Pennzoil Ultra vs Amsoil XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Definitely not if something happens and he has to lawyer up. FoMoCo has much deeper pockets and lawyers for such things on staff.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Dave1251, I wonder how much money is the OP going to save using XL over M1? $2 or $3 a quart? Given the potential hassle, those small savings aren't worth it.

Scott

What makes you believe if a customer has receipts and records of proper maintenance a manufacture would attempt to bring a case like this to court? It would cost a manufacture less money to replace the engine than take a case like this to court that the manufacture has very good case of losing?

"If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.

If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

Two other features of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act are also important to warrantors. First, the Act makes it easier for consumers to take an unresolved warranty problem to court. Second, it encourages companies to use a less formal, and therefore less costly, alternative to legal proceedings. Such alternatives, known as dispute resolution mechanisms, often can be used to settle warranty complaints before they reach litigation.

Consumer Lawsuits

The Act makes it easier for purchasers to sue for breach of warranty by making breach of warranty a violation of federal law, and by allowing consumers to recover court costs and reasonable attorneys' fees. This means that if you lose a lawsuit for breach of either a written or an implied warranty, you may have to pay the customer's costs for bringing the suit, including lawyer's fees.

Because of the stringent federal jurisdictional requirements under the Act, most Magnuson-Moss lawsuits are brought in state court. However, major cases involving many consumers can be brought in federal court as class action suits under the Act.

Although the consumer lawsuit provisions may have little effect on your warranty or your business, they are important to remember if you are involved in warranty disputes.

Alternatives to Consumer Lawsuits

Although the Act makes consumer lawsuits for breach of warranty easier to bring, its goal is not to promote more warranty litigation. On the contrary, the Act encourages companies to use informal dispute resolution mechanisms to settle warranty disputes with their customers. Basically, an informal dispute resolution mechanism is a system that works to resolve warranty problems that are at a stalemate. Such a mechanism may be run by an impartial third party, such as the Better Business Bureau, or by company employees whose only job is to administer the informal dispute resolution system. The impartial third party uses conciliation, mediation, or arbitration to settle warranty disputes."

Now if someone believes that they could lose warranty coverage by using a different oil brand other than the recommend brand in the owners manual go ahead and only use that brand. Do not take it to the dealership to have the oil change because a lot of dealers use a aftermarket oil that is different than the recommend brand than the manufacture. The most important factor is not to lose sleep over spilled milk.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I'd love to see the proof that Castrol lubed engines are dirty. I won't be using it anymore because of the formula change, but I'd love to see real hardcore facts that Castrol lubed engines are dirty inside. To keep it real lets, be sure the engines weren't neglected or had mechanical issues.

They are exactly that. Neglected. Run way longer than they should have been on the oil. Dirty. Some other oils, like PU and M1 allow you to go a bit further without getting so filthy. A good example are engines that are tougher on oil are the Honda 3.5L used in the Odyssey, and Pilot, etc. Take Castrol out to 10K. It will be dirtier than most. Do a normal OCI and you will never notice. Some oils buy you extra margin.

Quote:
equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A

Amsoil XL meets WSS-M2C945-A.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The most important factor is not to lose sleep over spilled milk.

This must come from someone who's never been woken from sleep by a full sized dog sanding the floor with a 120 grit tongue because she can still smell the spilled milk.

Both Amsoil and Pennzoil are horrible that's why I only use urine. Pure urine from the love child of Chuck Norris and the abominable snowmonster. I get it shipped to me from Nepal.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Both Amsoil and Pennzoil are horrible that's why I only use urine. Pure urine from the love child of Chuck Norris and the abominable snowmonster. I get it shipped to me from Nepal.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I use Amsoil because it keeps my face from being eaten.

Lol. How many miles does the Amsoil protect the face and...will it keep it as clean as Ultra?

Pablo, I'm not sure what "meets" means. "Meets" and "recommended for" are ambiguous terms in the context of this discussion.

Please give me a direct answer to this question; Did Amsoil submit 5w-20 XL for official testing within FOMOCO labs, for testing that was performed by FOMOCO, and did FOMOCO's testing prove that XL met FOMOCO's WSS-M2C945-A requirements?

If you answer "yes" to this question, and since you are a representative of Amsoil Corporation, that means if the OP's F-150 engine fails while running Amsoil and Ford refuses his warranty claim based on usage of a non-certified oil, Amsoil is going to step up and pay the OP for a factory new replacement engine.

OP, if Pablo's answer is "yes", I urge you to print this thread so you have "names, dates, and places". This gives you recourse should you experience engine warranty issues with FOMOCO.

Scott

So Amsoil says the following about their 5w-20 XL. All it says is “recommended for”. There is not a single claim or suggestion that Amsoil 5w-20 XL has been officially approved for any of the specifications they list. I think it a completely fair conclusion to say that this Amsoil has no official certifications or approvals.

Code:
DEO 5W-40 CJ-4/SN

OE 0W-20 SN Resource Conserving GF-5

OE 10W-30 SN Resource Conserving GF-5

OE 5W-20 SN Resource Conserving GF-5

OE 5W-30 SN Resource Conserving GF-5

OED 15W-40 CJ-4/SN

PCO 15W-40 CI-4/SL CI-4 PLUS

XL 0W-20 SN Resource Conserving GF-5

XL 10W-30 SN Resource Conserving GF-5

XL 10W-40 SN

XL 5W-20 SN Resource Conserving GF-5

XL 5W-30 SN Resource Conserving GF-5

This is the list directly off of the API licensee directory, under the section titled Amsoil.

If you want to know if it's dexos1 approved, check the dexos1 list. For Chrysler and Ford specifications, I'm sure there are lists out there.

Garak, good info re API. As I said earlier, this is why I like MB; they publish and frequently update an approved oil list.

Does anyone have Ford's approved oil list? This will settle this whole discussion.

Scott

From the Amsoil website:

"AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL, the First in Synthetics®, to do the best job protecting your engine."

They are saying they've been around for awhile.

Here is a late 2008 GM4718M and GM6094M approved oil list. No mention of Amsoil, just like there's no mention on the May 3 2012 Mercedes Benz 229.1, 229.3, 229.5, or 229.51 approval list.

GM approval list:

http://pangea.stanford.edu/~schmitt/car/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

MB approval list:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_de.html

So, we need to find the latest FOMOCO and GM approval lists to verify Amsoil's claims that it is FOMOCO approved for use in the OP's new Ford F-150.

Once certainly wouldn't want to use Amsoil in a Mercedes Benz while under warranty!

The reason I am pressing this point is because even though Amsoil XL is API approved for gasoline engines, someone please PROVE TO ME that it is FOMOCO or GM approved. I don't think it is.

Scott

Pablo, I'm not sure what "meets" means. "Meets" and "recommended for" are ambiguous terms in the context of this discussion.

Please give me a direct answer to this question; Did Amsoil submit 5w-20 XL for official testing within FOMOCO labs, for testing that was performed by FOMOCO, and did FOMOCO's testing prove that XL met FOMOCO's WSS-M2C945-A requirements?

If you answer "yes" to this question, and since you are a representative of Amsoil Corporation, that means if the OP's F-150 engine fails while running Amsoil and Ford refuses his warranty claim based on usage of a non-certified oil, Amsoil is going to step up and pay the OP for a factory new replacement engine.

OP, if Pablo's answer is "yes", I urge you to print this thread so you have "names, dates, and places". This gives you recourse should you experience engine warranty issues with FOMOCO.

Scott

Does Mobil get a free pass? Mobil claims "recommend for" on quite a bit of certifications. Also I will put the blame on Ford for the approved oil list also. The list of Ford certified oils is not exactly easy to find. At least it is not DEXOS. But is Ford's spec just ISLAC GF-5 specifications. So since Amsoil's XL line API/GF-5 certified it would meet Ford's specifications.

Here is a late 2008 GM4718M and GM6094M approved oil list. G
The reason I am pressing this point is because even though Amsoil XL is API approved for gasoline engines, someone please PROVE TO ME that it is FOMOCO or GM approved. I don't think it is.

Scott

Do not worry about GM lists. All have been superseded by DEXOS. I can assure you Amsoil is not on the DEXOS licensed list. I did not say approved I said licensed. The best answer you are going to get from Ford at this moment, trust me I tried thru myford, is that Ford recommends Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5W-20 for you your vehicle. Really?

Scott

If you aren't sure what "meets" means, then probably you should ask Ford. They wrote this "equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A". Amsoil meets the requirements. Test and composition requirements. As far as I know this and most oil specifications do not require actual submittable of the oil to "FOMOCO" for testing. That is not how it works. The oil is submitted to an approved lab for testing. Sometimes companies have a list (like VW, MB, and now DEXOS), and of course there is API. Other times there is no list.

The rest of your post is some kind of hyperbole, almost a boast. But I will play. First of all in the case of the language used by Ford (this is ALWAYS the KEY), they never say to use a listed oil. Their words are squishy, so your implications throughout this thread that using Amsoil OE or XL is a violation of a written warranty are just wrong. Your use of the word "certified" is your word, not Ford's.

As far as your corny giving recourse statement, it's not even necessary. I can clearly write this: Using Amsoil XL or OE motor oil in the correct viscosity grade will not violate the Ford warranty. Using a statement on the net as legal recourse is so corny, it's almost laughable - but you made your point. Using Amsoil won't violate your warranty.

Most of the rest of your posts just appear to be anti-Amsoil or something. I don't always get where you are coming from. Please scrutinize other oil companies as deeply and other people might take you seriously. Somewhere else in this thread you wrote Amsoil was never MB listed. Actually they were, but stopped paying the fee several years back so were dropped off the list. I do understand your position on your new cars using listed oils.

So, we need to find the latest FOMOCO and GM approval lists to verify Amsoil's claims that it is FOMOCO approved for use in the OP's new Ford F-150.

Well, it's not on the dexos1 list. The previous GM specifications are essentially superseded.

Once certainly wouldn't want to use Amsoil in a Mercedes Benz while under warranty!

That isn't Amsoil's target market, either.

Well, I did the API and GM legwork. You can do the rest.
wink.gif

Do recall, though, that not every major oil company was terribly happy with the dexos program. So, don't expect a bunch of boutique oils to jump on the bandwagon, either. I don't see RLI, Red Line, or Royal Purple on there, either.

You'll also notice here that PP and PU have been yanked from the dexos1 approved list. So, PP and PU are no longer warranty approved for GM vehicles. Yet, Amsoil should be?

Originally Posted By: Garak

You'll also notice here that PP and PU have been yanked from the dexos1 approved list. So, PP and PU are no longer warranty approved for GM vehicles. Yet, Amsoil should be?

I wonder if someone used PU and had a hard copy of this TDS from Shell on Pennzoil Ultra and dexos approval what GM could do on a warranty issue?

To the OP, I'd probably go PU just because I can find it so many places whereas with the Amsoil I'd have to rely on the one source for the good price you mention.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
with the Amsoil I'd have to rely on the one source for the good price you mention.

??? He can get the lowest price for the Amsoil from any good Amsoil dealer, preferably a BITOG Sponsor. I don't quite get the one source comment.

I love the way SOPUS does it. "Specifications and Approvals" and does a bulleted list. Interesting. Not challenged by SLO guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back