When to change engine oil in 2023 Tundra

His 2023 is under warranty. Why would anyone jeopardize their warranty by using an oil which is not recommended?
It’s not specific on which grade to run but towing a trailer is what I would consider a load. I run 5w-30 in mine because I tow some and run 80mph on the highway for sometimes 3-12 hours straight without shutting it off or stopping other than fuel. Not sure what everyone else makes of this but I don’t think it would be a problem to run a 30 weight oil. Especially with the turbos and as hot as they run.

It’s not specific on which grade to run but towing a trailer is what I would consider a load. I run 5w-30 in mine because I tow some and run 80mph on the highway for sometimes 3-12 hours straight without shutting it off or stopping other than fuel. Not sure what everyone else makes of this but I don’t think it would be a problem to run a 30 weight oil. Especially with the turbos and as hot as they run.
It is no issue to run a higher grade oil. The manuals are often tricky here w/r to wording.....in one area they show this which clearly indicates a higher grade oil is preferred for some harsher conditions. Somewhere else I'm sure it says in a round about way to only use the oil type listed which here is a 20 grade. Run the 30.

Wow a bunch of great responses. Ok so it is, I'll get it changed with Toyota Care just before the trip.
Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful replies.
Oh one more thing, I read/heard somewhere that Toyota dealership does not use official Toyota oil. Is this true? (Evidence,??). Also would they tell me what they used when I'm in for the TC ? Thanks, you guys are very helpful!

Dealership is not obligated to use Toyota oil as long as they use an oil meeting the spec the engine calls for. Most buy in drums of other oils for less than the Toyota oil.

It is no issue to run a higher grade oil. The manuals are often tricky here w/r to wording.....in one area they show this which clearly indicates a higher grade oil is preferred for some harsher conditions. Somewhere else I'm sure it says in a round about way to only use the oil type listed which here is a 20 grade. Run the 30.
I agree you have read it carefully , which I usually do and I caught that as well. I’ve put several hundred thousand miles in Toyotas and have never had an engine problem. I feel safer using a 30wt. To each his own though a 20wt would probably be fine to.

Easiest way to break a toyota is to do 10k OCI's. Doesn't matter what oil as long as there is oil, but 5K or bust.
Eeehhh…my 4.0L says otherwise. 6000-7000 oci with M1 EP or Amsoil XL and a few 10K runs on SS 0W30. 128K total. Be proactive in checking your oil and you’ll be fine. No oil loss between intervals. I’d still do six month intervals if I had the tundra with the same regimen. IMG_1777.jpeg

OP, do whatever makes you comfortable. I would say it really doesn't need to be changed. I have a 4.7L 2007 Tundra that I purchased used with 25k miles. It now has 330,000 miles with oil changes every 6k to 7k, occasionally run to 8k. Occasionally tow a two horse trailer, but only a few times a year. I use whatever 5w-30 synthetic is on sale or rebate with a toyota oil filter, mostly Kirkland Signature, but QS, Mobil, or Pennzoil too. Doesn't consume any oil. Every 80k it gets the timing belt, drive belts, and water pump replaced along with all the fluids...transfer case, transmission, brake, coolant and power steering.

The owners manual
Clearly states that if you are towing that you should go up in viscosity and oil change is required at 5k not 10k. Y’all kill me.
I believe the confusion is because they removed the oil chart from the user manual in the wording is difficult for them to understand.

I think this scenario would qualify as high load conditions per the manual, Put 0W-40 and truck on with your trailer.
I run 40 weight in my 3.5 Tacoma year round, towing or not. 0w winter and 5w summer. Love the stuff.

What should I do?

First oil change at 2700 miles. Now at 6k on the oil (so total 8700 on truck, non hybrid) with 2k mile road trip in front of me. The road trip will be towing 16ft 5k pound travel trailer for 1k of that 2k trip total, this is first towing on truck. All other driving is every day type, nothing harsh and I'm easy on it with no hot rodding or excessive idling etc. That means the current oil will be at 8k at end of upcoming trip. Should I change it before the 2k road trip or just wait till after and call it good?
thanks in advance
:)
How much oil (in quarts) gets drained from that Tundra. Knowing that may help solve this. If it's 6+ quarts, I'd leave it in for 6k. For almost new Toyota Tundra owners, 6k OCI having 6+ quarts capacity wont harm or wear down anything in that engine.

Enjoy your trip and sleep well.

Last edited:
How much oil (in quarts) gets drained from that Tundra. Knowing that may help solve this. If it's 6+ quarts, I'd leave it in for 5-6k.
7.7 is the capacity I believe, maybe a bit more. Turbo DI engines are fuel dilution monsters in my experience. Especially on thin CAFE oil.

Maybe a few Tundra owners here with that specific engine, can chime-in and share their experiences with dilution.

If no one bears witness with a hands-on reply, then be on the safe-side and change it, just prior to leaving out of town.

I'm betting that this engine can take your little towing abuse like a champ and the truck will arrive back home from the trip in great shape. You won't have to punt or forfeit the game.....lol

Thankfully, this thread is not about towing with one of my HyunKia's or somebody's Honda with the dreaded diluter 1.5 engine.

Last edited:
BITOG: 88 days after OP posts (only twice) and we are still debating someone elses truck. I love this forum.

I wouldnt have bought it, that V6TT is risky. Good luck OP, if we ever see you again. It might blow if you dont come back and tell us what happened.

How much oil (in quarts) gets drained from that Tundra. Knowing that may help solve this. If it's 6+ quarts, I'd leave it in for 5-6k.
7.7 is the capacity I believe, maybe a bit more. Turbo DI engines are fuel dilution monsters in my experience. Especially on thin CAFE
Maybe a few Tundra owners here with that specific engine, can chime-in and share their experiences with dilution.

If no one bears witness with a hands-on reply, then be on the safe-side and change it, just prior to leaving out of town.

I'm betting that this engine can take your little towing abuse like a champ and the truck will arrive back home from the trip in great shape. You won't have to punt or forfeit the game.....lol

Thankfully, this thread is not about towing with one of my HyunKia's or somebody's Honda with the dreaded diluter 1.5 engine.
Even though the OP is probably long gone, still an important subject. This guy has some very good videos.

OP still here :)

And thanks for the great replies y'all. I'm back from the towing trip for some time now (1250 miles towing, 2k miles total on this trip). Truck is now at 13k and planning the next oil change before it hits 14k, which would be 5.3k on the oil, towing an all.

I've learned that the Toyota advertised "Toyota Care" plan really only gets you 3 oil and oil filter changes, plus tire rotations (no balance, just blind rotate). OK, they fill up the windshield wiper fluid...big deal :p

Besides that Toyota Care is worth almost nothing. Oh, they'll try to up-sell you on engine air filter, cabin air filter and probably some other things as the vehicle nears the 15k mark. I can now see why Toyota Inc decided to "offer" this program: it's a cash cow for them as a lot of people will buy into their additional service "while it's in the shop anyways".

Have a great day and thanks to all for great replies :)

OP still here :)

And thanks for the great replies y'all. I'm back from the towing trip for some time now (1250 miles towing, 2k miles total on this trip). Truck is now at 13k and planning the next oil change before it hits 14k, which would be 5.3k on the oil, towing an all.

I've learned that the Toyota advertised "Toyota Care" plan really only gets you 3 oil and oil filter changes, plus tire rotations (no balance, just blind rotate). OK, they fill up the windshield wiper fluid...big deal :p

Besides that Toyota Care is worth almost nothing. Oh, they'll try to up-sell you on engine air filter, cabin air filter and probably some other things as the vehicle nears the 15k mark. I can now see why Toyota Inc decided to "offer" this program: it's a cash cow for them as a lot of people will buy into their additional service "while it's in the shop anyways".

Have a great day and thanks to all for great replies :)
Agreed, any oil change plan is not worth it.

Back