Oil changes for warranty

You can also use Carfax I believe and upload your own service records for those that are looking for more than receipts/spreadhsheet type records.
You can, unfortunately they do not go on the permanent record (if a dealer ran a Carfax at trade in for example) but they are handy for the owner.

You can also use this feature for a free partial Carfax by adding a potential purchase vehicle to your garage. It's not very detailed, but you can see some service history for no charge.

Let the dealer manufacture prove you did not change the oil.
Sure, get ready to hire a lawyer to make them do that. This isn't free folks and they have more/better lawyers than you...how much is your time worth?

If an individual versus a dealer goes the legal route, then most private owners will be at a disadvantage. Although sometimes simply lawyering up will create the desired result.

As far as warranty goes, the way I see it, the dealer is already on the hook for the warranty. You already have it. So, they'd be responsible for proving you'd somehow voided it. JMO.

I would not want to give them easy ammunition however, so I don't get too far off the reservation and keep your records.

How much of this discussion is speculation? Has anybody here ever had a warranty denial on an owner maintained vehicle? The denials I’ve heard of directly through dealer technicians were clearly not maintained. In my personal experience following the OLM and using a quality synthetic oil, I’ve never seen any sludge on 100,000+ mile engines. How could anybody argue that it wasn’t maintained if there’s no evidence of that inside the engine?

How much of this discussion is speculation? Has anybody here ever had a warranty denial on an owner maintained vehicle? The denials I’ve heard of directly through dealer technicians were clearly not maintained. In my personal experience following the OLM and using a quality synthetic oil, I’ve never seen any sludge on 100,000+ mile engines. How could anybody argue that it wasn’t maintained if there’s no evidence of that inside the engine?
100% of it b/c this is so rare to not only have a lubrication issue but then also have any warranty drama where your records or oil type details would ever be questioned that would cause drama on a warranty claim. There have been several different vehicles over the years that the dealers ask this - VW 1.8s were one with sludging issues that I know of where VW wanted your records.

My car is under warrenty so I pucker up and let the dealer do it.About once a year I do a sample thru oil analyzers.That should be acceptable, I would think

Just change your own oil and keep your receipts. A lubrication failure is extremely rare even on a vehicle with questionable maintenance practices. I hate going to the dealer for service, I still do most of my own services even if the vehicle is under warranty. I don't like finding surprises from the lube techs. A lot of people have the false belief that a experienced mechanic is changing their oil at the dealership, nothing could be further from the truth.

Last edited:
I take 3 photos with my smartphone. Odometer/OLM display, picture of new oil and filter in front of licence plate, picture of full oil drain pan & used filter. With Metadata, that should suffice.
This is what I also do.

All photos have time stamps also.

Back