Oil for 2.7 ecoboost

We have a 2020 F-150 daily driver it does light truck duties when needed but mostly just a grocery getter. It has 75k on it and when I bought it at 68k I ran amsoil in it. My wife asked if that was necessary and to be honest I don’t really know the answer. So is it? Is it enough better to justify the cost? I plan on changing it every 7500 miles or so. I run the motorcraft filter. What oil would you run if it was yours?

With your desire to run 7500 intervals, my recommendation would be a EP version of Valvoline, Mobil 1, Castrol ect. The grade is your choice. I'd go Mobil 1 0W-30 or 40. Those cam phasers like oil right now.

2016 F150 3.5, 245k km
Tuned for at least 235k km, running around 18-19psi.
No oil usage, no engine issues at all. ( had to replace low and high pressure fuel pumps)
Used just about any sythetic oil that was/ is on sale at the moment of oil change.
5w30 or 0w40, changed every 8-10k km.

I think that more than the brand, is the intervals that are most important for ecoboost.
Edit
Now when I think about it, I also used 0w30.
Mostly euro rated oils

Of course amsoil isn't necessary but it's nice. These are dealer serviced with syn blend motorcraft swill that somehow costs more than QS euro 5w-40 which is far superior. I would use any syn blend but it must be less than $15 a jug to be worth touching but at $25 it's lunacy.

Any SP rated oil with euro certs is going to be great and especially for a turbo gdi engine. It's what I'm running instead of dexos 1 gen 2 0w-20 my 2021 6.2 Gm recommends. Still under both warranties without a singly worry.

Since you have no warranty concerns I agree with the gang that said use an SP rated Euro. 👍
I called Ford when I bought my 2015 F150 with the 2.7 and asked about using an Xw-40 oil in it cause that in what I used in everything else and Ford said it is fine we would have to prove the oil caused a problem which your choice of oil wouldn't . I have run M1 0w-40 in everything I own since it came on the market. cept for the F150 in which I ran the 5W-40 Quaker State Euro oil because of the lower Calcium.. Now M1 0W- 40 is Sp I will use it in the F150.

Last edited:
7.5k OCIs in that Ecoboost calls for a good oil and many Ecoboost owners on this message board run 5k OCIs.
Any Castrol, Valvoline, Supertech, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Fram EP-types - or a boutique like Amsoil, Red Line, HPL - and that's if you are dead-set on doing 7.5k oil changes. Some of these engines are fuel diluters.

So, your TGDI is not easy on oil and may even abuse the oil within 5k. If you plan on keeping it, do more oil changes while the oil remains relatively cheap enough to purchase

Last edited:
I would think any euro oil would meet your requirements. As long as its 5w30 or 0w40 or 5w40 you should do well. I am still using 5,000 mile intervals on my 2016. I am at 150,000 now and it is running well. I have also used super tech and kirkland oil in this truck. I use it about the same as the OP. I've been using Quaker State Euro 5w40 for a few intervals and it seems to be doing the job. Honestly, just about any quality 5w30 would do it but keep up with regular oil changes and unless there is a dire need don't go longer than about 6,000 miles on the oil change interval.

The Amsoil preforms well in mine. I'm doing 10-12k OCI's.

But any of the "good" synthetics will do the trick just fine.

7.5k OCIs in that Ecoboost calls for a good oil and many Ecoboost owners on this message board run 5k OCIs.
Any Castrol, Valvoline, Supertech, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Fram EP-types - or a boutique like Amsoil, Red Line, HPL - and that's if you are dead-set on doing 7.5k oil changes. Some of these engines are fuel diluters.

So, your TGDI is not easy on oil and may even abuse the oil within 5k. If you plan on keeping it, do more oil changes while the oil remains relatively cheap enough to purchase
Well at 6100 miles the olm still says I have approximately 4400 miles. Not sure how trustworthy the olm is though.

Well at 6100 miles the olm still says I have approximately 4400 miles. Not sure how trustworthy the olm is though.
You imply you short trip it by using it as a grocery getter so the previous owner must've been doing a lot more highway miles for the olm to have gotten programmed like that. I've had my 2021 since oct 2020 and it's still under 30k. My 341k yukon used to stretch the olm to 10k miles since it was used for over two hundred road trips.

Ford’s OLM logic seems to always imply roughly 10% drop every 1k miles. When I was doing frequent 10k+ OCIs in my Fusion, even though the OLM said 0% right around 10k, UOAs between 20-70% longer than that still said the oil was fine and serviceable. I don’t put any faith in the OLM, because it’s calibrated to the lowest common denominator, which is basic API minimums.

Use OLM at your own risk; rather than shortening OCIs to compensate for middling oils, I buy more robust oils and let the data tell me where it’s reached condemnation.

You imply you short trip it by using it as a grocery getter so the previous owner must've been doing a lot more highway miles for the olm to have gotten programmed like that. I've had my 2021 since oct 2020 and it's still under 30k. My 341k yukon used to stretch the olm to 10k miles since it was used for over two hundred road trips.
Grocery getter ie use it as a family mobile. It picks up groceries and takes kids to school and us to work. We live in a rural area so no trip is under 20 minutes. Most drives are 55-75mph.

Back