New family hauler - VW Atlas

Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2024 Atlas Comfortline last week. I was shopping for a 3-row SUV for a little over year, it is not easy to find the right one as there are so many options available. I was waiting the right timing as I sold my CR-V in October instead of trading it in. (was offered $12,300 CAD for trade in, sold for $18,250). After I sold it, the used car prices went down significantly, I think that was the right timing to sell.

I really wanted to get a Durango R/T, but the prices were so high, even with all the discounts, it was still $15k+ more expensive. I couldn't justify spending that amount for a family hauler just because it has a V8, and decided to spend less than $60k CAD out-the-door.

Back to Atlas - Canadian Comfortline trim is technically the base trim as we no longer have the Trendline trim, and the Comfortline trim sits somewhere in between SE and SE Tech in the States, have more features than the base SE, but missing some features compared to SE Tech. It still comes with decent features like heated/ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, 12" infotainment screen, digital gauge cluster, power tailgate etc.

We wanted the red color (which is free here, but $450 extra in the States), we've always had black, white, gray cars and wanted to have something more colorful this time. If there was a blue color option, we would probably have chosen that one, but red looks good in person. The Comfortline trim-red color combination wasn't available anywhere, so that's why I had to wait 1.5 months.

Even though it was a factory order, I still got $2k off MSRP, 3 year free maintenance, and no extra fees/packages. Here are the pictures:

PXL_20231214_145943086.jpg

20231229_082509.jpg

PXL_20231214_145721889.jpg
PXL_20231214_145741100.jpg

PXL_20231214_145951170.jpg
PXL_20231214_150000763.jpg

That red looks pretty nice. I honestly wish they made the atlas in a long wheel base that added 2-3 feet more length behind the 3rd row. It would be an amazing value that would almost compete with the Suburban but at a much lower price and I know people would buy it if advertised enough.

Last edited:
Super congrats on your purchase....may you have good luck with it.
While I have no idea of your situation or needs, I'm kinda glad you didn't buy a Durango R/T; a performance trim, no?

Is it too much to ask the final price in CAN$...just to make a comparison?

I looked at a Taos recently and liked the feel of the whole thing.
Interesting that option packages (trim levels) differ between the US and Canada.

Re color (colour?): Our Mazda CX-5 color choices included a dark blue and a vibrant red. Keeping that red color waxed and shiny is more important than for any other car color with the possible exception of black.

Happy New Year.....don't flog your Atlas

Super congrats on your purchase....may you have good luck with it.
While I have no idea of your situation or needs, I'm kinda glad you didn't buy a Durango R/T; a performance trim, no?

Is it too much to ask the final price in CAN$...just to make a comparison?

I looked at a Taos recently and liked the feel of the whole thing.
Interesting that option packages (trim levels) differ between the US and Canada.

Re color (colour?): Our Mazda CX-5 color choices included a dark blue and a vibrant red. Keeping that red color waxed and shiny is more important than for any other car color with the possible exception of black.

Happy New Year.....don't flog your Atlas
Thanks, Happy New Year!

Final price was $57600 out the door, website shows $59500 all in, but they are not adding "dealer extras", so you usually end up spending $60k all in. If I was buying a unit from the lot, I would have pushed it more but they were all white black or gray.

Canadian VWs usually offer better bang for the buck. I remember my GLI was not just cheaper, but it also came with few features that is not available in US market, like the navigation screen in the digital gauge cluster, and heated rear seats.

In regards to your question about the Durango, I wanted to have a V8 but later figured it is too heavy and not the right body type to have fun, and couldn't justify spending extra. Would rather save up for a weekend warrior with a V8 and a stick shift in the future, and keep my VWs as daily drivers.

Last edited:
I have two neighbors that have the Atlas. Nice vehicles. Any association with Audi?

They are the same brand, Audi is the luxury brand of VW group.

The interior feels very "Audi-ish" with the updated Atlas, even though the updated infotainment controls are annoying to interact, it looks premium.

They are the same brand, Audi is the luxury brand of VW group.

The interior feels very "Audi-ish" with the updated Atlas, even though the updated infotainment controls are annoying to interact, it looks premium.
Controls are reason why I bought slightly used Atlas instead of 2024. I just can’t go with what they did. Though, materials are dramatic improvement over the one I have.
Congratulations!

Very nice!

We're almost exactly a year into a 2022 Atlas-my wife's vehicle and bought at virtually a steal as it was new but left over 2022 inventory at the dealer and had a couple hundred miles on it.

It's been a great vehicle. I'm not normally one who enjoys driving larger SUVs, but I love how it drives and handles. As said, it's incredibly solid feeling.

There are some little annoyances with it that I often chalk up to German engineering, but also recognize them as fundamentally sounds designs. One of the ones that caught me off guard is that it won't move with the driver door open, which is is great 99.9% of the time but really annoying for the occasional time it's handy. I also simultaneously appreciate and get frustrated that the hood release can't be pulled unless the driver door is open.

Overall, though, it really has been a great vehicle.

Very nice!

We're almost exactly a year into a 2022 Atlas-my wife's vehicle and bought at virtually a steal as it was new but left over 2022 inventory at the dealer and had a couple hundred miles on it.

It's been a great vehicle. I'm not normally one who enjoys driving larger SUVs, but I love how it drives and handles. As said, it's incredibly solid feeling.

There are some little annoyances with it that I often chalk up to German engineering, but also recognize them as fundamentally sounds designs. One of the ones that caught me off guard is that it won't move with the driver door open, which is is great 99.9% of the time but really annoying for the occasional time it's handy. I also simultaneously appreciate and get frustrated that the hood release can't be pulled unless the driver door is open.

I swear I moved my Atlas in D or R with an open door.
Will have to try purposely.

Thats only 44k usd including high taxes.. nice value.

The drivers door thing might be adjustable in menu somewhere... IIRC it was on my jeep.

Very nice!

The seatbelt thing can be annoying on your own property - or you can do what the service guys do (buckle empty seat) …

Back