New Car with Summer Tires: Need Winter Tires, Too?

With reasonably narrow, non low profile, all season tires on a FWD (preferably MT) one can get by in snow & marginal ice. Full blown ice storm means studless (or studded if legal) winter tires. Wife’s xB ALWAYS has them in winter, the Corolla has a set, but they’re not on yet (3 inches of snow & no ice I can manage). Wide, low profile, on a light RWD car is useless in my experience!
How does that reasonable narrow, high profile tire, helps in braking and handling, which are by FAR THE MOST important performance variables in snow and ice?
Narrow tire helps moving forward, not stopping!

May not be the best rated winter tires, but check out the Falken EuroWinter 439. Great value and served family well on front and rear wheel drive VWs, Porsche and now a BMW driving in Michigan.

"All weather" or "all season" tires are a compromise I'm unwilling to make. 3 seasons I run Michelin PSS. In the winter I run Vredestein high performance (W speed rating) snows.

"All weather" or "all season" tires are a compromise I'm unwilling to make. 3 seasons I run Michelin PSS. In the winter I run Vredestein high performance (W speed rating) snows.

This is the best answer to your actual initial question that was posted so far, you already know what you want as you posed it that way. So get a take off set of 18" OEM wheels they are all over facebook marketplace etc about $100 per wheel is standard pricing, you choose the dedicated actual WINTER SNOW tires you want to buy and then swap them pre thanksgiving to just after St patricks day and you will never look back. I choose this method about 7 years ago when I got a new WRX came with factory summer DUnlops that almost killed me first winter and I was not informed by dealership etc. Had no idea that real snow tires were even sold for performance cars until I started reading. Fast forward now I have the VW wagon going steady on its own dual wheel tire setup.

This is the best answer to your actual initial question that was posted so far, you already know what you want as you posed it that way. So get a take off set of 18" OEM wheels they are all over facebook marketplace etc about $100 per wheel is standard pricing, you choose the dedicated actual WINTER SNOW tires you want to buy and then swap them pre thanksgiving to just after St patricks day and you will never look back. I choose this method about 7 years ago when I got a new WRX came with factory summer DUnlops that almost killed me first winter and I was not informed by dealership etc. Had no idea that real snow tires were even sold for performance cars until I started reading. Fast forward now I have the VW wagon going steady on its own dual wheel tire setup.
Yep, agreed on best answer. Yes, you can get one of the new "all weather" tires but why? Winter tires on cheaper wheels saves your nice stockers from salt/damage. You get to pick whatever tire you want for summer then whatever snow tire for winter. You can take advantage of sales or favorite brands. And you don't need to compromise on anything. Want studded or the new "ice" rating? Sure, you can do that.

All-season performances like Michelin Pilot AS4 or Continental DWS06 are better suited for areas that have cold falls or springs, that transition period.
I use DWS06 from May to November, as here in CO, there is no month without snow. Smae is on two other cars.
If I lived in VA, PSS, P4S, etc. all the way in summer.

Does Maryland even really get winter though?
Does this count?
mARYLAND WINTER.jpg

So get a take off set of 18" OEM wheels they are all over facebook marketplace etc about $100 per wheel is standard pricing, you choose the dedicated actual WINTER SNOW tires you want to buy and then swap them pre thanksgiving to just after St patricks day and you will never look back. I choose this method about 7 years ago when I got a new WRX came with factory summer DUnlops that almost killed me first winter...
LOL Someone on the WRX forum was just saying it seems most 22+ WRXs he sees are still driving around on their OEM summer tires, which came standard on them. Slipping and skating around this time of year. I suppose some people have to learn the hard way.

CC2s are good, so are PSAS4. CC2 gives up maybe 10% traction vs PSAS4 in dry but takes that back in the rain. Neither are a good choice for track use. Both are more than plenty for a DD, even spiritedly. CC2 have longer treadlife, PSAS4 have 7-10% better fuel economy. Ive driven PSAS4 and CC2 on my EV6 GT, and since I don't track it and build up serious heat in the tire, I prefer CC2s for the wet traction, and slightly better snow and ice performance.

Itll be just fine if he's not actually tracking it.
I actually managed to chip all season tires on road, not performance ones, still harder than all weather.
So, drive it like GTI should be driven, it will lower ljmits of a car, and can damage tires.

I actually managed to chip all season tires on road, not performance ones, still harder than all weather.
So, drive it like GTI should be driven, it will lower ljmits of a car, and can damage tires.
Do you have experience driving on CC2's and seeing issues like this? I've put almost 30K miles on CC2 tires in all kinds of temperatures from around 100*f to -6*f. While not all of this was in a performance car, I did abuse the tires (launches, etc. in my RAV4 Prime, lol!) in relatively heavy vehicles, and had some fun cornering on them as well in my Acura RDX. I observed zero odd wear. Again, this is DD'ing them and not actually tracking them. However, they are EV rated tires. They are meant to take stoopid amounts of instant torque. I doubt OP will have a problem in a lightweight gas car unless he likes to slide it around at an actual track. Yes, it will lower his performance limits by probably 5-10% over the summer tire. If he needs that last 5-10%, I would recommend an actual R compound tire, as well as CC2's for shoulder seasons, and some Xi3's or Nokians for the winter, so he can truly live his best life 1/4 mile at a time.

Last edited:
Back