*New Amsoil SSO 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
harry, Amsoil has discontinued the sale of SSO to Florida due to new regulations. You will no longer be able to use it. Sorry pal.
thumbsup2.gif

I don't think demand is quite there for a SSO 0w40. The trend in Europe is towards thinner SAE 0w30/5w30 oils. Their 0w20 is already excellent so I don't see the need for a SSO 0w20. Most likely they will use this technology down the road in other oils. That is usually how it works.

In my application (1993 Civic 1.5 liter) the SSO may start out as a 30wt but according to my UOA'S it is actually on the high end of 20wt oil. I am not really concerned though, wear numbers consistantly come back very low.

Originally Posted By: harry j
In my application (1993 Civic 1.5 liter) the SSO may start out as a 30wt but according to my UOA'S it is actually on the high end of 20wt oil. I am not really concerned though, wear numbers consistantly come back very low.

(disclosure act)

Harry, when you run your UOAs and SSO (an extended drain oil) how long have/are your OCIs?

Anyone not familiar with your oil usage needs to know that data to have insight on your post about SSO weight and UOAs.

Thanks, Bill

You're right Bill. I am changing out the SSO at around 4,000 miles now.
The engine runs fine and Blackstone couldn't find any wear particles.
The original factory recommendation was for 5W-30 (I don't think 0W-30 was available then) so the SSO being a 30wt should be fine.

It turns out that the SSO is at the upper end of 20wt in my engine. The gas intrusion problem I had earlier seems to have been fixed, so I don't know what's going on here.

Any ideas Bill?

Hary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back