MOTUL 8100 X-MAX 0W-40 Lost Porsche A40 in latest API SP version

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

As for the cost to obtain approvals, well that goes both ways. For me it's more significant to have the approval than saving a few cents on a purchase. But perhaps not everyone is that way.

There’s a reason why you’re on this site and I sell oil lol - unfortunately not everyone sees it the same way. 💪🏼

it seems that x-clean gen 2 after A40 lost more approvals ....vw is one and left only with 3 and some recommendations..whats going on with these approvals and this motul? why is this happening?
on page 2 of this topic ,there is the previous bottle with older approvals to compare with the late bottle, this one:

it seems that x-clean gen 2 after A40 lost more approvals ....vw is one and left only with 3 and some recommendations..whats going on with these approvals and this motul? why is this happening?
on page 2 of this topic ,there is the previous bottle with older approvals to compare with the late bottle, this one:

ACEA C3.. If there was a Porsche approval it would be C40 not A40.

Note: I think there may be an error on this PDS. It stated Mercedes Benz 229.5 which is not what you'd expect with C3.

Last edited:

Note: I think there may be an error on this PDS. I state stated Mercedes Benz 229.5 which is not what you'd expect with C3.
It is a mistake. It is MB229.52.
It had Porsche C40/VW511.00. Not sure what is going on.

I think they just now go with .52 as it has LSPI test. That is difference between.51 and .52.
Out of curiosity was that confirmed that Mercedes relegated the LSPI test to .52 only? I know @OVERKILL had posted some dated information from Ashton which said Mercedes was going to test for LSPI across all of their approvals but the details of the were TBD.

Out of curiosity was that confirmed that Mercedes relegated the LSPI test to .52 only? I know @OVERKILL had posted some dated information from Ashton which said Mercedes was going to test for LSPI across all of their approvals but the details of the were TBD.
And, unfortunately, Afton hasn't posted an updated handbook that would allow us to see what transpired yet.

This is what Motuls says. .52 covers MB229.31/51 and then some:
The MB 229.52 standard applies to all MERCEDES Diesel “BlueTEC” engines, equipped with SCR (Selective Catalyst Reduction) systems operating with AdBlue®. The MB 229.52 specification fully covers the MB 229.51 and MB 229.31 standards for all Diesel engines with or without DPF and certain Mercedes Petrol engines. The MB 229.52 standard requires exceptional cold fluidity properties in order to reduce fuel consumption and therefore reduce greenhouse gas (CO2) emissions.

Note: I think there may be an error on this PDS. It stated Mercedes Benz 229.5 which is not what you'd expect with C3.

It is a mistake. It is MB229.52.
It had Porsche C40/VW511.00. Not sure what is going on.
yes ,it had Porsche c40 ,its c3...i was looking at the excess the same time,so..
the thing is, it lost more approvals,4-5 has lost so far..having lost so many approvals ,first time i notice it in oils and its very unusual for motul.

yes ,it had Porsche c40 ,its c3...i was looking at the excess the same time,so..
the thing is, it lost more approvals,4-5 has lost so far..having lost so many approvals ,first time i notice it in oils and its very unusual for motul.
The question is: are those approvals still valid, that is, do they matter?
Many oils with a move to API SP dropped Porcshe A40 and C40. It could be that something is not aligning between the two.
As long as oil retains MB.229XX, it is top product.

Back