2018 VW Atlas SEL w/4Motion and 3.6 VR6 6 year review

I did some 0-60 runs using my Dragy and of I remember it was in the 8 sec range...not bad to me for a big vehicle. The VR is smooth and sounds good. The new Evo gen 4 turbo 4 will have more go but the 3.6 VR can tow up to 5K lbs. It's got plenty of power if you don't drive it like a grandma.
New one is also 5k towing.
EA888 doesn’t have issues towing that much. It was more decision by VW to sell with VR6.

It really does have low miles, my wife was at-home until just the last year so mainly just scooting around to the store etc. Now back at it as a teacher with a short-ish commute. Then just highway trips a handful of times a year.

I'm glad I did the 18s when we got it and yeah, 265/60s seem to be a good "one up" size to use. Tire choices are pretty bad in these sizes as it's really just a big car. Also consider Solowerks coilovers. My friend runs that business and I've spoken to him about them, seem like a good way to go. I reached out to Bilstein about the possibility of adding B6s to their lineup which would be fantastic on the Atlas.

This is what I'd get:

Hmmm, that looks interesting. Though I wouldn’t go that high.
265/60/R18 have plenty of choices. I was looking in detail and Tire Rack carries around 91 different models of tires for this size. Costco also has bunch of options including their own X LT.
They are 30.5” which is same as base camp recommendations. I really like new Defender. Scorpion Zero I had 255/50 R20 are 33lbs per piece. Current 235/65 R18 snows Blizzak DM-V2 are 34lbs. New Defender in 265/60 R18 are 34lbs and give nice balance between on road and bit of off-road capability.

Empty VR6 with driver only cannot keep up with my 2.0T full with luggage, 3 bikes on rack and 4 passengers at Eisenhower Gauntlet. Not even close.
VR6 sounds really good, but here at altitude? Turbo rules.

I'm glad it had a driver when you were racing lol

As much as I like the VR6 sound, EA888 offers peak torque at much lower RPM, that's why it accelerates more effortlessly, I haven't tried it but I'm sure it can tow just as good, if not better. It also has lots of aftermarket/tuning potential. The gen 4's come with detuned Golf R engine, same turbo etc. You should be looking around 340-350 horsepower with just a simple ECU tune.

Gen 3's were also very capable, they were just treated as a base engine as there were an V6 engine option with higher trims, that's why it wasn't pushing a lot of horsepower in an Atlas.

I'm glad it had a driver when you were racing lol

As much as I like the VR6 sound, EA888 offers peak torque at much lower RPM, that's why it accelerates more effortlessly. It also has lots of aftermarket/tuning potential. The gen 4's come with detuned Golf R engine, same turbo etc. You should be looking around 340-350 horsepower with just a tune.
Turbo is far less susceptible to power loss at serious altitude. Ike Gauntlet is at 10,000+ft.
I don’t plan any tuning. As it is is perfectly fine torque wise. It holds 258lb-ft between 1,600-5,000rpm.

Back