Motul Gear 300 & HPL Differential Life 75W90 VOA comparison!

This is gonna be lit! May even need a new, separate thread to put all the new info into. Try to beat 11/9 as that’s my face-to-face with the lab to deliver samples 👍🏻
The most interesting sample I’m gonna send ya is a quart of Shell Spirax 80w-90
It’s synthetic
Price is cheap compared to other synthetic brands

from what I’ve been told, Ford uses its Motorcraft 75w85 across MANY of its trucks and cars. That’s a big inventory Of vehicles on the road. So testing a sample of that might have big bang for the many many readers. It would satisfy the itch to learn how much better the foo-foo oils are vs factory, and how much different they are from 75w90. Not sure if Motorcraft would be representative of Mopar, Toyota, or GM equivalents. Also a sample of 75w110 (and I vote Amsoil Severe Gear) would also be interesting to differentiate these from the allegedly “too thin after the grade specs were altered” 75w90’s. Or Redline, or evidently HPL now makes a 75w110, from what I inferred above.

I wish an Eaton rep would chime in and tell us what parameter makes good in their Tru-Trac (Torsen). It pisses me off they have actual specs/standards for other gear fluids but just the lame “Dino good and Synthetic bad“ verbiage for the Tru-Trac…with no quantifiable justification. I mean how much friction do they need, and how bad is that friction for everything else the fluid touches? But lacking that input from Eaton, would you test a Dino 80w90? if so, I’ll pitch in a quart of MasterPro or SuperTech Dino,or maybe even Lucas if I can find it just so we know how much different From the foo-foo’s. (Generally I prefer foo-foo myself, though Eaton prefers Dino 80w90 for their Torsen, hence the interest)

I’ll PM you @SubieRubyRoo on how to get it to you, if you're open to that. Could be a contrast to the Spirax (synthetic) Ford250 is sendingyou.

Attachments

• 04518466-8149-470E-85B6-C4E9D2712700.jpeg
    04518466-8149-470E-85B6-C4E9D2712700.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 17
Ok all, @ford250 has broken the supply chain! This series of 75w90 testing will be grinding to a halt with the return of the lab results… thanks to ford250 and the previously mentioned donors, we will have 6 additional 75w90s tested, bringing us to 11 total.

Ford250: Shell Spirax 75w90 GL-5 MT-1
Subaru High Performance 75w90 (Idemitsu)
Ultra Plus 75w90 GL-5
AC Delco Dexron 75w90 GL-5

And the previously sent:
Valvoline Synpower 75w90 GL-4, GL-5, MT-1

Ravenol VSG 75w90 GL-4 GL-5

I will post these 6 gear oils in their own thread and carry over the chart from this thread to tie it all together.

Ok all, @ford250 has broken the supply chain! This series of 75w90 testing will be grinding to a halt with the return of the lab results… thanks to ford250 and the previously mentioned donors, we will have 6 additional 75w90s tested, bringing us to 11 total.

Ford250: Shell Spirax 75w90 GL-5 MT-1
Subaru High Performance 75w90 (Idemitsu)
Ultra Plus 75w90 GL-5
AC Delco Dexron 75w90 GL-5

And the previously sent:
Valvoline Synpower 75w90 GL-4, GL-5, MT-1

Ravenol VSG 75w90 GL-4 GL-5

I will post these 6 gear oils in their own thread and carry over the chart from this thread to tie it all together.
The Subaru sample is just for you !!

@SubieRubyRoo And??? If in different thread, please provide link
Still waiting. Will reach out Tuesday to see where everything is at. Do remember that this level of testing is quite time- and labor-intensive for the lab; just the KRL test alone is 20 hours per oil, meaning more than 6 full work days just for that one test result for the group. I’m sure the results will be worth the wait 👍🏻

Back