My solution to 'Change now or after my trip' ques

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long can you run oil in your unique vehicle with your unique driving conditions?

Dunno. But if I were worried, which it sounds you are, I would base my decision on the data in a UOA rather than opinions on a forum.

Originally Posted By: Benito
How long can you run oil in your unique vehicle with your unique driving conditions?

Dunno. But if I were worried, which it sounds you are, I would base my decision on the data in a UOA rather than opinions on a forum.

I have never ran a UOA on this particular car and I generally believe that for the cost of a UOA I'd rather just change my oil. I do believe my thinking on this subject is sound despite all who say "you might as well just change it while you're under the car"....that wouldn't prove anything.
I plan to D&R a quart and run a UOA afterwards to see if I'm right (of course I will never know how the UOA would have looked if I didn't D&R the quart but oh well... .

It appears to be the consensus of most on this forum to be the following:

Conventional oil - 5K
Synthetic Blend - 6K
Full Synthetic - 7.5K
Premium Full Synthetic - 10K

Sine you are going to drain a quart out anyway, and you use conventional oil, just change it as you will be at about the limit of conventional oil.

You would not be needing to do this if you would run say Mobil 1, just saying.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I plan to D&R a quart and run a UOA afterwards to see if I'm right (of course I will never know how the UOA would have looked if I didn't D&R the quart but oh well... .

33.gif

Toyota has its own issues with various engines.

I wouldn't take conventional oil past 5k in a Toyota without UOA data to back it up.

Do a complete oil filter change or don't bother. Either way, what happens will be your fault.

Better off replenishing filtration!

Originally Posted By: stchman
It appears to be the consensus of most on this forum to be the following:

Conventional oil - 5K
Synthetic Blend - 6K
Full Synthetic - 7.5K
Premium Full Synthetic - 10K

I can't speak for others, but I don't strictly agree with those numbers, and I'd say that Ford doesn't either.

... One major thing that would affect those numbers, at least for me, is the car being used. For some cars, 5k on dino would be pushing it, but for other cars, 5k on dino is easy.

For me, and my daily driver - my 2010 Fusion - those numbers are way off. Ford specs a 7,500 mile OCI for this car under normal driving conditions, using their semi-synth. I have found that running a 'home-brew' blend of about 75% dino and 25% synth also works very well for the same 7,500 mile OCI - This using a regular MC FL400s filter.

.. so based on this, and assuming a premium filter, I'd adjust those numbers to:

Conventional (SuperTech, VWB, Peak) ~ 5-6K
Premium Dino (PYB, QSGB)/ Synthetic Blend (MC, VML, 76Super) ~ 7-9K
Full Synthetic (QSUD, Valv Synth) ~ 10-12K
Premium Full Synthetic (PP, M1 EP)~ 15K+

I'll qualify them by saying anyone considering the really long runs, like the 15K+, should get a UOA done from time to time.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: pbm

33.gif

+1

Why not send off for the UOA now?

The result will be emailed to him and he can make his decision while on his trip ie do nothing, get a full change, or top up (slight overfill if necessary or there may be consumption anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back