General RT43 replacement?

How about these ? YOKOHAMA Avid Ascend LX (H) . Number 4 in its category at TIRERACK . Deep sipes .

View attachment 207094
I like the Avid Ascend very much. However I got them because I deal with dry ground over 300 days a year and they handle fantastic in my Focus which was the point. My other two daily drivers are still running on their General Altimax RT43 tires at the moment. Those two are the 91 Mazda 626 and the 2004 LeSabre.

We have both 365AWs and CC2s. The CC2 is superior in every way except for deep snow. They are similar on ice. I'd recommend the CC2 unless you live in a very snowy area.

When do you normally put on and take off the winter tires? When do you usually switch?

Summer tires are acceptable from 40F and up

You make a good point. I typically run the winter tires from November to March. I'm just not sure I would really benefit from summer compounds. This is the wife's daily and our family hauler, hence the emphasis on NVH.

You make a good point. I typically run the winter tires from November to March. I'm just not sure I would really benefit from summer compounds. This is the wife's daily and our family hauler, hence the emphasis on NVH.

In that case, summer tires are no problem. Remember, these are not max performance summer tires like the PS4.

NVH will often be better on grand touring summer tires, too.

The ones I found are a good deal as well. I found the Michelin Primacy 4+ for roughly the same price as the RT45 in your size, and the Nokian Wetproof is under $70 each :D

European EU tire labels actually have criteria for noise, wet performance, and fuel efficiency.
For example, the Primacy 4+ tires I linked to earlier are B in fuel efficiency, A in wet, and B in noise (69 dB)

The Nokian Wetproof is C in fuel efficiency, A in wet, and A in noise (68 dB)

They are better with NVH than all-season tires, and better dry and wet handling, but of course, the tradeoff is that you can't use them in snow or when it's freezing.

P7 are good tires imo.

I have a set since 2018. They got a lot harder and noisier since then but the wet traction is still good.

In a pinch you could run All-Seasons in winter, and they will perform much better than summer if there is an early or late snow fall. Once you go with summer you are locked into having a winter set.

For the average DD the performance gains of the summer tire is not worth it.

Spoke too soon, it looks like the vendor corrected the pricing on the P7 AS Plus II but they are still close to the RT45s. Prices before installation:

1710798977399.jpg

I think I am in agreement.

P7 are good tires imo.

I have a set since 2018. They got a lot harder and noisier since then but the wet traction is still good.

In a pinch you could run All-Seasons in winter, and they will perform much better than summer if there is an early or late snow fall. Once you go with summer you are locked into having a winter set.

Summer tires might not be that much better than all season, but I did find some good name-brand choices at a great price.

For all-season tires, you might as well use all-weather. Most all-weather tires probably can be used year-round in the OP's driving conditions.

Spoke too soon, it looks like the vendor corrected the pricing on the P7 AS Plus II but they are still close to the RT45s. Prices before installation:

View attachment 209133

I think I am in agreement.

How much is the General 365AW for you? :unsure:

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II dropped in price again and I jumped on them for $540 CAD before installation! They do seem to be discontinued now so hopefully the manufacture date isn't too old. The RT45s increased to $585 and the 365AW are $684.

I've recently noticed that the aging RT43s feel significantly harsher after temperatures warmed up. Looking forward to less NVH especially on our upcoming road trips.

I went from the RT43 to RT45 and did not find them any nosier and was surprised by the evaluation that they were. They seem just as quiet, got 73,000 out of the RT43 on a 2005 Buick Century before they got below 4/32nds

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II dropped in price again and I jumped on them for $540 CAD before installation! They do seem to be discontinued now so hopefully the manufacture date isn't too old. The RT45s increased to $585 and the 365AW are $684.

I've recently noticed that the aging RT43s feel significantly harsher after temperatures warmed up. Looking forward to less NVH especially on our upcoming road trips.
I put the P7 AS+2 on my Accord based on the reviews of noise, wet, dry. I have been very happy with them and would get them again depending tests/reviews/availability at that time. The replaced some GY WeatherReady that were close to the noisiest tires I think I ever had. I was happy to get rid of them. The Pirelli transformed the drive experience in the Accord. Putting them back on in place of my GY WinterCommand was a quick reminder that I like the P7 for all above reasons AND I wont get the Goodyear WinterCommand again when worn. They never balanced up correctly and I'm not spending more on them after multiple attempts.

I put the Scorpion Verde AS+2 on my daughter s CRV for same reason, huge difference over the worn Defender T&H. Probably more from the age and odd wear but she and I both noticed a huge improvement. I can't really tell you about winter for any except quick tests, I run full winters. The most expensive part for me with winters is either getting rims or doing the mounting change 2x per year. Even if only a couple times in family hauler, I'd rather have full snows so I get the rims and only have to do driveway swaps. My kids tried the good, lots of depth all seasons and then the winters in panic stop and then turn about 20 minutes apart on their cars. The 30 feet shorter stop at 30mph and not sliding on corner kind of sealed it for them also. Worthwhile investment in safety for them and me.

One thing MANY look past is that the all of the "all weather" say the same thing as winter tires. Less than 6/32", not recommended for snow. So unless you plan to get new at that point, you are in same boat. I'd rather invest in correct gear. I wear boots in winter, sneakers/hikers in spring/summer/fall. My winters last longer, my 3 season last longer, all averages out in the end.

I have recommended CC2 (and others) to many and they are normally very happy. My sister loves her CC2 on her Rav4 but doesn't run winters.

I had a set of Nokian WRG2 as my "winter" on my Corolla for a couple years. They were great, used to leave the all season wearing AWD vehicles behind at stop lights etc.

I prefer non-directional tires so I can cross rotate if wear issues. My 3 season on 4 vehicles are either asymmetrical inside/outside or just just non directional fully. My winters are all directional so only front/rear rotations if noisy unless dis-mounted and then remounted.

If you want to try to see if happy, you could always get an all weather set for winter only. You'll have better wet/dry and maybe you'll be happy with snow. If not you could always sell them. You can also then use them up in 3 season and get new for winter since you have the rims already.

If I didn't have a set of winter tires already, I would get CC2s without a doubt. Already have them on many relative's cars and they seem to be perfect for our conditions (more emphasis on wet traction with good enough performance in snow)

Just had the RT43s' (H) installed in place of the studded snows . This may be the last year for them . The ACCENT also has the H rated which remain on all year . Will miss them when both need to be replaced . The 45s' don't impress me . Not as many deep sipes .

Not sure what snow handling is like in your area, but the CC2s are good in the snow. They won’t be “snow tire good,” but they aren’t a run of the mill GT tire either. We don’t get much snow here, but recently had a 1 week snow-in. I was out daily … of the Michelin LTX M&S, continental contitrack AT, and CC2, I’ll put the CC2 up front, the LTX M&S in the middle and the conti in the rear, which is pretty wild because the conti was by no means shabby at all - it’s snow performance was more or less like a good grand touring tire.

I can’t compare a CC2 to a true snow tire - I’m sure it doesn’t do as well, but as long as you aren’t slaloming the Volvo, the CC2 will probably suit you well.

On the yoko. I love Yokohama tires. They may be the most uniformly and precisely made tires I’ve ever owned. For some reason, their chemistry hasn’t excelled for me on wet pavement, cold or warm. I’ve had a few sets. They were average for me in the rain, and certainly behind continental and Michelin.

The best rain tires I’ve had are either CC2 or continental.

Back