New family hauler - VW Atlas

Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2024 Atlas Comfortline last week. I was shopping for a 3-row SUV for a little over year, it is not easy to find the right one as there are so many options available. I was waiting the right timing as I sold my CR-V in October instead of trading it in. (was offered $12,300 CAD for trade in, sold for $18,250). After I sold it, the used car prices went down significantly, I think that was the right timing to sell.

I really wanted to get a Durango R/T, but the prices were so high, even with all the discounts, it was still $15k+ more expensive. I couldn't justify spending that amount for a family hauler just because it has a V8, and decided to spend less than $60k CAD out-the-door.

Back to Atlas - Canadian Comfortline trim is technically the base trim as we no longer have the Trendline trim, and the Comfortline trim sits somewhere in between SE and SE Tech in the States, have more features than the base SE, but missing some features compared to SE Tech. It still comes with decent features like heated/ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, 12" infotainment screen, digital gauge cluster, power tailgate etc.

We wanted the red color (which is free here, but $450 extra in the States), we've always had black, white, gray cars and wanted to have something more colorful this time. If there was a blue color option, we would probably have chosen that one, but red looks good in person. The Comfortline trim-red color combination wasn't available anywhere, so that's why I had to wait 1.5 months.

Even though it was a factory order, I still got $2k off MSRP, 3 year free maintenance, and no extra fees/packages. Here are the pictures:

View attachment 195582

View attachment 195579

View attachment 195580View attachment 195581

View attachment 195583View attachment 195584
By the looks of those photos, the Atlas looks massive……does it fit in your garage?

By the looks of those photos, the Atlas looks massive……does it fit in your garage?

I think it's because of the angle, it's a 1 car garage that is deep enough to take an F150, so technically Atlas should fit. However, I use it as a motorcycle parking lot, so it would be a very tight fit even if I park my GLI inside. The only time I park in the garage is when I work on my cars.

Controls are reason why I bought slightly used Atlas instead of 2024. I just can’t go with what they did. Though, materials are dramatic improvement over the one I have.
Congratulations!

Thanks! Controls are hate or love relationship, but I like the bigger screen. VW tried to offer smartphone-like experience, but people want physical controls, not a giant iphone. It is definitely annoying to interact, but we mostly use the android auto. I think they'll get rid of this design with the new platform.

I drove a press car (highest trim) for a week before buying just to see if I can survive, it wasn't a big issue for us so that's why pulled the trigger.

Very nice!

We're almost exactly a year into a 2022 Atlas-my wife's vehicle and bought at virtually a steal as it was new but left over 2022 inventory at the dealer and had a couple hundred miles on it.

It's been a great vehicle. I'm not normally one who enjoys driving larger SUVs, but I love how it drives and handles. As said, it's incredibly solid feeling.

There are some little annoyances with it that I often chalk up to German engineering, but also recognize them as fundamentally sounds designs. One of the ones that caught me off guard is that it won't move with the driver door open, which is is great 99.9% of the time but really annoying for the occasional time it's handy. I also simultaneously appreciate and get frustrated that the hood release can't be pulled unless the driver door is open.

Overall, though, it really has been a great vehicle.

Thanks! I couldn't find any 2023 leftover, all of them were sold. I like the 2024s so went with it.

The seatbelt thing can be annoying on your own property - or you can do what the service guys do (buckle empty seat) …

I disabled the seatbelt chime via OBD11, as I already have one that I bought for the GLI. Also enabled bunch of features like transmission temperature gauge etc.
Thats only 44k usd including high taxes.. nice value.

The drivers door thing might be adjustable in menu somewhere... IIRC it was on my jeep.

Thanks! The trim choices, pricing in the States and here are quite a bit different, but I think it still offers a great bang for the buck. If I could stretch the budget, I'd probably go with more enthusiastic options like the Durango R/T, SRT or Explorer ST, but this was the best choice for me (sub $60k out-the-door without a CVT).

I already have all the tools (including diagnostic tools etc.), oils, filters etc. for VW, so logistically it was also the right choice. It is a very similar drivetrain with my GLI, except the transmission. The engine is slightly updated, but it still uses the same oil and filters. The transmission is the biggest difference, as it comes with Aisin 8-speed instead of a DSG.

Last edited:
As bad as VW is, I gotta say that I do like the atlas. There’s one about 5 houses down from us in white. Nice

I think it's because of the angle, it's a 1 car garage that is deep enough to take an F150, so technically Atlas should fit. However, I use it as a motorcycle parking lot, so it would be a very tight fit even if I park my GLI inside. The only time I park in the garage is when I work on my cars.

Thanks! Controls are hate or love relationship, but I like the bigger screen. VW tried to offer smartphone-like experience, but people want physical controls, not a giant iphone. It is definitely annoying to interact, but we mostly use the android auto. I think they'll get rid of this design with the new platform.

I drove a press car (highest trim) for a week before buying just to see if I can survive, it wasn't a big issue for us so that's why pulled the trigger.

Thanks! I couldn't find any 2023 leftover, all of them were sold. I like the 2024s so went with it.

I disabled the seatbelt chime via OBD11, as I already have one that I bought for the GLI. Also enabled bunch of features like transmission temperature gauge etc.

Thanks! The trim choices, pricing in the States and here are quite a bit different, but I think it still offers a great bang for the buck. If I could stretch the budget, I'd probably go with more enthusiastic options like the Durango R/T, SRT or Explorer ST, but this was the best choice for me (sub $60k out-the-door without a CVT).

I already have all the tools (including diagnostic tools etc.), oils, filters etc. for VW, so logistically it was also the right choice. It is a very similar drivetrain with my GLI, except the transmission. The engine is slightly updated, but it still uses the same oil and filters. The transmission is the biggest difference, as it comes with Aisin 8-speed instead of a DSG.
Any solution for Auto Start/Stop on 24? I installed that bypass switch, but heard not available on 24?
As for physical controls, they messed up what perfect design. They could integrate larger screen, but it is IMO cost cutting.

That's a good-looking fleet of VW's you got there. The red looks great, as does the gray on the Jetta GLI.
Congrats on the new Atlas! (y) 🍻

Great pictures esp the one in front of the house with both vehicles. Is that an engine block heater cord coming out of the grille on the Jetta?

Any solution for Auto Start/Stop on 24? I installed that bypass switch, but heard not available on 24?
As for physical controls, they messed up what perfect design. They could integrate larger screen, but it is IMO cost cutting.
I installed a switch to my GLI as well, disabled it permanently. Tried coding it but it did not work.

I will try coding with the Atlas when I have more time to discover. Cannot use a switch because there is no physical button unfortunately. For now I am pressing the brake pedal a little less so it wont shut it off.

I installed a switch to my GLI as well, disabled it permanently. Tried coding it but it did not work.

I will try coding with the Atlas when I have more time to discover. Cannot use a switch because there is no physical button unfortunately. For now I am pressing the brake pedal a little less so it wont shut it off.
Oh, so there is no ASS switch at all? That sucks!

A/S/S is right a better acronym has never been used.

Why is it so hard to just give us a button that has memory.

Beautiful VW’s there. It’s unicorn red lol. See very few VW in red. They do have fifty shades of grey though lol.
I had a 2020 Atlas Cross Sport and I loved it. My wife complained that it felt too wide and they are crazy spacious inside. She may have a point though as the shop I took it to to get the windows tinted I overheard the tint installer say to a coworker that it felt so wide he had trouble backing it into the bay.
The new interior redesign is a massive improvement over the earlier model

Beautiful VW’s there. It’s unicorn red lol. See very few VW in red. They do have fifty shades of grey though lol.
I had a 2020 Atlas Cross Sport and I loved it. My wife complained that it felt too wide and they are crazy spacious inside. She may have a point though as the shop I took it to to get the windows tinted I overheard the tint installer say to a coworker that it felt so wide he had trouble backing it into the bay.
The new interior redesign is a massive improvement over the earlier model
The width is more noticeable with the Cross Sport because it is shorter. 3-row Atlas just feels like a giant 3-row SUV from all angles lol.

Back