Bosch anti-drainback valve operation question

Below is my BOSCH D3325, and I believe the orange device is the anti-drainback valve (correct me if I'm wrong).

This filter was being used on a 1990's Camry 5SFE 4 cyl. engine. On this engine the filter is mounted in about the 4:30 position pointing down.
Over many past oil changes (using several different brands of filters), I always have an amount of oil that will spill out as soon as the filter is unscrewed from the base. The past two oil changes there has been no oil at all that spills out when it is being removed. Is this simply because the anti-drainback valve is doing an excellent job of what it is designed to do ?

I ask because I never paid much attention if those past filters had anti-drainback valves (and apparently they didn't?). The engine had been off for about 30 minutes, but that is consistent with most of my oil changes. Another variable is that I did take the head off and had it gone through by a shop a year or so ago; and I believe this condition showed up since that time. I want to rule out any valve lapping compound that could have been internal and unseen when I did the installation that could be plugging up the filters although I didn't find the media to be plugged from a visual instpection of the pleats.

Bottom line then is this anti-drainback valve why there was no oil leaking out when this filter was removed? And even though no oil came out, there was plenty of oil that was inside and it did come out (not pictured) just as soon as I cut open the housing so I'm confused.

IMG_2281(1).jpg

The Distance Plus was (is?) a pretty good filter-the goal of the ADBV is to hold oil inside, so, it did the job! IMO lapping compound, if it was present in the oil, would be visible in the pleats (should have made it through the strainer OK)-any machine shop worth a plugged nickel would have cleaned that up.

If the filter is full of oil then the ADBV is doing precisely what it's supposed to do, in my experience with used filters the rate at which oil diffuses through the media to the outlet on it's own with no pressure is very slow, the center tube is the outlet of the filter, the holes are the inlet, the ADBV is designed that the pressure of the oil left in the filter and the outlet and the passages above will push the adbv against the inlet holes and prevent oil from running back, if the adbv is still holding oil into the filter when you take it off that means it has a very low activation force and is doing precisely what it needs to do, to get the filter to drain well you need to jam a break cleaner straw or some small nails or wire into the inlet hole to force the adbv open.

Distance Plus ??......Those have been discontinued for a long time.. I think..

Bosch doesn't make any filters.. they contract everything from what I have seen.... that looks like a Purolator with a Bosch sticker on it so you get your warm fuzzy feeling and smile. :)

Last edited:
Bottom line then is this anti-drainback valve why there was no oil leaking out when this filter was removed? And even though no oil came out, there was plenty of oil that was inside and it did come out (not pictured) just as soon as I cut open the housing so I'm confused.
Because the ADBV was leaking and not preventing the oil in the engine galleries from draining out when the filter was removed.

Distance Plus ??......Those have been discontinued for a long time.. I think..

Bosch doesn't make any filters.. they contract everything from what I have seen.... that looks like a Purolator with a Bosch sticker on it so you get your warm fuzzy feeling and smile. :)
Purolator makes Bosch filters. I can buy a D+ on rock auto also.

I looked up the oil filter mount it looks like Toyota designed it to where when you unscrew the filter any oil that comes out of the center will run down the threads as you're unscrewing it and drain back into the engine, so there shouldn't be much oil left in the center tube when you pull it off, unless maybe you change the oil when on a particularly cold day and spin the filter off very fast.

Back