*New Amsoil SSO 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BerndV
Originally Posted By: harry j
The time span for my usual 3,000 mile oil changes with the SSO is about 6 weeks. I have gone as much as 5,000 miles, but lately I have cut it down to 3,000 mles due to gas intrusion. I think I have that problem solved though. Then there is that matter of an antifreeze leak. I plan to tackle that one next. When all is to my satisfaction, I think that 5,000 mile changes will be the usual. I have tried other oils and frankly I am severly dissappointed in them. There has never been a better performing oil in my Civic than SSO and I plan to continue using it.

Gas intrusion, antifreeze leaks, 3000 mile OCI's, and $8.00 per quart oil???

I think that pretty well sums it up, all except for the gas intrusion, a new fuel pressure regulator seems to have put that issue away.

$8.00 per qt I would expect the oil to cure the gas problem the coolant leak and sexually satisfy me all at once.
I have yet to see what paying $7.00 per qt more than Pennzoil PP at $.99 per qt with rebate or $7.50 per qt more for Shell or or Chevron at $.49 with rebate does.

I don't like to tell people what to do with their money, but I would say you're throwing it down the drain with only 3k mile drains. Save the money, use lower cost oil and maybe look for a new car.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
I don't like to tell people what to do with their money, but I would say you're throwing it down the drain with only 3k mile drains. Save the money, use lower cost oil and maybe look for a new car.
thumbsup2.gif

Down the drain? I assure you, it gets recycled
LOL.gif

I just turned the page in my gas book. With 33 entries, and over 12,000 miles, I averaged 39.7 MPG. I am smitten with the SSO. The 1993 Civic was EPA rated at 36 HWY. The 39.7 MPG figure is for combined driving (I have been dabbeling with Hypermiling).
After a recent trip, I averaged 45.5 MPG over a course of 2,050 miles. I don't have a car payment, don't want one.

Originally Posted By: MrCPU
Isn't this SSO supposed to be like a 25k mile OCI? 3k seems like just throwing money away.

As far as I know, nobody has gone 25K on the SSO. I have gone 5,000 miles on it (unfortunately no UOA). When a UOA comes back with the numbers I am looking for, I will begin to stretch out the OCI intervals. I will do this a thosand miles at a time, each time relying on the UOA to tell me if I can continue the stretch.

With 6,700 on SSO, my mpg is down a tad. Not surprised though because I was using M1 0w-20 prior to SSO which is a lighter grade oil.

Originally Posted By: buster
With 6,700 on SSO, my mpg is down a tad. Not surprised though because I was using M1 0w-20 prior to SSO which is a lighter grade oil.

How's the oil burn off issue doing buster?

Not sure yet harry. About the same so far. I just topped it off and will know in a few more thousand miles.

I just turned the page in my gas book. With 33 entries, and over 12,000 miles, I averaged 39.7 MPG. I am smitten with the SSO. The 1993 Civic was EPA rated at 36 HWY. The 39.7 MPG figure is for combined driving (I have been dabbeling with Hypermiling).
After a recent trip, I averaged 45.5 MPG over a course of 2,050 miles. I don't have a car payment, don't want one.

Which model Civic, engine and transmission?
Mine has the 1.6 with auto and my best so far is just over 38 mpg. That was with 0W-20 and I have not had a chance to repeat the test drive loop since changing to the SSO. I have not tried any hypermiling but still exceed the old EPA mpg figures just by driving the speed limit and using cruise.

EPA has estimates back to 1985, New MPG Ratings

My Civic's ratings are below.

New EPA MPG
City 23
Combined 26
Hwy 31

Old EPA MPG
City 27
Combined 29
Hwy 34

The SSO has been in for about 1,300 miles and I was going to do a UOA on it at 2,500 miles. However I think the results would be unfair due to the 24 ounces (thanks to my son) of RLI Bio-Plus fuel conditioner that ended up in the previous (RLI 0W-20 oil) OCI for a week before I changed to the SSO. So those residuals as well as the RLI 0W-20 residuals will still be present. The engine was using about a quart of the 0W-20 in 3k so it should be interesting to see how much that changes.

Plus after changing to the SSO the idle air control valve went wacky, and I had to spray about half a can of BG throttle body cleaner through it and the throttle body to get things cleaned up. Then to top that off the A/C expansion valve decided to stop working so the engine has spent considerable time idling while I sorted it out/replaced it and converted the A/C from R-12 to 134a freon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jmsbntz

Which model Civic, engine and transmission?
Mine has the 1.6 with auto and my best so far is just over 38 mpg. That was with 0W-20 and I have not had a chance to repeat the test drive loop since changing to the SSO. I have not tried any hypermiling but still exceed the old EPA mpg figures just by driving the speed limit and using cruise.

EPA has estimates back to 1985, New MPG Ratings

My Civic's ratings are below.

New EPA MPG
City 23
Combined 26
Hwy 31

Old EPA MPG
City 27
Combined 29
Hwy 34

The SSO has been in for about 1,300 miles and I was going to do a UOA on it at 2,500 miles. However I think the results would be unfair due to the 24 ounces (thanks to my son) of RLI Bio-Plus fuel conditioner that ended up in the previous (RLI 0W-20 oil) OCI for a week before I changed to the SSO. So those residuals as well as the RLI 0W-20 residuals will still be present. The engine was using about a quart of the 0W-20 in 3k so it should be interesting to see how much that changes.

Plus after changing to the SSO the idle air control valve went wacky, and I had to spray about half a can of BG throttle body cleaner through it and the throttle body to get things cleaned up. Then to top that off the A/C expansion valve decided to stop working so the engine has spent considerable time idling while I sorted it out/replaced it and converted the A/C from R-12 to 134a freon.

1993 Civic with 1.5 liter engine, automatic transmission, presently 248,000 miles on the clock.

My son has the 1.6 in his '98 Civic and uses the SSO as well. He doesn't get as good mileage as you do, perhaps if he kept to the speed limit he'd do better than the 30 MPG he gets now. He had the same problem with the IAC as you did. He elected to change it out rather than spray and pray.

I am reluctant to add anything or use any product (Techron etc)until an oil change is due.

I am thinking that if you stay with the SSO, and give it a fair trial, your engine will run better than it has ever done before. Honda engine seem to love the stuff.

harry, Honda's don't need special oil and don't run better on any particular oil. I have a Honda and have used about 10 different brands of oil and all were the same. We don't even have any UOA's past 8k on this oil so no conclusions can be made about it yet.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
harry j ,I agree with you on the car payment.

Steve S,
How about those SUV owners with a gas payment that can exceed the monthly loan payment!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
harry j ,I agree with you on the car payment.

Steve S,
How about those SUV owners with a gas payment that can exceed the monthly loan payment!
especially those who owe more than it is worth. Or bought them on a home refi. Or traded in their unpaid for car to buy a SUV with 6 year financing and are whining about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back