Mixing 5 quarts Mobil 1 EP + 0.7 quart M1 AFE 0W-20

Hello!

I’ve got a turbocharged car that I use as my daily driver. I’m planning to attend a few HPDE track days events. I normally follow the maintenance minder on the car or until it hits ~13000 km/1 year. My car doesn’t suffer from fuel dilution.

Considering I’ll be tracking the car and it’s a bit harder on the oil, I figured I’d switch to an oil with a longer service life, like Mobil 1 EP. Up here in Canada we only get the 5 quart bottles of M1 EP 0w20. 1 quart bottles of M1 0w20 are all AFE.

Do you think it’s worth buying two big jugs of EP, or 5 quart EP + topping the last 600ml with AFE? By my calculations I’d have a ratio of 88% EP and 12% AFE (5.7 quart total)

I plan to get an oil analysis after this change.

What influences the the oil’s service life on a UOA is not the same thing that makes it appropriate for the track.
You are probably correct! I’m not trying to set any lap records or anything. I figure having a longer rated oil in the engine won’t hurt anything.

Car is bone stock, so I’m not bothering swapping viscosity or going for the bespoke oils.

You'd be fine to mix them, but if you're doing another change maybe it's worth the 2nd 5qt jug?

Yes I think I’ll just do this. Leave the second 5qt in my garage and then just continue to pick up 1x 5quart each change for the next few years.

Yes I think I’ll just do this. Leave the second 5qt in my garage and then just continue to pick up 1x 5quart each change for the next few years.
Good plan, also you'll probably save some $$$ instead of paying the quart bottle penalty. Also maybe they sell some 12qt boxes near you that'd be even cheaper?

Hello!

I’ve got a turbocharged car that I use as my daily driver. I’m planning to attend a few HPDE track days events. I normally follow the maintenance minder on the car or until it hits ~13000 km/1 year. My car doesn’t suffer from fuel dilution.

Considering I’ll be tracking the car and it’s a bit harder on the oil, I figured I’d switch to an oil with a longer service life, like Mobil 1 EP. Up here in Canada we only get the 5 quart bottles of M1 EP 0w20. 1 quart bottles of M1 0w20 are all AFE.

Do you think it’s worth buying two big jugs of EP, or 5 quart EP + topping the last 600ml with AFE? By my calculations I’d have a ratio of 88% EP and 12% AFE (5.7 quart total)

I plan to get an oil analysis after this change.
It would help to know what vehicle.

But, my $0.02, as someone who tracks vehicles, get yourself Mobil1 0W40 or ANY oil that combines MB229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals. Porsche A40 has track-specific requirements.

It would help to know what vehicle.

But, my $0.02, as someone who tracks vehicles, get yourself Mobil1 0W40 or ANY oil that combines MB229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals. Porsche A40 has track-specific requirements.

Hi,
It's a 2020 FK8 Civic Type R. 2.0L Honda turbo engine.

Yeah, go something like Mobil1 0W40, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, etc. Anything that has MB229.5 and Porsche A40.
Where are you tracking? How long are the sessions? Altitude?

Will look into it!
I believe the sessions are around 20 minutes each.
I know TypeR's like to overheat if you push them too hard over and over again - but to be honest I don't have the skill level to do that (yet ;)). I have no idea what the elevation is, but considering I'm in Canada it won't be too hot

Yeah, go something like Mobil1 0W40, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, etc. Anything that has MB229.5 and Porsche A40.
Where are you tracking? How long are the sessions? Altitude?
At the minimum. If it were my car I'd use a dedicated track oil, but maybe that's just me. I'd call up Red Line or HPL, tell them exactly what I was doing and take their recommendation. I certainly would not be mixing my own.

Will look into it!
I believe the sessions are around 20 minutes each.
I know TypeR's like to overheat if you push them too hard over and over again - but to be honest I don't have the skill level to do that (yet ;)). I have no idea what the elevation is, but considering I'm in Canada it won't be too hot
Heat is not an issue as altitude is. Does Type R has dedicated radiator type oil cooler or is it fluid heat exchanger (coolant/oil)?
Doesn’t matter skill level. Actually less skill drivers tend to over heat cars faster than skilled. If you think you want to do this somewhat regularly, consider radiator type oil cooler!

Back