My solution to 'Change now or after my trip' ques

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm
I hear ya..but as I'm semi retired I have plenty of time.

I think you should fully retire so that you can worry about your Corolla full-time instead of part-time.
grin.gif

I like your idea, especially since I own a Miti-Vac and can extract the oil from the dipstick. I've never done it but I'd consider it vs. dropping the oil before the trip. OTOH I wouldn't pull the drain plug, or remove and replace the filter to get the quart of oil out for the refresh.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

I think you should fully retire so that you can worry about your Corolla full-time instead of part-time.
grin.gif

Amen. Drain one quart? Funny stuff.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

grin.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I'm going to drain a quart and add a fresh quart before the trip to replentish additives.

What are your thoughts on my theory?

Complete waste of time. If you are going to the trouble of getting under the car to change out 1 quart of oil, you might as well just change the oil. A complete, utter, waste of time to save $8 worth of conventional oil.

Your car has 80% highway on it. Adding another 2K miles on it and changing at 6K miles will be PERFECTLY fine. If you cant stand the idea of going that long, than just change it (all of it, not one quart) before you go.

/Close thread

I think Bill in Utah has done several UOAs on his Corolla and those things produce terrific results, syn or dino oil. At the miles the oil has on it just go and change it when your back home. Check level before leaving - that's it!

Originally Posted By: Rand
Use good syn oil, dont worry about it change when convenient.

Personally though if it worried me enough to post about it.. I would have just changed it.

I wouldn't say it 'worried' me but rather I have come to change my thinking since joining this forum. I think by adding a qt. I get the benefits of fresh additives (and an easing of my 'worried mind') while still having the wear protection and better mpg's of seasoned oil.

I'd change it now before the trip.

I know highway miles are easier than miles around town as far as oil contamination on a per mile basis.

However, trip/highway use introduces a new set of challenges for the vehicle as a whole.

You'll be running the engine at load for protracted periods of time.

You will stress the cooling system to the max.

You'll be pushing more air through the engine and using fuels that might be somewhat different from your normal fill up.

Any problems you might have can and will show up.

It's good insurance to just change your oil early.

Instead of worrying about changing the oil before or after a trip how about checking the tire pressures including the spare, instead?

You could create a new site, Bob is the Air Pressure Guy. Mr. Winters would have be proud of you.

Originally Posted By: hatt
The oil level is likely a little down after 4000 miles. Just top it off if you're worried. No way I'd get under the car to pull the plug and not drain all the oil.

+1 to this.

Getting under it and opening up the drain plug for one quart is silly.

If you've got 4k miles @ 80% highway, then you could easily go another 2k miles on the highway and still probably have life left in the oil. Just wait until you get back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Use good syn oil, dont worry about it change when convenient.

Personally though if it worried me enough to post about it.. I would have just changed it.

I wouldn't say it 'worried' me but rather I have come to change my thinking since joining this forum. I think by adding a qt. I get the benefits of fresh additives (and an easing of my 'worried mind') while still having the wear protection and better mpg's of seasoned oil.

You probably won't notice any measurable differences in MPG with your proposed plan. I think you are better off just changing it out now before your trip if you are that concerned about it, or leave it until you get back. 6-6.k on dino is no big deal these days.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I know highway miles are easier than miles around town as far as oil contamination on a per mile basis.

However, trip/highway use introduces a new set of challenges for the vehicle as a whole.

You'll be pushing more air through the engine and using fuels that might be somewhat different from your normal fill up.

[However, trip/highway use introduces a new set of challenges for the vehicle as a whole.] "Challenges"...lol Not really. The challenges are day to day city driving. Hihnway and long distance running is what cars love.

[You will stress the cooling system to the max. ] Again...NOT. Highway miles are if anything, easier on your car then stop and go city driving.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

And how will changing the oil early make any difference with regard to the potential problems/challenges that you've noted?

Besides, they're not really problems, as far as I can see. Yes, you're putting constant load on the engine, but it's a very light load that is needed just to cruise on the hwy.

You are not stressing the cooling system because you're running at light load. Besides, airflow at hwy speeds helps with the cooling process.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
And we're off....

Hey, I did not say I would not partake in this hair splitting competition. Although I really should have.
smile.gif

if you're thinking your oil is SOO bad, that it needs a band-aid fix, you should've changed it long time ago.
This same goes for those who insist on trying to drain out every drop.

You should never be on such a ragged edge that changing 1 quart suddenly makes the difference between good and bad, or half a quart of the "old" oil in the system is also "bad".

If it was that bad or damaging, think of all the miles you were driving on just prior to the oil change.
That's like having the mental image of your tires are not just worn to the wear indicators, not just worn through all the rubber, but actually having belts showing through; so adding the extra quart makes the difference

Last edited:
An alternative answer would to be to change it out, and buy a couple of bottles of Shannow's oil seasoning, a careful blend of over the counter products, aged gently in a range of apparatus including a supercharged 6, and a turbodiesel 4.

I can custom blend the seasoning treatment, although you'll need to use A3/B4.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
An alternative answer would to be to change it out, and buy a couple of bottles of Shannow's oil seasoning, a careful blend of over the counter products, aged gently in a range of apparatus including a supercharged 6, and a turbodiesel 4.

I can custom blend the seasoning treatment, although you'll need to use A3/B4.

LMAO...but I prefer 'seasoning' in my own engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back