*New Amsoil SSO 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
New here, will be switching to SS0 this weekend or Monday depending on when my new jack stands get here. I have heard lots of good things on the G35 forums and from various owners, so pretty excited for some good results. I intend to keep this car a long time and thus the switch.
I am switching straight from dino oil I believe, I'm not sure what's in there now as I just bought the car a month ago used. Need to get the new oil in ASAP even if the current oil is relatively new. I'll run a UAO on this to see how it was doing, but the change can't come soon enough for me.

I don't know exactly what results to expect from the first change, but I intend to run this batch for ~7.5k and do a UOA and see if I cant get it to atleast 10 or possible 12k without worrying or just swap it out yearly as thats close enough where I don't care.

I hope it does do well with burn off however as the 05-07 G's had quite an issue with piston rings that didn't seal properly from the factory and many owners have been experiencing massive amounts of burn off (more than a quart per 1k mi) until it finally happened to so many owners that Infiniti has released a TSB and will replace your entire engine.

As far as I have measured, my oil seems to be holding steady. I haven't pushed my car more than few times since I've had it and put about 1200 or so miles on it in the last month exactly.

Anyways, I'll be sure to post my impressions up. Again no idea what I have in there now to really make a comparison against another brand/weight, but I'll be sure to note any changes I feel if any as I'm trying not to have any preconceived ideas that will make me think more is going on than really is.

stradaONE8,
I think you'll love the SSO, everyone that has tried it notices a smoother running engine. In my Civic, the SSO sealed up the cylinders and I no longer burn oil. This was also accompanied with an increase in fuel mileage. I just can't say to my satisfaction how very pleased I am with this oil, magic?
thumbsup2.gif

Wow it reall sounds like this SSO is the real deal. I was going to run it last month but I had 4 gallons of 0-w20 so that is what I used. I think I will be running it the next time. I might have my Dad try it when he finishes the RX runs he is doing.

Welcome stradaONE8 might want to run Auto-RX. Sounds like running the SSO first would be putting the cart before the horse. I think it would be well worth it, and your engine would be better for it.

In lieu of using the Auto-RX, I did a short first TSO (at that time) drain at 118,000 miles. I had always kept up with my oil changes and the engine was reasonably clean (not as clean as it is now). Having said that, if you just aquired a vehicle and don't know it's oil change history, Auto-RX may be a good idea.
SSO has proven to be a first rate oil and can make a difference in most any engine. It is a wee bit expensive up front, but it's performance and the ability to go longer before needing a fresh sump load, makes it so much worth it. Try some, you'll really like it!

Originally Posted By: harry j
In lieu of using the Auto-RX, I did a short first TSO (at that time) drain at 118,000 miles. I had always kept up with my oil changes and the engine was reasonably clean (not as clean as it is now). Having said that, if you just aquired a vehicle and don't know it's oil change history, Auto-RX may be a good idea.
SSO has proven to be a first rate oil and can make a difference in most any engine. It is a wee bit expensive up front, but it's performance and the ability to go longer before needing a fresh sump load, makes it so much worth it. Try some, you'll really like it!

What is the longest you have gone on SSO?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Long enough to get a uoa.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

Long enough to get a uoa.

I've seen UOAs posted here on 500 mile OCIs....

Hopefully the oil can make that distance.

Yeah let's be real here, we haven't seen a UOA past 8k on this stuff yet so people should chill out.
07.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Yeah let's be real here, we haven't seen a UOA past 8k on this stuff yet so people should chill out.
07.gif

I was thinking there was a 10K or 12K UOA somewhere.
21.gif

But in reality I don't like all the sweet stuff that much either - some folks start getting the idea that the oil can replace their mistresses or something.

Average NA yearly miles driven is 12K. I use Amsoil 12K yearly OCI never had a problem with Amsoil in a mechanically sound engine. It's a good practice to have at least one UOA in extended drain yearly interval to see how the oil and engine is doing.

Just over 5,000 miles Bill.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: buster
07.gif

I was thinking there was a 10K or 12K UOA somewhere.
21.gif

But in reality I don't like all the sweet stuff that much either - some folks start getting the idea that the oil can replace their mistresses or something.
The oil would be way cheaper than a mistress .I would be happy with a super good 1 year 12,000 mile oil change interval.

Using ASL, I was consuming about a half-quart every 5k. Currently I'm at 5,500 on SSO and I've consumed less than a fifth of a quart.

Very, very pleased. I may even become giddy when I see the UOA.

So, you are running a oil that costs $7.75 (preferred customer) plus surcharge and a $12-15 oil filter for a total of $43 plus tax for a OCI around 5k miles in a Honda?

Wow..

If there were more like you, I'd become a Dealer.
thumbsup2.gif

I'd suggest that unless you ran the SSO out to AT LEAST 15k, your wasting $$.

For a 5k run, you'd do just as fine with any 5w-30 and a Supertech filter from your Wal-Mart for less than $13.

And your engine would run just as well and get the same MPG. And last just as long.

Esp in Florida weather.

Take care, bill

Do we have a time span on the 5k? I would surely choose a cheaper oil for such a short mileage run ..unless the mileage run was over such a span of time that I'd be doing 4 oil changes (or whatever) due to OEM spec's with lessor oils.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Do we have a time span on the 5k? I would surely choose a cheaper oil for such a short mileage run ..unless the mileage run was over such a span of time that I'd be doing 4 oil changes (or whatever) due to OEM spec's with lessor oils.

The time span for my usual 3,000 mile oil changes with the SSO is about 6 weeks. I have gone as much as 5,000 miles, but lately I have cut it down to 3,000 mles due to gas intrusion. I think I have that problem solved though. Then there is that matter of an antifreeze leak. I plan to tackle that one next. When all is to my satisfaction, I think that 5,000 mile changes will be the usual. I have tried other oils and frankly I am severly dissappointed in them. There has never been a better performing oil in my Civic than SSO and I plan to continue using it.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

The time span for my usual 3,000 mile oil changes with the SSO is about 6 weeks. I have gone as much as 5,000 miles, but lately I have cut it down to 3,000 mles due to gas intrusion. I think I have that problem solved though. Then there is that matter of an antifreeze leak. I plan to tackle that one next. When all is to my satisfaction, I think that 5,000 mile changes will be the usual. I have tried other oils and frankly I am severly dissappointed in them. There has never been a better performing oil in my Civic than SSO and I plan to continue using it.

PLEASE tell me you are at least buying from Pabs or Gary!

PLEASE...

So, you are running a oil that costs $7.75 (preferred customer) plus surcharge and a $12-15 oil filter for a total of $43 plus tax for a OCI around 5k miles in a Honda?

Wow..

If there were more like you, I'd become a Dealer.
thumbsup2.gif

I'd suggest that unless you ran the SSO out to AT LEAST 15k, your wasting $$.

For a 5k run, you'd do just as fine with any 5w-30 and a Supertech filter from your Wal-Mart for less than $13.

And your engine would run just as well and get the same MPG. And last just as long.

Esp in Florida weather.

Take care, bill
crazy2.gif
banana2.gif
10.gif

Gas intrusion, antifreeze leaks, 3000 mile OCI's, and $8.00 per quart oil???

[quote/]

PLEASE tell me you are at least buying from Pabs or Gary!

PLEASE... [/quote]

I would really like to. I became a prefered customer before discovering this site. I was issued a customer number when I signed up with Amsoil. I am under the impression that you are stuck with this number for the duration. If there was a way to switch to Pablo or Gary, I would be very receptive to the idea. How about it you guys, is there a new customer number in my future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back