2023 Toyota Venza LE(Hybrid/AWD) 7 month review

So after waiting 5 months for a Toyota Venza of our liking(color/interior/trim level) to arrive at our dealership, we have now owned/driven our '23 Venza LE for 7 months and this is my review.

We had to put in an order for a Venza as the 2-3 Venza's on any Toyota dealer lots were all spoken for. The LE trim level that we decided on has more than enough features for us(wife & I) that we didn't need to step up to a higher trim level. This vehicle was also the single vehicle that we(wife & I) had both agreed upon. We test-drove other makes & size categories as we actually wanted try the small(er) subcompact SUV AWD. However, for the same/similar money, we decided that we'd want something else.

YES, the smaller SUVs that were similar priced had features(leather seats, sun roof) that OUR Venza doesn't have(although we can get those features) and the Venza was the agreed upon and also the nicer vehicle. Also the Venza fit our criteria. We wanted another SUV with AWD but with a hybrid system this time. We wanted closer to 40 mpg instead of 20ish mpg.

The Venza is a nice vehicle that looks more LEXUS-like than TOYOTA-like. It rides smoothly and quietly, is comfortable with good fuel economy. Interior feature layout is decent, infotainment is also decent as are interior materials. Maybe even a step up over other similarly sized SUVs especially its brother the RAV4. But I wouldn't call it flashy.

However, the lesser points of the vehicle that are not particularly done well, we already knew going in. We wanted a vehicle for us, not for other people. Typically we buy vehicles that not only fit our criteria and for kids but will accommodate other passenger comfortably such as my aging in-laws with mobility issues . And this is where the Venza falls short. But, we knew this going in.

For the Venza's exterior size, it's not particularly roomy in the rear seat area and the rear doors don't open very wide for easy ingress/egress.
The hatchback/cargo area is okay for most of what we'll ever need it for including any(wife & I) vacations but not necessarily for the BIG BOX STORES, per say. For how the Venza is marketed(elderly/empty nesters & even mid-sized etc.) the placement of some of the controls and especially their FONT is smaller for my aging eyes. But as I said, we knew all of this going in and we bought it for us instead of the whole family/families needs.

So, did I like the Venza? YES!
Do I love it? Hmmm!
However, my wife is very happy again since we sold her 2001 RX300 in 2015 and she's wanted another SUV/AWD ever since.

Did you have to pay over MSRP? Does it come with the same engine as the Camry Hybrid or a V6? You should get many trouble free years out of it....it’s a Toyota. Good Luck.

Can you compared the Venza ride to your old RX. I recently a 2000 RX300 and really like it. The simplicity is nice.

Did you have to pay over MSRP? Does it come with the same engine as the Camry Hybrid or a V6? You should get many trouble free years out of it....it’s a Toyota. Good Luck.
No msrp. The dealer knocked off $1000.

Can you compared the Venza ride to your old RX. I recently a 2000 RX300 and really like it. The simplicity is nice.
This VENZA is many times better than our old RX in terms of driving dynamics, ride/handling and quiet.
I never thought the 1st gen RX was a good LEXUS and I drove 4 different ones from friends & family.
Not having heated seats on the LE is 👎
Well, the VENZA LE has cloth seats so it’s okay with us.
Gas mileage??
Summer…well over 40 mpg and as high as 46 mpg.
Winter can be as low as mid 20s depending on how much of the gas engine is used.

I paid $40200(out the door) in 2001 for the RX
and $38000(out the door) in 2023 for the VENZA.
The only things that the RX had then over the VENZA was heated leather seats & sunroof with roof racks.
The VENZA has more total features all-in-all.
They’re both Toyota Harrier’s.

Last edited:
I like it.
What did you need to change at the home, to keep the battery charged?
Nothing. The Venza is not a plug-in hybrid.
And just to add a bit about what the LE doesn't have(IDK if other trim levels do) is overhead/fold down sunglasses holder.

However there is wireless phone charger(Qi) and folding outside mirrors and power tilt/telescope steering wheel that moves upward when the ignition is turned off and lower again to your last setting when you get in and restart the car. AND...foot activated(open & close) power hatchback.

Last edited:
The most important question: will Carista still disable the seat belt chime? ;)

Nice review, like you said --- it's about you and the wifey and NOT everyone else. Contentment is crucial. I know with my Rav4 Hybrid I was getting easily 43mpg during summer months and probably as low as 33 mpg in the winter so far. Hoping it treats you and the wifey well for many many years.

The most important question: will Carista still disable the seat belt chime? ;)
That's be nice to do. I recall trying to program it out on my 2010 Tundra and 2011 Camry. No go. It would chime I think 5 times no matter what--default was chime always. So annoying. I thought about yanking wires and figuring out how to bypass but never got around to digging into the wiring diagrams, plus I thought there was some downsides to that, especially if I loaned something out.

But my '99 Camry, the fix was simple: cut the wires and twist together. Talk about nice! The chime is so bad on my 2021 Corolla that if I buckle up before starting, it often (always?) will give a half chime!

Reactions: D60
One last thing that I can say about the VENZA is that, though it isn't advertised or in any of the VENAZ's literature, the car does have "Pinch Protection" for the automatic power windows. Maybe all vehicles do today but it was something that our 2001 RX300 had back then. And I wasn't sure if the VENZA dis as well.

Back