacent 509 spec is probably doing the heavy lifting here..

But ... That is nice warranty - let the dealer do the changes. Easy Peasy and worth it. - Ken

Last edited:
Back