New Car with Summer Tires: Need Winter Tires, Too?

Do you have experience driving on CC2's and seeing issues like this? I've put almost 30K miles on CC2 tires in all kinds of temperatures from around 100*f to -6*f. While not all of this was in a performance car, I did abuse the tires (launches, etc. in my RAV4 Prime, lol!) in relatively heavy vehicles, and had some fun cornering on them as well in my Acura RDX. I observed zero odd wear. Again, this is DD'ing them and not actually tracking them. However, they are EV rated tires. They are meant to take stoopid amounts of instant torque. I doubt OP will have a problem in a lightweight gas car unless he likes to slide it around at an actual track. Yes, it will lower his performance limits by probably 5-10% over the summer tire. If he needs that last 5-10%, I would recommend an actual R compound tire, as well as CC2's for shoulder seasons, and some Xi3's or Nokians for the winter, so he can truly live his best life 1/4 mile at a time.
I do have experience driving CC2. Not performance tire by ANY means.
By yourself two sets if ypu want max summer or winter performance. Be all you can be.

I do have experience driving CC2. Not performance tire by ANY means.
By yourself two sets if ypu want max summer or winter performance. Be all you can be.
I mean, yes, that is optimal, but if you don't want to, it looks like on a 30 second course the PS4 and CC2 are separated by about 1 second, which is meaningful, but here is what the drivers had to say about it:

Our dry track testing yielded mostly predictable results, with the Pilot Sport 4S leading the way in all metrics. Our drivers praised the balanced handling, the alert and direct steering that felt just right, and the confident braking that always delivered the exact deceleration needed. The CrossClimate2 felt almost like a performance tire on the track. The front end was sharp and responsive, with direct, authoritative changes of vehicle trajectory, and the overall balance immediately felt familiar and capable. Despite the athletic feel, the compound lacked the grip to completely make good on the promise delivered by its persona. Our drivers couldn't carry as much speed into or through turns, and the rear end would step out under throttle at corner exit. Even with these somewhat mixed messages, the team enjoyed the CrossClimate2 on track and rated it slightly higher than the Ultra High Performance All-Season tire, surprisingly. The Pilot Sport All Season 4 was a step back from the leader in outright capability and lap times, closer to the touring all-season tires than the Max Performance Summer Pilot Sport 4S. The Pilot Sport All Season 4 responded eagerly to inputs and changed direction with authority, though our team wanted a more engaging driving experience. The steering was somewhat vague and disconnected. Even so, it demonstrated impressive outright traction and was fast and easy to drive, with strong braking and lateral grip.

So yes, as I said, not a full on track tire, obviously, but you make it sound like it won't work for a daily driven GTI, lol! It will. It will be fine.

I mean, yes, that is optimal, but if you don't want to, it looks like on a 30 second course the PS4 and CC2 are separated by about 1 second, which is meaningful, but here is what the drivers had to say about it:

So yes, as I said, not a full on track tire, obviously, but you make it sound like it won't work for a daily driven GTI, lol! It will. It will be fine.
Listen, my friend drives snow tires in the summer. Absolutely it will work.
i ran Bridgestone DriveGuard on track. Grand touring all season tire. 1.5-2sec slower than Yokohama Advan Apax V601.

I think the answer to my thread question is, yes, but I think I want a "mild" snow or winter tire, if there is such a thing.

We bought a VW GTI yesterday with 19" summer tires. I was thinking I'd get some used 18" VW wheels and run them 5-6 months a year with "winter" tires.

I live in Maryland, so snow (while we have a good bit today still) is not really an issue. What I think I want is tires with a good compound for below 45F degrees or so. Would three peak tires work? I don't know much about them.
How much driving will you do in the snow? The GTI sits fairly low to the ground so worst case is that you'll be driving on hard snow pack or does your DOT clear the roads of snow within a day or two? How consistently cold is it in MD? I noticed that the weather is going to be in the mid 40's to high 60's over the next week. With inconsistently cold weather and a DOT which clears road fairly quickly I would drive on HP A/S tires for the winter or maybe HP Winter tire if you want to hedge. I grew up in WNC (Appalachians) and our winter temps were always so swingy between from the 20's to the low 60's every couple of weeks. The biggest concern was refreeze melt water at night. We never drove on winters.

Last edited:
How does that reasonable narrow, high profile tire, helps in braking and handling, which are by FAR THE MOST important performance variables in snow and ice?
Narrow tire helps moving forward, not stopping!
My experience says they definitely make.a.difference.in handly in snow, low profile tires tend.to plow straight ahead in snow taller narrower help.with that and with front or AWD they pull.

My experience says they definitely make.a.difference.in handly in snow, low profile tires tend.to plow straight ahead in snow taller narrower help.with that and with front or AWD they pull.
Absolutely, but how does that help in handling and braking? I quoted a person who argues for all-season narrow tires! Not winter narrow tire.
I personally run narrow winter tires:
Atlas (255/50 R20) in winter 235/65 R18.
Tiguan (235/50 R18) in winter 215/65/R16
BMW (225/40 R18) in winter 205/50R17.

But those are winter tires. What benefit is to running all-season tires that then you have to run in summer? All-season tire is anyway "I will try to get away with it" tire.

If you have a true summer tire they will be dangerous in the winter.

If its an all-season you can get by but not optimal.

The type of tire makes the biggest difference, not width or sidewall height.

There is lots of tests showing how small the performance impact is from width and height makes.

go to tire rack or similar + get 4 narrower snow or all weather tyres mounted on 4 smaller cheeper alloy rims!! easy to remove + store in the summer. did that years ago for my enhanced 2001 1.8T jetta, NEVER got stuck in some brutal weather. your GTi may have electronic LSD help, BUT i had a mechanical Quaife LSD $$$$ installed + it was great with 4 195-65-15 snow tyres the size that comes on cheep! jettas! ever smaller narrower all season tyres "may" be ok + dont forget stopping that real softer compound snow tyres do best

OP has already made a decision but honestly, I think they would've been fine replacing the summer tires with UHP AS tires that can handle year round use. Conti DWS06+ seem like they would've been perfect.

OP has already made a decision but honestly, I think they would've been fine replacing the summer tires with UHP AS tires that can handle year round use. Conti DWS06+ seem like they would've been perfect.
I'll probably go that route when the summer tires wear out.

Agreed unless maybe the far western part of the state.

Back