When to change engine oil in 2023 Tundra

What should I do?

First oil change at 2700 miles. Now at 6k on the oil (so total 8700 on truck, non hybrid) with 2k mile road trip in front of me. The road trip will be towing 16ft 5k pound travel trailer for 1k of that 2k trip total, this is first towing on truck. All other driving is every day type, nothing harsh and I'm easy on it with no hot rodding or excessive idling etc. That means the current oil will be at 8k at end of upcoming trip. Should I change it before the 2k road trip or just wait till after and call it good?
thanks in advance
:)

So if my math is correct which it probably is not because math sucks, you have about 3,300 on your current oil change?.

Me personally I would change it before a trip, but you still have a few thousand miles left on that oil change. I would try to keep it to 5,000 mile intervals, 6,000 max. Unless Toyota lists something specific about towing for X amount of miles in your owners manual it should be fine.

You've got a 2023 Tundra, that you're about to put it through its paces with a hefty road trip. As the saying goes: "If you're going to do something, do it right." And that means taking care of that truck like it's an investment—because it is.

Towing a 5k pound trailer isn't a walk in the park. That engine's going to work overtime, and you want it running like a well-oiled machine—literally. Don't play games with this. Change that oil before you hit the road. Why risk wear and tear when you can prevent it?

Now, I've heard all the talk about modern oils and engines and how they can go longer between changes. But here's some common sense: if you're pushing your truck harder, especially with towing, it's going to need more frequent care. It's just like personal finance; you've got to be proactive, not reactive.

And for heaven's sake, check that owner's manual. If the Tundra's got a 10k interval, cut it in half, or at least to 75%. And remember, conditions change everything. Towing isn't your everyday drive to the grocery store.

Bottom line: Treat your Tundra right, and it'll treat you right. Change the oil before the trip. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind and a truck that'll last. Do the smart thing. Safe driving.

I’d change it, the thing is practically brand new and you’re about to take it on a 2,000 mile road trip hauling a trailer. But that’s just me.

And I am a fan of 10,000 mile intervals on the right engine, and the right driving conditions. Hauling a trailer 2,000 miles does not fit under normal driving conditions for me. Just my opinion.

You get two free changes on a new Toyota don't you? I'd take in to get it changed for free. Tell them you're going on a long road trip and towing a camper incase they ask why it's early.

When new and the engine is breaking in, I beleive more frequent oil changes are not a waste if you plan to keep it. Then start spreading them out as the engine wear stabilizes.

Agreed, change the oil and 5w-30 is definitely a better choice when it comes to towing!

Same CAFE crap as always. Your statement should be that Toyota US "requires" 0w20 !

Here is the Landcruiser VJA300 2021- manual from UK with the same V35A-FTS engine.

View attachment 176985

I totally agree, this CAFE BS is out of control. Toyota seems to hide this in the current manual. How they word it for my Tacoma, 2nd paragraph. Probably the same in his manual, but of course no oil chart.

Attachments

• IMG_1062.jpeg
    IMG_1062.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 136
Back