Oil Filter Purchases for the Forester and Corolla

Gearing up for the Forester and Corolla oil change. Went with the cheap Super Tech for the Corolla, since it's mounted upside down and the drainback valve material wouldn't seem to matter. And went with the cheap Fram Extra Guard since I believe it's silicon valve and on a Subaru it's upside down so might matter.

Opinions on my choices? I run 7500-ish interval on both cars with whatever cheap synthetic I find in the months leading up to the change. This time will be Kirkland that was about $3 per quart.

Without knowing how much longer you plan on keeping them, or how many miles on them, or what they are worth, any opinion is like an *******, everybody has one. I prefer OEM filters and think 7500 ish is too long.
100k on the Corolla and 105k on the Forester. Both get driven daily 70 miles round-trip mostly highway. Both coming up on 7 years old. Corolla probably worth about 10k and Forester 15k, but I haven't checked book value on them in a few months.

I thought Subaru stopped recommending 7,500 mile change intervals several years ago.
They did. I recommend it to myself because it's driven 70 miles every day, mostly highway, at speeds of 60-70 mph on mostly flat roads. And weather is between about 30 and 90 between winter and summer. Never done a UOA but the oil is still amber after 5k right now on both. Not transparent like fresh, but not nasty black either. No GDI on either engine either.

If I were in the market for a filter I’d probably seek out a Premium Guard made “extended life” filter. Commonly found as the Advance Auto Parts/Carquest Premium, ORielly Auto Parts Microgard Select or a NAPA Gold. Purchase either based upon price or can color preference.

They will all have a cellophane cover on the baseplate and say “Leak Tested” stamped on the top.

I’m not a huge EG Fram fan.

I think you're safe as I'm no filter expert. I Don't buy many of them @KCJeep loves Fram EGs... he paints them green to look like Ecogards...
Good luck..
I used to use Quaker State filters for like $1.50 when places had them on sale for the Honda I used to own. That was years ago and traded it in with 200k on it. Used to do 7500 miles on that oil. Synthetic in the winter and plain old oil in the summer.

If I were in the market for a filter I’d probably seek out a Premium Guard made “extended life” filter. Commonly found as the Advance Auto Parts/Carquest Premium, ORielly Auto Parts Microgard Select or a NAPA Gold. Purchase either based upon price or can color preference.

They will all have a cellophane cover on the baseplate and say “Leak Tested” stamped on the top.

I’m not a huge EG Fram fan.
The prices on some of those are more than 5 quarts of oil on sale from Costco.

Gearing up for the Forester and Corolla oil change. Went with the cheap Super Tech for the Corolla, since it's mounted upside down and the drainback valve material wouldn't seem to matter. And went with the cheap Fram Extra Guard since I believe it's silicon valve and on a Subaru it's upside down so might matter.

Opinions on my choices? I run 7500-ish interval on both cars with whatever cheap synthetic I find in the months leading up to the change. This time will be Kirkland that was about $3 per quart.
Good Morning HowAboutThis,
Your driving a lot of good highway miles which is great for your vehicles! I read a VOA on the Kirkland oil and it is excellent oil having a total of 3,859 PPM of anti-wear and detergent/dispersant additives in the 5W20 . . . a great value.

I believe the Forester has a 6K OCI. I'd set both cars to a 5-6K OCI for ease of scheduling (I use Trip B as a simple oil life monitoring system) and go with Fram Extra Guards. They are 10K miles rated so you have plenty of safety factor and they filter at 95% eff. @20 microns. At $4.12 at WalMart are an excellent value and readily available. The anti-drain valve is now nitrile on the Extra Guards but with the 5-6K OCI and your highway driving they will work excellent.

The Fram website disagrees and says they're silicon.

Yes the website says that but because it has not been updated. The Extra Guards are now shipping with both nitrile anti drain back valves and the metal center core has been converted to a nylon cage. Depending how fast your local stores turn the inventory, they may have the previous version in stock. My local WalMart is completely switched over but my Farm & Fleet has the previous generation.

If you desire the silicone, the Fram Tough Guard has it plus a 15K life and top filtering performance at 99% eff. @20 microns with a price of $7.17. With a 5-6K OCI you could keep the Tough Guard on for 2 OCIs reducing your filter cost per OCI to $3.59 and less work for one of your oil change cycles! :)

Everytime I've removed the upside down filters on Subaru FB engine it's been empty. I haven't done this with the new Thai Tokyo Roki, Got an OC coming up next week and I will report back on that.

Wife drove the same 70 mi roundtrip highway and I streched the OCI to 9K miles
and had an excellent UOA report the two times I check as the car had a Lifetime engine extended service contract and I wanted "proof" that this interval was adequate.

Here is the UOA (the 7/12/19 run was Valvoline Syn with some Magnatec added for the magic it brings)

17crosstrek_UOA_112919_8199mi.jpg

Everytime I've removed the upside down filters on Subaru FB engine it's been empty. I haven't done this with the new Thai Tokyo Roki, Got an OC coming up next week and I will report back on that.
Please do.
Oddly, for all the concern over ADBV action, little or no differentiation is made for filter orientation.
Base up vs. base down vs. side mount
A canister filter's ADBV might operate better in a configuration it was designed for....IF orientation is considered.

Please do.
Oddly, for all the concern over ADBV action, little or no differentiation is made for filter orientation.
Base up vs. base down vs. side mount
A canister filter's ADBV might operate better in a configuration it was designed for....IF orientation is considered.
All vehicles in signature right down to my lawnmower - Vertical!!!

Back