Mega 75w90 testing thread!

What stuff was that?
I have most often used Valvoline because it was available, which if I am reading your tables correctly it isn't that great. However I do change it every 30K, so probably doesn't matter.

Suggestions on what to try next - which will be a while because I think I have enough valvoline for at least one more change? I have used Mobil 1 before also.

In my opinion
I think the Shell Spriax is the sleeper of all the test
It’s cost is low compared to the high end products and it scores very well for daily drivers like the majority of most drivers
I like that high anti oxidation number and did pretty good on the shear test too.
Good for me since it could take me 5 to 7 years to run up enough miles to hit rear end oil change numbers.

IMHO, the Amsoil still looks great. Of course, the HPL is also great, especially the non-CC version (Which is a bit odd the CC version isn’t just as great). The Motul is the “thinnest” great one, so could be the “go-to” for 75w-85 requirements.

I ended up NOT sending a sample to Suby, so can’t take credit...someone else deserves the credit.

FWIW,I just had work done on my 07 Subaru Outback XT trans/center dif, and refilled with Motul 300/Redline lightweight shockproof mix, approx 3-1 ratio…which is different from 50-50 prior ratio. Long long somewhat bitter story, and not 100% by design. but shifts great. Next up is Ford Transit rear diff, and thinking Amsoil SG, or maybe HPL non-CC. After unexpected high Subaru expense, might not be able to swing the Torsen rear upgrade, so cheaper may prevail over better for the time being...though ”better” fluid for Torsen still unresolved.

I have to call out that I don’t know how to compare the KRL results of the 2nd batch to the 1st. I assume the 2nd batch final column compares to the 1st batch final column, for Percent change after 20 hrs, but we don’t know the initial KRL as we do in the 1st batch, nor if % change of the 1st batch is the 20 hr figure. Or are they totally not comparable?

regardless, Suby went over and above on this, so kudo’s!!!!! Totally!!!

Last edited:
What does KLR % difference mean? Is lower % or higher % better?
KRL % is merely the percentage difference between the KV100 at the start of the 20-hour shear test vs. the ending KV100; a lower % means there is less mechanical shearing.

Both an overall lack of VIIs in the gear oil, or the use of extremely shear-stable star VIIs used in good gear oils are contributing factors to a good result here.

Update on the Brookfield and Pour Point tests: it appears I had not clearly communicated to the lab which tests we needed run, so they were not accomplished with the data above.

Great news is, the lab is very meticulous and still has the remaining amounts of the quarts donated by @ford250 and @SNWMBL, and will run the tests over the next coming days. So, due to my error there will be a delay, but the lab is coming to the rescue! Stay tuned…

I never see the 75w and 85w 140 gear oil tests.
Not many applications seem to call for them, and the folks that do have them never seem to test them.

However, I do have to ask, do you have an application that calls for a 140 grade gear oil? The 75w90 HPL is robust enough that Richard Petty’s car haulers use it with no failures, that seems pretty stout to me?

I'd love to see and elite 75W-110 shoot out. Hahahahhaha
I can always pull a 75w110 sample from my rear diff after awhile; I bought the 110 before Dave reassured me the 90 was more than up to the task. I also have a little amount of it new also.

I also think I’ve got some fresh SVG 75w110 still. Time will tell if I can finagle another favor this big out of the lab LOL…

Last edited:
75W-140 is common in anything offroad, or almost anything Dana - although Nissan - which in some cases uses a Dana diff - has seemed to go back and forth between 140 and 90 on the same diff - depending on the year - so who knows.

75W-140 is common in anything offroad, or almost anything Dana - although Nissan - which in some cases uses a Dana diff - has seemed to go back and forth between 140 and 90 on the same diff - depending on the year - so who knows.
So did Ford… the one Martin referenced above from 2014 calls for 140, my 19 (still a 9.75” diff) only needs 75w90. But I was meaning as-delivered new for on-road use, not modded. I know some of the 3/4-1tons probably call for 140s but I haven’t seen a lot of folks here asking about them, either. Guess they already have their brand preference and just go with it 👍🏻

I can always pull a 75w110 sample from my rearend after awhile; I bought the 110 before Dave reassured me the 90 was more than up to the task. I also have a little amount of it new also.

I also think I’ve got some fresh SVG 75w110 still. Time will tell if I can finagle another favor this big out of the lab LOL…
I read that way too fast

I mean I would not expect huge difference in testing behavior.

Back