Used HIgh Mileage oil in my low mileage vehicle, am I causing damage?

Hey there, first time poster here. I have a 2022 Tacoma with the 2.7L 4-Cylinder engine. I bought the vehicle used with 13k miles. I did all the usual maintenance, including a fresh oil change. I used Mobil High Mileage full synthetic, the stuff that says it goes for 20k miles. Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, 1 Quart (6-pack) https://a.co/d/7RNKEND

I got it free, it was the appropriate weight (0w20). I’m wondering if it’s bad to use this oil. I read things about how it’s going to make my seals swell and probably cause it to leak if I change back.

I only have 500 miles on the oil change. Was planning to change it around 5-7k anyways, but wondering now if I should change it sooner - has damage been done? Will I be fine to wait until I’m due for an oil change? Is it bad to use HM oil in a low mileage vehicle?

Thank you

None at all. It won't over swell your seals and some argue it'll help prevent them from leaking. The issue is when you use too much of it like using at 205 which might be too much and make them rupture but hm oil doesn't have much plasticizer. You can always switch back to a regular oil then switch back to hm later then back again.

I myself would not do it. Why over expand a NEW seal when not needed. I would dump it 1,000 miles and make it a flush dump change. But, I do know when we used HM oil in our 200,000 mile work van. The Mobil 1 HM oil did not stop the leaking, only slowed it down. The Pennzoil HM mostly stopped the leaks. This correlated to some old industrial machinery that only need oil it it to make it last. The Mobil 1 HM slowed the seal leaks and the Pennzoil HM stopped the oil leaks. At least you have the lesser expanding brand in your new motor.

Why would you think the high mileage oil would cause damage? I am wondering. No a name brand high mileage oil will not cause damage . Look at the oils ratings. The oil has to perform with in the specs and if it damaged the seals etc it wouldn't be with in the specs.

Last edited:
No, won’t hurt it a bit. I used MaxLife 5W20 in a company Transit (‘18 3.7 T250) for 75,000+ miles due to an oil consumption issue that Ford didn’t feel like addressing, it was fine & slowed down the burning somewhat.
And, FYI, the Transit never LEAKED a drop of the MaxLife-it had loose, noisy rod bearings from Day 1 that caused oil consumption past the rings.

I myself would not do it. Why over expand a NEW seal when not needed. I would dump it 1,000 miles and make it a flush dump change. But, I do know when we used HM oil in our 200,000 mile work van. The Mobil 1 HM oil did not stop the leaking, only slowed it down. The Pennzoil HM mostly stopped the leaks. This correlated to some old industrial machinery that only need oil it it to make it last. The Mobil 1 HM slowed the seal leaks and the Pennzoil HM stopped the oil leaks. At least you have the lesser expanding brand in your new motor.

Why would you think the high mileage oil would cause damage? I am wondering. No a name brand high mileage oil will not cause damage . Look at the oils ratings. The oil has to perform with in the specs and if it damaged the seals etc it wouldn't be with ion the specs.
For the reasons mentioned in the quote above. I should have just used regular stuff

None at all. It won't over swell your seals and some argue it'll help prevent them from leaking. The issue is when you use too much of it like using at 205 which might be too much and make them rupture but hm oil doesn't have much plasticizer. You can always switch back to a regular oil then switch back to hm later then back again.
What do you mean, "using at 205"? Like 205k miles? - Someone else commented after you saying it'll do harm, exactly the reason I posted this thread. I keep getting mixed info lol

You guys are hung up on this alleged seal swelling. If it happens it's minute.

HM oils are good for having the catalytic converter killing additives that actually work to protect engines, though they still stay within API guidelines. Think of it like buying margarine, but getting the dye so you can make it look like butter again.

You'll notice oil companies combining HM with regular to make "all mileage" oil. What goes around, comes around.

PS if your cat dies, it's under an emissions warranty good for many years and miles. If you don't burn oil, you aren't sending this stuff to the cat.

What do you mean, "using at 205"? Like 205k miles? - Someone else commented after you saying it'll do harm, exactly the reason I posted this thread. I keep getting mixed info lol

Poster is referring to a product called AT205. It is added to your oil and reconditions seals.

But no, it won't swell them or damage seals in any way. I've used it for years and is basically the only Mechanic in a Can I use/trust (with limited scope of course)

at 205 is a bottle of plasticizer that one can use to super swell seals especially in transmissions which might not have an HM oil that could reduce leakage but sometimes it'll kill them and sometimes it stops or greatly reduces the leak without ill affect.

I guess unscientifically this ( above) gave me my answer. I would not do it on new motor, why add any form of added pressure to a new seal's "seal on spinning metal's 3,000 RPM pinch point, when CLEARLY a new seal is working just fine as designed in a 13,000 mile NEW motor. I guess I would have less of an issue running that oil in a 100,000 mile motor being even a non leaker, as that seals would most likely have worn some at it's pinch point. I will save the micro higher pressure at the seals pinch point later in life when the valve guide seals, turbo seals, main seals and cam seals really need the added expansion. New seals don't need any form of expansion as they are design to work for 100,000 plus miles without expansion. But I guess that's just the way I see it, and others do not. I say go a head and run HM oil on your car all you want, I certainly won't. What, all because you got $20 on free oil? Big deal. I would run that oil in my lawn mower or give it to a buddy that has a high mileage car where it makes sense to use that oil. I would use it in my daughters 125,000 mile 2013 Mazda 3. Perfect fit.

Last edited:
It's not going to hurt a thing. The seals aren't going to balloon to twice their size the way some people here try to make it sound. It's just not going to have the effect on new condition seals like this like it might to an old hardened seal on It's last legs.

Run this oil with confidence out to your planned mileage and don't think twice about it.

It's not going to hurt a thing. The seals aren't going to balloon to twice their size the way some people here try to make it sound. It's just not going to have the effect on new condition seals like this like it might to an old hardened seal on It's last legs.

Run this oil with confidence out to your planned mileage and don't think twice about it.
Boy, what an embellishment HA HA Are you a politician.

For my upcoming oil change in our 2022 Silverado (5.3 L engine) I'll be using 0W20 Havoline Life Long Full Synthetic Motor Oil. Here is a link to the description:

I do not know if Toyota has a specific specification like Ford, GM, Honda, and Chrysler has, but it meets ILSAC GF-6, API SP, and Dexos 1 Gen 3 specs.

All modern oil has seal conditioners in the formula. Lots of misinformation here.
We all know that, but adding them to a motor that is new doesn't make sense, when some expand the seal more then others as seen by my unscientific testing between Mobil 1 HM and Pennzoil HM. Ok, lets take YOUR new Porsche GT 3 with 5,000 and stick some Pennzoil HM in it. Of course my hypothetical would be name brand oil designed for that car but with the same seal expansion % as lets say the more aggressive Pennzoil HM formula. I am sure your in on doing that like I bet 95% here would have no problem adding it to make your point. Huh. I think not. But the commoner Toyota that is not yours.No problem.

HM oil has a "use case", a new motor is not that use case. Will it ruin the motor no, will it put unneeded stress on the new seals, plausible. Then why do it.

Back