Is there a "best" oil for timing parts longevity in Ford's 2nd Gen Coyote?

^^^^ this ! ^^^^^

Piston slap is exactly what I was going to say. It’s a high probability among the class of noises that go away when the motor is at full operating temperature.

I have piston slap in my ‘02 Jaguar XKR, as do many owners of the 4.0 - 5.0 liter Jag V-8’s. Just letting the car warm up more before putting a load on the engine will keep it at bay, and keep it from driving you crazy.

Z
See my response above. I don't think it's piston slap because I hear it when the engine is not under a load. When I put a little bit of load on the engine, the noise goes away.

Decel rattle is a known issue with the 3rd gen Coyote in the 2018-20 trucks, and there is a TSB for it that calls for reprogramming the ECM commands to the VCT solenoid. As far as I know there has never been a TSB for decel rattle in the 2nd gen Coyote trucks, although I've heard from a couple of folks on the F150 forum that decel rattles can occur in the 1st and 2nd gen Coyotes. It has been regarded as "normal" or "characteristic" by some. So that's why I'm thinking the noise is coming from the phasers, because it fits a known pattern.

I've seen a few youtube vides of the 3rd Gen decel rattle. Mine generally fits the same pattern, but it's not as loud as what I hear in those videos.

If it's the "BBQ tick", I've heard of success with 5w30+ Ceratec or LG Biotech to quiet it down. Of course not saying that's what you have but could be easy to start there. I am hesitant to use Ceratec for the same reason as Mos2(solids).

The piston slap on the Jags I mentioned happens when the engine is cold and no load, car is sitting still. It still rattles under a slight load when cold. I don’t drive the car much until it’s warmed up. No noise then.

People that drive differently, with a stone cold engine, report that the noise disappears under brisk acceleration. But I suspect the exhaust and other engine sounds are masking it .

Back