Oil capacity for the Ford Intec 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Lincoln with Intec 4.6. This is the all aluminum one that puts out 275hp. The oil capacity states 6 qts. I called the dealer and they told me it is also 6 qts. Ever since new, 6 qts puts it at the add mark and 7 qts. puts it at perfect. I ran 7 qts without any trouble. The dealer told me it must be the wrong dipstick. We had a few company trucks(these were Triton 4.6) and they were the same, 6 qts would not take them to the full mark, 6.5 to 7 qts would. Is this just a fluke or are all the 4.6s doing this? They are a super popular engine, I was just wondering if anybody else came across this.

I have a 99 F-150 with the 5.4. The owners manual states 6 qts also and 6 qts only takes it to the add mark. 7 tops it off perfect. Some engines are just like this. I find with a lot of GM's that the recommended amount usually only takes it half-way up the recommended range.

Go figure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Ford has had problems with the wrong dipsticks. 6 is probably the correct number.

A long term problem, indeed. I had a 1986 Ford Ranger with the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, bought new, that the prescribed amount of oil did not quite reach up to the add oil mark on the dipstick.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that a replacement dipstick would be that expensive of an item, even ordered from the dealership. If it were me (and I know it's not...), I'd just order the right P/N stick and give it a try. While it's true that they might well have their P/Ns dorked-up, I think doing this would give you some added confidence. And if it turns out that the factory gave you the wrong one, as in the right P/N stick is longer/shorter, or gives different results than the installed one, you'd have a pretty good argument for receiving the new one free (or perhaps reimbursed by Ford). Anyway, I'd not put up with this. Go for it.

I drove a 5.4 Company truck and I remmember it had the same 6 qt only to the add mark too, I forgot about that one. I know it aggrevates you when you change oil, dump in the prescribed amount and the dipstick says add. Its the first car, I ever had do that and then I noticed it on other Ford engines and that it might be a engine wide problem. I may try tolocate another dipstick at a junk yard and see if that changes things.

FWIW, mine (the Camry which is my primary vehicle) goes the other way. Even if you let it drain for an hour or two, adding the prescribed amount of oil always seems to lead to a slight overfill per the stick. Normally, I hold back a half-quart or so, and then over the next day or so, I edge up to the full mark. Last time I got lazy and just added 4.5 qts, and again, I'm slightly overfull.

I agree with the others that you're probably safely in "no harm" territory. Were it me, I'd still order a proper P/N stick just to see. OCD can be a good thing...
wink.gif

32.gif

Dipsticks aren't the only parts Ford has had problems with. I've had problems with getting the correct light bulb sockets too.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back