Need Advice: driving Ultra HP Summer tires on ice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: paul246

Next time you are sliding into an intersection that has been polished like glass give it a try, you'll be amazed at how much more control you have in reducing the vehicle's momentum. The car will come to a halt much quicker.

Notice also that there is no interlock between "drive" and "neutral". Its obvious that the intent was to make it simple to be able to lightly push the selector into neutral when required. Been doing it for many years as I drive on glare ice a lot, no problems ever.

However, I still see lots of people fight with the engine try to pull then onward into the intersection, watch their eyes getting bigger and bigger as they slide helplessly into the danger zone.

Yep, I have to put my Corvette's trans into neutral a lot during the wintertime, it definitely stops the car quicker than leaving it in drive if you're on very icy roads. When the roads are super slick like that, the car will often just keep moving and won't stop at all, the ABS just keeps cycling so much that it doesn't do any actual braking! But if I throw it in neutral at those slow speeds (5mph or so) the car will almost come to a complete stop within a few feet.

My townhouse complex is actually the most dangerous place whenever there is a big storm here. I always make my 25 mile drive home from work in the snow without any problems at all, and as soon as I pull into my complex (which never gets salted right away, the guys always take a few hours to show up) I am sliding all over the place and will overshoot my driveway completely if I try to stop with the trans in drive. I end up needing to bump it back and forth between neutral and the second gear start feature in order to finish off the last few hundred feet of my journey in safety.

It's only happened to me with a high torque engine w RWD. My 454 ..at a stop light ..slick road ..waiting for the green ..rear end spinning slowly ..me wondering ..
54.gif
Never had it be an issue with stopping.

I learned about kicking the trans into neutral when I first learned to drive - in the midwest.

Where I currently live, it snows may be once a year. But when it does, it causes havoc. The ground doesn't freeze, so the roads turn to ice pretty quickly.

A couple of years back it started snowing mid morning on a weekday. The city declared a snow emergency and lots of businesses closed at 2pm. By 3 pm the expressway was bumper to bumper on ice.

About 2 miles from my exit, some lanes of traffic were at a standstill - some were still going - but slowly. I watched an SUV go slowly by me with the front wheels locked and the rears rotating. The driver was having trouble keeping the car in the lane - not to mention that we were on a slight downhill. Luckily, pumping the brakes seemed to help and the SUV got stopped before hitting anything.

okay apparently another one of my posts got deleted? I thought Overkill made a post in here too. Why is it all of sudden my posts are getting deleted?

Originally Posted By: Buffman
okay apparently another one of my posts got deleted? I thought Overkill made a post in here too. Why is it all of sudden my posts are getting deleted?

The discussion about whether it is ever appropriate to use all season tires in the winter turned pretty rough. I'm subscribed with instant email notification, so I got them all in my email (uncensored, surprisingly). But by the time I checked back here, they had been deleted. I think they deleted around posts 10 in this thread.

Yeah, I got them yesterday. The tread looks like it should work well. It has a wide grooves and staggered tread.

Conti-Extreme Contacts were the other one I was considering.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
Originally Posted By: Buffman

The discussion about whether it is ever appropriate to use all season tires in the winter turned pretty rough. I'm subscribed with instant email notification, so I got them all in my email (uncensored, surprisingly). But by the time I checked back here, they had been deleted. I think they deleted around posts 10 in this thread.

OKay?? I don't think I said anything mean or flamed anyone so why did my post get deleted then?

want to PM me with the replies or email them to me. I want to see what was said that was so bad it had to be deleted about simple tire discussion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ksJoe
Yeah, I got them yesterday. The tread looks like it should work well. It has a wide grooves and staggered tread.

Looks like you might get to try them in snow in the near term. Let us know how they work.

I would think an all-season that has a good winter reputation would do fine for your conditions. I prefer winter tires but they aren't necessary.

I learned growing up to kick a rwd car into neutral on ice when stopping as well. It matters less on a fwd vehicle since the stronger brakes are on the drive axle. On a rwd vehicle the rear brakes are biased for much less braking than the fronts and when on ice the torque of the engine at idle is stronger than the braking force available with the ice and the rear tires will never stop moving if you try to stop gently.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Last night we got around 2 1/2 inches of snow. The temps have been in the teens to low twenties (F), making the snow fairly dry.

Traction is a lot better with the all season tires. Not quite as good as I was hoping for, but its fine. I think part of it is because this is the first car I've had with antilock brakes, traction control, VSD, EBD, etc. The traction control seems pretty aggressive. Once it kicks in, the car is basically idling for several seconds until it lets it try again. That exaggerates my sense of the traction issues. I've only had it since sept, so I'm still getting used to it.

The snow mode button is helpful. With 306 hp in a compact sedan, it doesn't take much pedal to rip the tires loose in the snow. Since its drive by wire, the snow mode not only changes the shift points, it also makes the gas pedal a lot less responsive. That makes it a lot easier to drive in the snow.

On the way home I got some sand bags to put in the trunk, which helped a little more.

Wet slush traction is excellent.

For dry traction & handling, these tires have softer sidewalls than the old ones. The ride is noticeably smoother and quieter. But the steering is also noticeably less responsive. I prefer it this way, since the ride was pretty harsh before (at recommended tire pressure in both sets).

Sounds good. The Yoko W4S is pretty crisp handling for an all-seasons tire. I'm not surprised they ride better than the 'Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back