Oil Filter Purchases for the Forester and Corolla

Yes the website says that but because it has not been updated. The Extra Guards are now shipping with both nitrile anti drain back valves and the metal center core has been converted to a nylon cage. Depending how fast your local stores turn the inventory, they may have the previous version in stock. My local WalMart is completely switched over but my Farm & Fleet has the previous generation.

If you desire the silicone, the Fram Tough Guard has it plus a 15K life and top filtering performance at 99% eff. @20 microns with a price of $7.17. With a 5-6K OCI you could keep the Tough Guard on for 2 OCIs reducing your filter cost per OCI to $3.59 and less work for one of your oil change cycles! :)
A thread on BITOG from 2022 mentions nitrile being a supply chain issue. Mine is orange. Isn't that silicone?

Gearing up for the Forester and Corolla oil change. Went with the cheap Super Tech for the Corolla, since it's mounted upside down and the drainback valve material wouldn't seem to matter. And went with the cheap Fram Extra Guard since I believe it's silicon valve and on a Subaru it's upside down so might matter.

Opinions on my choices? I run 7500-ish interval on both cars with whatever cheap synthetic I find in the months leading up to the change. This time will be Kirkland that was about $3 per quart.
Good Morning HowAboutThis,
I was grocery shopping in my Walmart this morning and headed over to the filter area to take a picture of the Fram Extra Guard with the nitrile anti drain back and nylon core I had mentioned in my post to you. The PH7317s had just been restocked so the shelf was full. I opened one up, and they have the silicone anti drain back and a metal center core! :oops: . For the last two months its been the nitrile with nylon core!
Perhaps they are still going through old inventory or maybe they're switching back. The date code on the filter was the 64th day of 2024 so March 4th they were made.

Everytime I've removed the upside down filters on Subaru FB engine it's been empty. I haven't done this with the new Thai Tokyo Roki, Got an OC coming up next week and I will report back on that.

Wife drove the same 70 mi roundtrip highway and I streched the OCI to 9K miles
and had an excellent UOA report the two times I check as the car had a Lifetime engine extended service contract and I wanted "proof" that this interval was adequate.

Here is the UOA (the 7/12/19 run was Valvoline Syn with some Magnatec added for the magic it brings)

View attachment 216320
Good Morning ARCOGraphite,
This UOA from 2019 has to be one of the best I've ever seen. I look at three items; Iron, Silicon and did the oil stay at its viscosity rating. You hit the trifecta, great numbers on all three. A sign of both excellent maintenance and driving habits by you.

Good Morning HowAboutThis,
I was grocery shopping in my Walmart this morning and headed over to the filter area to take a picture of the Fram Extra Guard with the nitrile anti drain back and nylon core I had mentioned in my post to you. The PH7317s had just been restocked so the shelf was full. I opened one up, and they have the silicone anti drain back and a metal center core! :oops: . For the last two months its been the nitrile with nylon core!
Perhaps they are still going through old inventory or maybe they're switching back. The date code on the filter was the 64th day of 2024 so March 4th they were made.
Yeah, since it's upside down I pay the extra $1 over the cheap Super Tech. I currently have a Super Tech that's blue on it...MP or something? Good for 20k miles I think. I may run that a second interval with fresh oil. They didn't have any of the extra good Super Techs that are blue at the store I went to, which was disappointing.

For the last two months its been the nitrile with nylon core!
That's a really new build date, so not old inventory. Maybe the nitrile ADBV and eCore center tube were the "supply shortage" versions.

Fram Ultra Synthetic is $7.62 for my Civic. Just me, but it's a case of diminishing returns looking for something decent that's cheaper.

Edit: Fram Extra Guard is $4.12. Wow, that's cheap!

Back